Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Gameplay Preview

Posted: December 6, 2011
Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Gameplay Preview
Jon Chong, a Jedi Knight master, lends his knowledgeable mind to explain the gameplay mechanics for the Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta version. Learn about the leveling up system, buying\selling loot, and cinematic quests.

• Johnnybones69

im new to mmos... what is DPS????????

Posted: March 20, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Robertoo

Robertoo's comment is abusive and has been removed.

Posted: December 16, 2011 12:54 PM
    Robertoo
  • tophius

man..wish they had had someone playing that could actually articulate what he was seeing and doing while he was doing it. might have been useful

Posted: December 10, 2011 7:06 PM
    tophius
  • jefferygaines

bounyt hunter skill is so good.

Posted: December 10, 2011 1:05 PM
    jefferygaines
  • jefferygaines

i will do all kind thing in this game.

Posted: December 10, 2011 12:48 PM
    jefferygaines
  • jefferygaines

star war will be awsome.

Posted: December 10, 2011 12:42 PM
    jefferygaines
  • Azazel_Jones

During the last beta I played for 12 hours straight at one point...I only stopped because my friends broke into my dorm room and dragged me out. (The messed up thing is that I'm only exaggerating a little)

Posted: December 9, 2011 11:14 PM
    Azazel_Jones
  • D_Money2180

I've hit the beta three times and it got better each time...this game is is going to be SICK!!!! 8 days...

Posted: December 7, 2011 1:06 PM
    D_Money2180
  • DrowNoble

Great thing about companions, is that they aren't just "pets". I've read before some people claiming that all TOR classes are pet classes, which tells me that person is a current WoW player who never played any other mmos.

The companions compliment your character and have far better AI than "pets" do. My inquisitor's first companion was a tank, since I'm squishy. He was also a pretty decent tank as we did Black Talon without a player tank so we used my companion and ran with 3 players and him. Cleared it with no of us dying (though he died twice).

If you absolutely hate the idea of a companion, well then gimp yourself and send them off on crew skill missions.

Posted: December 7, 2011 6:19 AM
    DrowNoble
  • Zoso81

At the beginning of the video you need to repair your gear. You get the option to train the ability for "Speeder Piloting" at level 25 for 40,000 credits, plus you have to buy the speeder. So remember to save your credits and sell your unneeded gear.

Posted: December 7, 2011 1:08 AM
    Zoso81
  • BoydofZINJ

... as for the EZMODE. I have to disagree - maybe its the MMO vet in me, but you just need to know how to play each character and each advance class - both with abilities that you pick up each level or so... and the skill trees. The skill tree can turn the Bounty Hunter merc into a combat medic, a high damage single target character or a high damage character - or a combination there of. Then there is the companions, fighting without Mako... at level 11.... why?

Your companions are a tool ... use them. Would you not use a blue level 11 pistol if you had it... why leave Mako out? Was she harvesting? The Bounty Hunter is very gear dependant as well. I found that if you played Black Talon a few times... you should be able to pick up a few new blue armors and have enough for a new blue pistol.. all of which is VERY USEFUL.

There is enough skills to fill the skill tree all the way to the top (taking 5 skills per tier) to the very last point and have 10 points left over. You need 5 points to go to the next tier, in SWTOR. As a result, I would recommend doing one tree to get the very top skill. Then be smart... regardless of how you play the Bounty Hunter you should always get the following skills (these are bottom level skills in the trees)

Posted: December 6, 2011 7:23 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • BoydofZINJ

Please refrain from using vulgar language... WTF... ugh.... sorry i have to rewrite my lecture on Bounty Hunters now... ...

Dont forget PvP - PvP is a great way to get new gear.

Remember there is no right way or wrong way to play. I use my companions as my right hands in fighting solo. I will often for a V with a target. The target mob is on the bottom and I am on the top left and Mako on the top right (or vice versa). I almost always have Mako in healing stance and let her attack first. The mob charges her. Once she builds some aggro... I start to attack. Since her healing stance also reduces her aggro threat - i will quickly pull the mob off of her ... and it will charge me. Then I use my stuns to CC the mob and DPS it down... and my shields once it gets in range. You can take equal level world bosses in similar fashion - as long as you have good to decent gear.

I will point out - the above skills I highlighted are really meant to be FILLER skills - once you get the top tier skill in each tree. Generally speaking - always try to get the highest tier skills first, in the tree that you are shooting for. Hybrids can be very dangerous as well - but some of the top level skills and abilities can make you even more potent.

LASTLY, the game seems to cater towards people going with or on the imperial side I always thought the SITH WARRIOR had the worse level 1 thru 10 class story on purpose - to make you try the other classes!

Posted: December 6, 2011 7:22 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • BoydofZINJ

I think the biggest problem with most MMOs is they try to compare themselves to WoW. Once you realize WoW is not the only MMO type of MMO out there - the genre will grow again. Until then, I will see you all and play my Space Wizards!

Posted: December 6, 2011 6:45 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • electronicvomit

Firsties! .. I played the beta and all I got to say is bye bye wow.

Posted: December 6, 2011 6:38 PM