The MMO Report: Thursday, February 2nd

Posted: February 2, 2012
The MMO Report: Thursday, February 2nd
Casey brings you news of a new trailer for The Secret World, marriage equality in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Uncle Casey's Mail Bag

• InvincibleOverlord

EQ should be given credit in the MMO genre the same way Windows Vista should be given credit for computer OS development.

Yes,EQ was a historical step in the evolution of MMOs but it introduced flawed, horrible gameplay mechanics that became traditions in the MMO genre. EQ firmly established the precedent started by Ultima Onilne that MMOs were only for a a tiny, niche audience of hardcores willing to shell out money for tedious. timesink gameplay. EQ was profitable but it's sales were laughably small compared to the major video game hits in the same era.

One should acknowledge history, And looking at history clearly shows that EQ only led to years or stagnation of the MMO genre until Blizzard came along and realized that the market for MMOs wasn't just basement dwelling hardcores. Even the mighty WoW still has some of the flawed traditions leftover from EQ which are only now finally being thrown aside by developers who understand the meaning of innovation. Something that has NEVER been in the vocabulary of old-school MMO developers.

Posted: February 15, 2012 6:02 PM
    InvincibleOverlord
  • Arkham Reject

I'm really not sure why I, as a Christian, should be offended by what he said. He was not in any way criticizing Christianity or its teachings. He was commenting on the obnoxiousness and stupidity of a private organization sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. Also if you bigots had read your bible you might know that Jesus never once made the comment: "I love all of you, except those damn gays." And ginger girls are hawt.

Posted: February 15, 2012 9:28 AM
    Arkham+Reject
  • morrowrosanna

my buddy's ex-wife makes $69/hr on the computer. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her income was $7891 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site... makecash16.com

Posted: February 15, 2012 7:01 AM
  • greghannibal

Apparently Casey thinks only non christian watch his show. Hey Casey, I know how everyone seems to worship the ground you walk on but I don't. Jesus Is Lord and you're just a butthole. I will no longer be watching your show.

Posted: February 14, 2012 10:58 PM
    greghannibal
  • ParrishPhilip

my roomate's ex-wife makes $79 hourly on the laptop. She has been out of a job for 9 months but last month her pay was $8641 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Go to this web site CashLazy.com

Posted: February 12, 2012 11:33 AM
    ParrishPhilip
  • thaddium

As a game and a Christian I found his rant abusive and insulting and he should try to be more objective or he will lose viewers

Posted: February 11, 2012 6:01 PM
    thaddium
  • kolz4ever

Can't blame those people at all. I sure as hell don't wanna see a bunch of "queens" in my game and I sure as hell wouldn't want a kid that is very young watching some d sucking diseased "queens" on a game that is just playing for entertainment.

Posted: February 8, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Eldrik

Just wanted to chime in that yes, Ultima Online was the first big MMO and it came out in 1997 and was AMAZING! Still one of the best mmo's of all time and deserves it respect before EQ does. Then again, if were going this route, don't forget Meridian 59, which came out before UO.

Posted: February 7, 2012 9:31 AM
    Eldrik
  • Choz

I've enjoyed watching your show for quite a while, but no more. As a person with red hair, I find your comment that, "...['gingers' are] completely worthless to modern society," to be more than a little offensive. As soon as I heard that comment I closed the browser and came to this site. I'm expecting an apology in the next show; else you'll have lost a viewer.

For the record, I did go back and finish watching the rest of the episode just in case you might have said something about it afterward, but I see I was right in the first place to just turn it off.

Posted: February 7, 2012 2:01 AM
    Choz
  • pfunkmort

I love how Casey stands up for the rights of gays against the venomous bigotry of ultra-conservatives...and then takes a pretty nasty pot-shot at red-headed people. But I guess that's justified...because you can be an offensive, bigoted prick...as long as south park says it's okay and society accepts it.

Posted: February 4, 2012 5:57 PM
    pfunkmort
  • Jaw7765

MMO report is always fun and interesting to watch...

Ever Quest...The memories of playing a character on my dads old account, can't believe that it's already thirteen years old.

The Secret World looks interesting with all the new content it shows, and I even signed up for the BETA. Though I still can see my time being spent on Guild Wars 2, even if Secret World is releasing before it. Then again, I do love to try different MMO's that may draw me away from World of Warcraft, and yet after about 12 different MMOs I can't be pulled away.

Same sex relationships shouldn't even matter in the virtual world, in real life, sure it may upset someone or in this case a group of people. However, who's to say what one can do inside a video game? I mean it isn't real, and it doesn't affect someone who thinks differently of who they love. I agree with Casey it shows how ignorant people can be, even when something as gay characters in a fictional world...People are who they are, can't change that. So for me, let it be and waste breath on something that's more concerning like I don't lemurs taking over the world.

TERA was another MMO I was closely following,but when I heard of the whole lawsuit and NCsoft stealing property images I was a little upset...I can see this as putting a delay on the release date but not a total cancellation on the game. However, I could be wrong and the whole thing could become dead. In any case I'll wait for, if it comes out play it for 12 days then not think of it.

Posted: February 4, 2012 5:43 AM
    Jaw7765
  • ilikain

Great show this week. I really appreciated the shout out to EQ. Although I could never play it today, it was ground breaking when it came out, and is the basis for my MMO love today. Keep up the good work!

Posted: February 3, 2012 10:59 AM
    ilikain
  • k2ill5a

likes this

Posted: February 3, 2012 9:44 AM
    k2ill5a
  • critterforhire

Good Lord, this channel/website has gone so far downhill in the last few years.....or maybe I'm growing up and care less and less about this stuff.

Posted: February 3, 2012 8:23 AM
    critterforhire
  • ScrooLewseWT

God damnit, when is Danny "Motherf-wording" Cooper going to get his own show?

Posted: February 3, 2012 6:39 AM
    ScrooLewseWT
  • DaelyhelAxon

Casey you really need to make a correction on the next Episode. As Macross2012 pointed out, Ultima Online was the first Graphical MMO that was released in 1997. It was what made EQ even a concept idea in the first place because they saw the possibilities of the MMO Market that UO had in it's control.

Be nice to see SWTOR add in Same Sex Relationships... but also like to see some Polyamory Relationships allowed as well.

Posted: February 3, 2012 5:21 AM
  • cry_of_paine

They're not the "most amusing group of self-righteous ignorant bible thumpers to ever walk the earth." That title goes to the Westboro Baptist Church. They do come in a close second though. Groups like this give real Christians a bad name. All they care about is publicity. What someone does in the privacy of their bedroom with another consenting adult is between the two of them and God (who/whatever they may or may not picture him/her/it to be). And whatever someone does in the privacy of their bedroom with an assortment of little squares of colored light is even less of anyone else's business. If these groups really wanted to make a difference and spread God's message, how about doing something useful, like feeding the poor, caring for the sick, comforting the destitute. You know, more time "loving thy neighbor", and less time "casting stones".

Posted: February 3, 2012 1:49 AM
    cry_of_paine
  • iMdmfc

Amazing show as always. My friend is waiting for the same gender marriage on his SWTOR character. Casey's got it right. Love knows no bounds.

-iMdmfc

Posted: February 2, 2012 4:18 PM
    iMdmfc
  • macross2012

OHHHH Casey,

EverQuest was NOT the first retail MMO. Ultima Online was the first MMO to go world wide on a pay scale.. EQ came out some time after..

It matters now..

I LOVE YOU CASEY! I REALLY, REALLY DO! *errr Sally Fields said that already*

BTW Casey would you like to have a cat as a guest on your show who plays video games and talks? Raises paw.. Yes thats me :)

Posted: February 2, 2012 2:17 PM
    macross2012
  • Celtcub

Casey hates Stupidity. Not his fault that Christianity and Stupidity intersect so often.

Posted: February 2, 2012 1:48 PM