Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 Demo Exclusive

Posted: January 17, 2012
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 Demo Exclusive
Completing the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo will get you bonus gear in Mass Effect 3, and vice versa. Game Designer Ken Rolston explains and gives Morgan Webb an exclusive look at Mass Effect 3 armor at work in Amalur.

• junkyarddawg83

this game will be amazing hands down :-)

Posted: January 21, 2012 7:10 PM
  • GamingTruth

Just tried the demo, and can easily say that I'm impressed with it so far. The way combat works in the game is my favorite part so far simply because you can easily switch weapons mid-combat without pausing the game.

Posted: January 21, 2012 11:39 AM
    GamingTruth
  • Danarchist

I really enjoyed this game actually, I like the freeform character development! I do have to say that this is the first game I have demo'd in years on my pc that made me decide im going to buy it for my xbox.
    The gameplay is going to destroy my mouse if i try to play it on pc hehe.

I don't think the complaints i read above were necessarily wrong, I can see the point of view has merit, but it was probably one of the most fun action RPG's I have played. Definitely better than Fable, which I still played through all 3. For a first game out of a new developer it was a damn solid build!

Posted: January 19, 2012 3:31 PM
    Danarchist
  • godzillaisyourdaddy

Played the Amalur demo and was not really wowed by anything. The main thing is, it is fun. It is a fun game to play, but an annoying game to look at. Let me explain. Graphically, this game is atrocious. It looks like a "open world" Dragon Age, with less accurate facial animations. The interface is also pretty ugly, with a decade old design that should have been more snappy. Skyrim had a far more interesting menus, especially with the constellations representing the perks. The demo showed nothing of that nature, just boring flat pictures. The voice acting I say is not that great from the characters I encountered, since they all seem to be speaking in a Scottish accent or a mundane British style.

The combat itself was pretty good, but not that satisfying since the enemies seem to allow you to hit them and before you know it, you killed them all before one even looks as if they are going to attack. I hope they get rid of the animation with the enemies, such as the Red Legion, of them seeing you and standing there pointing at you while you just walk up and start wailing on them, which is stupid. I want the enemies to fight back, put up some kind of challenge. However, the attacks you do are pretty fun to watch. My favorite one was that magic hook that pulls enemies towards you. One thing to note is that the Troll mini boss was way too easy. All you have to do is dodge, and constantly hit until it stuns itself practically twice at the same time, and you beat that thing in less than 2 minutes.

Environment wise, it is just big with hardly anything going on. I went through the large corridor in the beginning level of the game, expecting the environment to be doing something cool and epic, but was left disappointed.

All in all, the game was fun, which is what really matters, but it is not worth a buy for me since it did not make me wowed by anything. It needed a hook to get me to want it and it did not have anything to show. Voice acting, art, graphics, interface, and story did not bring anything great to the table from what I played. The best thing about the game is that combat is pretty smooth, slow, but smooth. You can switch from your primary to secondary on the fly which is a plus, and the attacks do look pretty cool; meaning that they got character animation right. The controls are simple as well, nothing overly complicating, especially if you played Mass Effect or Dragon Age, since the Dialogue Wheel and Item interface act similarly to the BioWare games. In short, fun, but not worth my money.

Posted: January 19, 2012 1:31 PM
    godzillaisyourdaddy
  • LongMuckDong

Great demo (even with the hairy ass bugs.. that audio FFWRD bug.. wow), but those will be ironed out pre-release or day 1 updated, no biggie - gonna be an epic adventure.. those Omni-blades look SICK also!

Posted: January 19, 2012 3:58 AM
    LongMuckDong
  • Papaspud

too bad the demo doesn't really work on my PC. When you try to remap the controls it remaps them all to a random key, so you set them back to default....play 10 minutes and the movement keys stopped working. At that point I decided this was a pass for me, the mass effect stuff was nice though.

Posted: January 18, 2012 10:56 PM
    Papaspud
  • Papaspud

Posted: January 18, 2012 10:55 PM
    Papaspud
  • Namzor

Rather enjoyed the demo. Had to quit halfway through the first time and it doesn't allow you to restart from where u left off. So played it again from the beginning. Not a first day purchase for me, but I will play it eventually. I prefer these type of unlocks as opposed to "paying" for them by purchasing something from somewhere.

Pre-order bonuses are the worst though and should be digested in a Sarlacc Pit! Make em all the same or don't do it at all. /endrant

Posted: January 18, 2012 4:36 PM
    Namzor
  • Anhell

I played this demo and it really good, it reminds me of a mature version of fable. Which is what I was looking for, out dark souls, skyrim I choose this game.

Posted: January 18, 2012 5:28 AM
    Anhell
  • JariahSyn1990

I played the Kingdoms demo and to me its a pass. The mass effect rewards were a nice gift for slogging through it though.

Posted: January 18, 2012 12:10 AM
    JariahSyn1990
  • gamerjes

Though I am torn on just what rewards should offered in these kinds of cross-game marketing, I find myself far more comfortable playing a demo and getting X item for Y game rather than other marketing strategies, such as 'drink mountain dew and get better in game'. These kinds of reward systems keep the rewards in the realms of gaming, which I connect to the same lines as beating Mass Effect 1 and getting the bonus in Mass Effect 2 with save data. I find myself far more comfortable with that. Drink/Eat Z product and get B game bonus feels disconnected from the gaming world and, while I understand it from a marketing standpoint, it doesn't feel natural to the gaming world.

Posted: January 17, 2012 6:34 PM
    gamerjes
  • LocoCabasa

Games used to be about games. Now they are created so marketers can justify their pay checks with schemes to turn consumers into the consumed. Next EA / Activision / Ubisoft will command gamers to pre-order DLC unlock codes which access in-game micro-transactions that require a monthly subscription... Are we having fun yet?

Posted: January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
    LocoCabasa
  • Assassins24

THE FIRST GAME LOOKS LIKE GOD OF WAR BUT JUST LESS AWSOME AND CANT WAITE UNTILE MASS EFFECT 3 YEA

Posted: January 17, 2012 4:56 PM