Sessler's Soapbox: The Future According to Video Games

Posted: February 21, 2012
Sessler's Soapbox: The Future According to Video Games
Adam has been playing Syndicate which made him consider the possibility of a bleak, oppressive future run by evil corporations portrayed in many video games.

• spacelion88

Polished floors? Simple: It's the future! Robots roll around polishing the floors all day long, They roll up the sides of buildings making them shiny and clean.

Posted: May 7, 2012 8:01 AM
  • RAZIEL2K

i think that other perspectives would be great. licensed properties would be great, enter the matrix tried this idea of seeing things from another perspective than the main heroes would be great and i love th idea that each system have a different guy would be great even if it was the same missions it would be great to get the smart asses view as apposed to the guy who makes all the right moves. it would be hilarious for your avatar screaming profanity out of fear of being shot at

Posted: April 29, 2012 3:00 PM
    RAZIEL2K
  • ajax32

This made me think of that one Demetri Martin joke:
    "Hey, man, what are you playing?" "Super Busy Hospital. Could you leave me alone? I'm performing surgery! This guy got shot in the head, like, 27 times!"

Posted: March 3, 2012 10:01 PM
    ajax32
  • nuttyprof

No Soapbox this week?

Posted: February 28, 2012 9:24 PM
    nuttyprof
  • silverten

Welcome to the future -- where your floors are automatically polished by nano-based materials... No need to spend the money on the low man on the totem pole, probably they are the the guards that you shoot up or the random exec that get your ire... I have read that the Chinese are creating clothes that and clean themselves with sunlight and normal wear -- you don't have to wash your clothes -- so the shinier the better! I think you may be barking up the wrong tree -- maybe your cold has affected your brain...

The future is bright -- you'r going to need shades (to reflect the sun from the floors)!

Now if you focus on the subatomic particles doing all of the work of the common man -- that might be something to focus on... Man vs. the particles!

Posted: February 27, 2012 8:17 PM
    silverten
  • lowkevmic

@yapflip- I get what you're saying but I'm not tryin gto make this a political debate. Also, everything you mentioned, believe it or not corporations play a very big role in all of it...here is what you wrote.

I agree that corporations are corrupt, but the statement that corporations have more power than the government is an absolute fallacy.. corporations dont start wars overseas that kill hundreds of thousands of people. corporations dont collect taxes and steal enormous portions of peoples' incomes.. corporations dont arbitrarily start "drug wars" that put millions of people in prisons for non-violent "crimes".. corporations dont force kids to be indoctrinated for 13 years straight.. corporations dont blatantly murder and steal from people and call it "civic duty" or whatever bs..

1. No, corporations may not be responsible for the start of wars. But exactly who do you think own the companies who make weapons for both sides, and profit the most from war?? Hint: it's not the people...or even governement.

2. No, corporations do not make taxes and steal from people's paychecks. But their lobbyists do fight for certain tax codes and breaks that will help big corporations make more money and spend less on taxes. So the next time you wonder why you're check seem to have more and more taken out in taxes, yet CEO's are still able to remain billionaires...remember this little chat.

3. As for drug wars...lol. Have you ever heard of the pharmaceutical industry?? If you really think America's biggest drug problem is still crack, heroine, and meth. Then no more HBO's The Wire for you, and start watching the lines at your local drug store pharmacy, and see who's really addicted to what...

4. And if you really think going to school for 13 years is some type of punishment, then it's obvious that you yourself is either still in school, or didn't make the most of a free education while still educating yourself even after school hours. Not to mention a lack of an education is the leading cause of crime and jailtime. Which is a life in prision owned by who else?? You guessed it, big corporations!!

5. As for the whole murder and steal thing. I got two words for ya, Black Water!! This isn't some non-profit organization to play like a boys and girls club for ex military. It is a corporation, which makes its profit off of the business of war. Sort like the video games people play today that sort of plays with that concept. Except it really do exists.

I really don't understand people's need to defend an institiution that is not built for the people but instead for private ownership and personal profit. Nothing is wrong with the idea of capitalism, but we've sort of gone beyond that once there are more people then millionaires and billionaires in America, yet that small 1% owns 70% of the country's wealth. You do the math.

Posted: February 27, 2012 9:44 AM
    lowkevmic
  • kevinbowe

With an iPad application the gamer could create Helper characters. Helpers would enter future areas the main character will have to travel. The Helpers could do lots of things.

I could have a Scout helper that would simply check out areas before my main character entered them. I could have a Medic helper drop health at different locations for the main character to pickup later. I could have a Supply helper, leave ammo or weapons for me to pickup. I could have a Mechanic helper fix vehicles for me to use. An Engineer helper could hotwire the terminals so when my main character arrives at the terminals it s already hacked . I have an Assistant helper (redundant) buy and sell stuff.

Feel free to share my thoughts if they are worthy

Posted: February 26, 2012 9:14 AM
    kevinbowe
  • Funk_Doc

Adam you're my boy but sometimes you take it too far. There is probably only 2% of people who play games and in the middle of a shootout check out the floor and wonder why they are so shiny. And think of bad games like Syndicate janitor edition or a game about the innocent by-standards and the PTSD they go through. I see it now, hours of your character jumping when i firecracker goes off and nightmares or spending two hours talking to your therapist and then have a quest of raising enough money to pay for those bills. Sometimes you remind me of my old English teacher who wanted us to think too far about things. There is thinking deeply and there is this. Scale it back buddy.

Posted: February 24, 2012 2:02 PM
  • sucio721

Please please please bring Adam back to feedback !!!!! It was bad enough Abbie left.... The quality of the show has gone from educational gamers having great debates to random awkward time killing jibber jabber!!!! Please please please bring adam sessler back to feedback !!!!!
    Sucio721 here !!! :-)

Posted: February 23, 2012 9:19 PM
    sucio721
  • campbelltoe23

sess chew gum that usually helps me and the corporations already do run the gov't, fannie mae and freddie mac and all the other corporations got bail outs for running their businesses to the ground while the common working person or a person such as myself has to pinch pennies for school. Syndicate is an hyperbole of the current times.

Posted: February 23, 2012 8:14 PM
    campbelltoe23
  • Justindbz

A glass polishing game for the iPad... find a way to incorporate Angry Birds and I think you may just have a hit on your hands.

Posted: February 23, 2012 8:08 PM
    Justindbz
  • purplefartmonkey

BRILLIANT,SIMPLY BRILLIANT.

Posted: February 23, 2012 5:26 PM
    purplefartmonkey
  • horseflesh

It's the Roomba.

Posted: February 23, 2012 3:27 PM
    horseflesh
  • StarStruckGamer

Those are some awesome ideas.

Posted: February 23, 2012 1:43 PM
    StarStruckGamer
  • stinklebutt

Hilarious grand finale, Sess. Two thumbs up.

Posted: February 23, 2012 12:56 PM
    stinklebutt
  • AirborneMind

Adam, try yawning to pop your ears. Works for me all the time.

Posted: February 23, 2012 12:51 PM
  • KaptainMorganWo

Sessler is, honest to God, one of the best philosophs in the Gaming Media. You can talk about how bad G4 is all day, it doesn't change the fact that this guy is one of the best

Posted: February 23, 2012 10:27 AM
    KaptainMorganWo
  • Bloodthr0e

Bow your head between your legs and gulp if you want your ears to pop.

Posted: February 22, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Jporr0121

Adam, you might be forgetting that since it is the future, there doesn't necessarily HAVE to be janitors.

They could have an entirely automated custodial system or, on weekends, when buildings are empty, they may have some computer-guided auto-wash system for the windows and floors, or a new type of chemical could have been developed that cleans quickly, dries quickly, and leaves an impeccable shine/gloss for a long time to come.

I wouldn't put it past us to have something similar to those things I mentioned within the next 15 years or so.

Posted: February 22, 2012 5:22 PM
    Jporr0121
  • Zx2654

First robots clean the place and this is why I like Mega Man the only Problem is Doctor Wily

Posted: February 22, 2012 5:05 PM