Silent Hill: Downpour Gameplay Preview

Posted: January 4, 2012
Silent Hill: Downpour Gameplay Preview
Get your first look at the various gameplay mechanics behind Silent Hill: Downpour as Devin Shatsky, Producer at Konmai, explains how the combat and environment system works within the world Silent Hill.

• JoshyANGEL

I think its hilarious how all the footage they showed of combat and enemies was just of your main character getting his absolute ASS-KICKED! lol you think whoever was playing the footage would show you when fighting a character was liked rather then just getting owned no matter how hard they tried to fight back completely missing lol

Posted: January 18, 2012 12:14 AM
  • JWFernel

Murphy's prison jumpsuit reminds me of a Fallout/Vault-Tec jumpsuit. I never noticed how much those Vault dwellers resembled inmates.

Posted: January 11, 2012 2:05 PM
    JWFernel
  • elite_hoster

Is it me or do they have their formula wrong, alan wake open free roam, and alan wake being silent hill tight story driven but very hard like silent hill

Posted: January 10, 2012 6:09 PM
    elite_hoster
  • elite_hoster

Is it me or do they have their formula wrong, this should've been alan wake open free roam, and alan wake being silent hill tight story driven but very hard like silent hill 2

Posted: January 10, 2012 6:09 PM
    elite_hoster
  • HelloNurse523

Breakable weapons are annoying and what does he mean "that hasn't been done before in Silent Hill"? Silent Hill 4 the room HAD breakable weapons, and a limited inventory where you could only carry about 10 items on your person and it was one of the BIGGEST complaints about the game. I guess in this one I'll just find a gun and stick to it, or I'm hoping at least that you can carry a melee weapon and a gun on your person. I also don't like the lack of health bar, and that you're just supposed to know when he's getting hurt or injured by the way he walks and moves. It worked just find when we could feel the controller vibrations. And I'm guessing if we can't carry an inventory of weapons, we probably can't carry and inventory of health items. :( I'm hoping that this doesn't disappoint. I liked Homecoming, but I hated the lack of health and the constant need for combat. It doesn't look like they've made many improvements here. And the monsters all look like zombiefied humans. I want to fight a monster, a twisted, sick looking creature that can only be found in my nightmares. That's what was awesome about the games in the past. Fighting people and people-like creatures makes it not as much of the horror genre as I liked. If I wanted to fight zombies, I'd play Res Evil, or a Zombie game.

I sound really harsh here but I'm a hardcore fan and have every game, the good, the bad, and the ugly, so I'm just gonna be sad if I've waited two years for a new installment and it's going to end up sucking.

Posted: January 9, 2012 5:02 PM
  • AngelWolfe

How come you cant hold multiple weapons? whats the fun in that?? Its a game for crying out loud! Its not meant to be realistic like that! Sheesh! Do these people have any sense at all???

Posted: January 9, 2012 12:21 PM
  • chack2685

hope no see a sandbox silent hill

Posted: January 6, 2012 12:22 PM
    chack2685
  • roscobot011

Not sure I understand how this isnt classic Silent Hill. Sure there are some new things, but it doesnt seem to break the game. Creepy town, terrible things to fight and a horrible (in a good way) atmosphere. Im looking forward to it.

Posted: January 5, 2012 9:27 AM
    roscobot011
  • DrowNoble

Argh no PC version? Snubbed again. :(

Posted: January 5, 2012 3:20 AM
    DrowNoble
  • Deato9000

Can't wait!!

Posted: January 4, 2012 10:26 PM
    Deato9000
  • Ir0nH34d

Murphy looks like Gumby. I think the animations are crap in their current form. Look at the rake swinging in the end. OMG ... now that's horrific.

Posted: January 4, 2012 9:05 PM
    Ir0nH34d
  • Madav

Can't believe they had the audacity to show this preview on the 360 knowing full-well that Silent Hill originated on the PS and that its core fanbase is on the PS3. But whatever, other than that it looks as though Silent Hill will be returning to its roots; which is always a good thing. Hopin' the HD collection actually makes it out this month so I can get back into the swing of things for Downpour as I hear this plays very similarly to SH 2.

Posted: January 4, 2012 1:48 PM
    Madav
  • TheAcussedOne

i felt thesame about that when i heard breakable weapons its just not exciting to hear

Posted: January 4, 2012 12:26 PM
    TheAcussedOne
  • HighwayJoker

Man, you guys and Resident Evil both. Why is there always a desire to do something new after formulas that have worked and made millions for several games in series? It's rather disappointing because I don't think I will ever see a classic Silent Hill or Resident Evil from here on out. These new games will no doubt pale in comparison to the splendor of the originals. Given, I've still liked new entries in the series, but not near as much as the originals. I swear I was about to punch my monitor when I heard "breakable weapons."

Posted: January 4, 2012 7:51 AM