Feedback: The War On Violent Video Games

Posted: April 25, 2012
Feedback: The War On Violent Video Games
This week on Feedback, Blair Herter and crew discuss how violent video games are affecting gamers. Do video games really cause people to commit crimes, lash out, and be violent?

• Bishop_Knight

Donell Tucker must have written Demolition Man, and based it off his fantasy future.

I think military type games can teach tactics and help desensitize a person to violence. But whether a person uses that for good (like aiding someone in trouble) or bad (killing innocent people) will depend on their value system, reasoning ability and self control. Most people will probably never have to use tactics unless your law enforcement or military. Desensitizing a person to violence might help them stay calm in an emergency situation.

When you think of how much violence has been in mankind's history, it's really a miracle that we have the level of peace that we do.

My brother is in the military and boot camp not only conditions them physically but mentally too. All their tactics are reflexive, but not to the extent that they kill anyone. If that was the case, they would end up killing all of each other. They identify enemies, friendlies, neutrals and collateral damage and then the rest is instinctive/reflex from their training.

Posted: June 6, 2012 1:28 PM
    Bishop_Knight
  • ANTplayz360

Yea last time i checked osama bin laden played video games, OOO yea and hitler played video games to. People are just dumb that say video games cause violence. Violence is caused by the environment someone is raised and if someone is raised not understanding video games are not to be taken serious then there parents sucked. I play call of duty. GTA, etc and never do i have the urge to pick up a gun and shoot someone.

Posted: May 2, 2012 9:09 PM
    ANTplayz360
  • NextTimeGadget

Video games must be responsible for violence before they were created the human race was running hugging trees, having singalongs and dancing under rainbows.

Posted: May 2, 2012 3:50 AM
    NextTimeGadget
  • HellTrooper

This Arguement is invalid. The population who are against video games use any excuse to get at 'em.
    Not all video games even have violent content in them, and bascially everyone who owns a phone up to date plays atleast 1 game on it. even me own grandmother plays em now a days.. find something else to blame violent behavior on.

Posted: May 1, 2012 11:46 PM
    HellTrooper
  • jcgamer

video games dont make people violwnt....PEOPLE make video games violent

Posted: May 1, 2012 4:22 PM
    jcgamer
  • woweqdaoc

Video games do not make me violent.
    Taking away me video games make me violent!

Posted: May 1, 2012 1:05 PM
    woweqdaoc
  • Foshasta_Jones

We should run some experiments in the G4 studios. I'm a psychology guy, I can be reached anytime. We can put this issue to rest.

Posted: April 30, 2012 2:09 PM
    Foshasta_Jones
  • AndrewD

This topic makes me so mad, I've played violent video games all my life like Contra, Doom, MortalKombat, GTA, ManHunt, COD, BF, Gears of War and so many others I've never even got the urge to do harm to anyone, people like that guy don't want to take responsibility for there actions so they blame it on video games, there's more violent movies than games, I think it's how those individuals are raised so it's not the games or movies it's the person.

Posted: April 30, 2012 10:07 AM
    AndrewD
  • mightyquinn

is it just me or as interesting as this episode is I don't think the main focus for this mass murderer's motive is video games, its the fact that he is a hardline racist and that is why he killed all those people, don't get me wrong video games are wrongly blamed for a lot of things but I think they could have chosen a better example than that psycho white supremecist

Posted: April 30, 2012 9:59 AM
    mightyquinn
  • MaelStrom_

i can only speak for myself, but FPS does make me have more violent thoughts, though i try to keep cool

Posted: April 29, 2012 3:52 PM
    MaelStrom_
  • sicsmurf

its a stupid arguement. some of the most violent cultures dont have video games. the middle east, egypt, ect dont have video games for the most part.

Posted: April 28, 2012 10:02 PM
  • boredx

Hey g4tv could you please replace some of those hours of cops and cheaters with the Feedback or something like it. Thanks.

Posted: April 28, 2012 7:25 PM
  • coLtrain2000

Thanks guys. Great episode as usual :)

Posted: April 28, 2012 6:36 PM
    coLtrain2000
  • Richard_The_Gr8

This is kind of off topic, but I feel like the ISO was really off in this episode. Maybe its just me.

Posted: April 28, 2012 6:33 PM
    Richard_The_Gr8
  • Coleseph

To branch off of what Stephen was saying, I think that the realistic tangible future issue that people will soon be talking about is augmented reality. A complete virtual reality experience is still rather far off i think but augmented reality, while beginning to be implemented more and more, has not yet achieved any sort of critical success. The first steps to that happening I think are the google glasses. A complete reality separate from our own being an issue is still far off, but the very real backlash that will happen when people stop augmenting and start enhancing their reality will be a very interesting situation to watch. Love the show, guys. In all seriousness I plan on working with you at some point so see you then.

Posted: April 28, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Zero_12975

this stupid argument again. i'm not going to bother watching the vid, my opinon on this matter will always stand, people are violent BY NATURE. humanity has hardly ever known a moment of true peace. it pisses me off to no end when i see something like a shoot out by a teen and the new says "he plays games." that is so stupid! so what about a guy that ran off on a kill killing spree that never played games at all in his life?

all i see in this old argument is a game where people are trying to shift the blame from where it actually belongs, the PARENTS. no matter how you look at it, at it's core the parents are to blame. today parents let the TV watch their kids, some kids watch themselves. gone are the days when parents would actually discipline their kids, gone are the days when parents knew their owns kids so well they would know what's on their mind even when the kids so their best to hide it.

even assuming games DID make people violent, it still falls on the parents. who got the game? chances are, the parents. if the kid got it by himself, and the parent saw it, chances are, they would just let him keep it when they should take it away. gone are the days when parents knew what their kids bring in and out of their house.

it's a crying shame no one even considered doing any study into this possibility.

Posted: April 28, 2012 11:50 AM
    Zero_12975
  • silentanathema

It's frustrating hearing the news media talk about video games as the source of his violence. He also spent a lot of time in the manifesto talking about the world needing to be Christian. You don't see them blaming religion which I think most violence in the world stems from.

Posted: April 28, 2012 10:47 AM
    silentanathema
  • CustosIntusSilentium

Alright, so here's the deal with aggressive tendencies and so on in a nutshell - there really is nothing inherently specific to videogames or its effects are negligible at the most. What is observed is a increased trend toward "aggressive" actions for a duration after consuming violent media. The same is also true about other themes in media such as sexually explicit materials, depending on the person's current disposition. The result is generally either increased approach behavior or increased avoidance behavior. After this period, the effects dissipate and the person returns to their baseline. However, desensitization is a gradual process. As a person is repeatedly exposed to media, the person slowly, over the course of many years slowly, becomes desensitized to arousing material as the body readjusts to compensate for and understand a new level of arousal as "normal," acceptable, and non-threatening. Put another way, as the body undergoes repeated stress in a repeated situation, the mind understands it's not actually threatening, the body and mind learn not to attribute the consumed media to actual threat, thus, overt time, the person is unaware of the effect the stressor has, making them unaware of the gradual increase in aggressive tendencies. Another issue is the operational definition of aggression. Not all measures agree or use similar definitions. On a grand scale, one could point to American tendencies toward aggression and aversion to sex seen reversed in European expressions. This could also be caused or at least affected by cultural norms and values. *secretly wishing I had a mic to drop*

Posted: April 28, 2012 9:48 AM
    CustosIntusSilentium
  • DJTahoe

At about 14:30 Blair is right on!

Posted: April 28, 2012 8:58 AM
  • lilbrinkie

I m disappointed in how this feedback is really honing in on whether a violent behavior has been directly caused by violent video games. We should be asking questions about aggression, antisocial tendencies and attitudes. Also, how do violent games affect those with developmental or psychological disorders?

And to the point of Dexter being more likely to behave aggressively after playing Kinect Star Wars, I have some experimental data that lends itself to that thought (not directly, but tangentially). My senior research included playing 5 minutes of Pac Man Championship Edition DX (not aggressive, but certainly exciting), followed by a test of their likelihood to be interested in a neutral individual as a potential romantic partner or a friend (a lot more complicated, but I don t feel like posting 20+ pages). My results showed that those who felt most excited by the game were the most likely to say they didn t find a potential romantic partner attractive and didn t even want the person as a friend, which wasn t true of my control group. My posttest could certainly use more testing and tweaking for reliability and validity and one might call it a stretch to relate it to Dexter s behavior after playing a completely different game, but there s certainly some kind of connection there that deserves attention - something along the lines of affecting aggression, anxiety and/or sociality.

Posted: April 27, 2012 11:05 AM