Sessler's Soapbox: Rayman Origins and the Classic Platformer

Posted: December 6, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: Rayman Origins and the Classic Platformer
Adam explains that Rayman Origins is fantastic not only because it's a great platformer, but also because its animation is smooth, gorgeous, and brilliant.

• Seluhir

I think the best way to put it is simple:

Rayman Origins is pure and simple a work of love.

Nothing else mattered in pursuit of the developer's love for what he was creating, it didn't matter if it was cartoony, it didn't matter if it was marketable, all that mattered was that love. And that really shines through in playing it. It is so much fun because of the JOY you get from being a part of this.

Posted: January 25, 2012 4:05 PM
    Seluhir
  • suryu

cod was a grey game yall gave a 5 out of 5 to lmao ;p

Posted: December 11, 2011 4:02 PM
    suryu
  • dylanwade2020

I like the fact that there are plenty of Platforming games out their that never get noticed by g4 because they are indie or low budget games. It seems to me that the only time they talk about smaller games is when they have already blown up

I know there are a few examples where I am wrong, but when they are complaining so much during the summer months about not having anything to review, you would think they might spend a little more time with indie games,

Maybe The indie devs don't have enough money/gifts to give, for a good rating, or a rating at all

Posted: December 8, 2011 4:13 PM
    dylanwade2020
  • Folken24

I just started replaying Ratchet and Clank for this very reason, I missed the more lighthearted rubbery world of yester-years.

Posted: December 8, 2011 10:32 AM
    Folken24
  • gamefreak7890

I felt the same way when Rayman Origins came out. I had never even heard of it before until my buddy brought it over one day. All I could think is "How could I not have known about this game" coupled with "I must possess this game." I then proceeded to murder my friend and steal his copy.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get a Wii was because games like this existed on it. The 360 is extremely light on platformers and the Wii has games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, etc. I like realistic games as much as the next guy (or gal), but every once in a while, I love to sit down and jump on some dudes heads.

Posted: December 7, 2011 11:05 PM
    gamefreak7890
  • CamperHunter1

Honestly, I think the developers are more afraid of keeping with styles like Rayman than the people who play them are. Look at any indie game (preferably on Steam); Terraria for example has had a steady 30k+ people, almost hitting a 70k player peak on some days since the very recent 1.1 update and has sold over a million copies according to the developers. Plenty of vivid, cheery colors and things that us adult gamers could enjoy and even reminisce over from that one. Cartoons, I'd be ignoring the elephant in the room if I didn't mention the latest generation of My Little Pony. That show has swept across the internet and through dozens of games already and has dug itself in deep with all genders/age groups. Mods, avatars, reskins, audio, fanimation, you name it, you'll find those pastel ponies occupying something you're playing.

Let those kids keep their multiple shades of brown and "realistic" games where you can take a million bullets and live as long as you can catch a breather. I'll keep my bright colors and my enjoyable games/cartoons thank you very much.

Don't be afraid developers/publishers, people are more open-minded nowadays than you would think.

Posted: December 7, 2011 10:18 PM
    CamperHunter1
  • slydaniels

Sessler speaks the truth, I'm getting tired of seeing all the creativity being taken out of games as the years go by. Yeah its great to make a realistic COD success but to make a creative and totally new world platformer would be amazing.

In short its easy to make a realistic game, its hard to make something new and fake.

Posted: December 7, 2011 6:37 PM
    slydaniels
  • VonSpartan

Much like any form of art it will evolve over time. I personally like the realism of modern day gaming, but that is just my preference. My enjoyment comes from feeling like I am part of a world that I can manipulate and control. To the contrast of just side scrolling in the original mario game.

Posted: December 7, 2011 6:31 PM
    VonSpartan
  • Wozman23

Thank you, Adam. I've been saying the same thing this whole generation. Somewhere we abandoned creativity in favor of realism. I don't want to sound like one of those guys who just complains that this generation sucks, because it couldn't be further from the truth. I do love the graphically impressive, serious, mature games, like Uncharted, Resistance, and Dead Space, but much prefer colorful, artistic, whimsical games. The majority of my favorite experiences this generation have come from games like Rayman, Ratchet & Clank, LittleBigPlanet, or downloadable titles. I was talking to a friend at work the other day who was also in agreement that 2D platformers were probably still our favorite genre.

Rayman Origins is a breath of fresh air. There were an insane amount of good games this year, but it's my Game of the Year by far. It's one of those games causes you to smile every second. The graphics and art direction are gorgeous and the catchy soundtrack complements the world perfectly. The level of detail is insane. I can talk about it until I'm blue in the face, and have tried to, hyping it up anywhere on the internet that will allow. I even took up amateur journalism to write an article/loose review on a friend's website (http://bit.ly/uJcSES). Still, it does the game no justice.

At 28, there's no shame in saying it's an amazing game. Everyone should try it, and I feel sorry for anyone who will miss out on it due to preconceived notions that it's too childish or too simplistic for them.

Let's hope its success and praise from the industry can bring about some change in the trends of gaming. I'd love nothing more than to have plenty more full-fledged, artistic, creative 2D platformers and have the genre return to the pedestal it was once atop.

Also anyone looking for another great, fantasy 2D platformer should check out Trine 2 when it releases later this month (or play the original now if you can). Its recommendation is my Christmas present to you.

Posted: December 7, 2011 9:48 AM
    Wozman23
  • permanent_nirvana

I agree. We need more platformers. More Ratchet and Clank couldn't be a bad thing could it?

Posted: December 7, 2011 9:36 AM
    permanent_nirvana
  • AIIIC

I absolutely loved this soapbox and I completely agree with Adam. I miss my Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Rayman type games. Cartoon animation with a vivid color palette, creative game play, and just immensely fun worlds to explore. I feel like these days everyone has that "Dark Knight" mindset if you will. Everything has to be dark, gritty, and super realistic to appeal to all gamers which couldn't be farther from the truth. There is an audience out there for these types of games, and I believe if more of them were in the marketplace they would start to flourish again.

Posted: December 7, 2011 8:49 AM
  • IronManIan

He has a very good point, the gaming industry is basing itself to heavily on the aspects of realism than abstract creativity. Now don't get me wrong i love the setting and feel of realistic gaming and would love to see a Jak and Daxter game with Uncharted like qualities to it. Although I guess there is a certain nostalgia to those games of the past that makes them better if they are presented in such a cartoonish manner than if they were done with modern changes of realism. I guess it would be good to see two sides of the same coin and hopefully wonder which side it lands on.

Posted: December 7, 2011 7:05 AM
  • citymars

"Because I think we are so driven by the tastes of 12 year old boys who want to pretend like they're 25 year old men that somehow it isn't "dignified" to be playing something that has a bright color palette." Ha!

Posted: December 7, 2011 6:06 AM
    citymars
  • Atavax

one of my favorite soapboxes in a long time. Haven't played rayman series and you want me want to, but unfortunately its an ubisoft game and i'll never buy another ubisoft game until they shift their attitude towards pc gamers.

Posted: December 6, 2011 11:34 PM
    Atavax
  • Fryman1991

I am enlightened!

Posted: December 6, 2011 10:18 PM
  • wolfman2010

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKY OU SESSLER! This is one of those things that has been bugging me for so long. I miss so many of the titles that instill the old sense of anarchic humor. Looney Tunes, even the newer ones have the laughs and true sense of fun that I think is missing in so many games nowadays. I know it's hard to make a game with a lightness of tone when it seems that dark is what sells on the market these days, but I would gladly go for the games with a lightness in tone, perhaps poking fun, or just outright parodying the seriousness of current gen games.
    It's why I stopped playing GTA after San Andreas. The characters were well thought out, and were put into scenarios of over-the-top silliness and it still felt badass. Or Serious Sam. That game does the exact opposite of what its title suggests. And the brilliant irony of it (while tearing out the eye of the closest Gnaar) is that it knows how to be funny. I miss funny in games.

Posted: December 6, 2011 8:21 PM
    wolfman2010
  • BoydofZINJ

Maybe instead of saying Skyrim... we need to have more zelda players comment on how great their game is... since Skyrim is not a majority winner in the death match. Zelda players step it up, please...

Posted: December 6, 2011 7:33 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • BlitzedAssassin

I love open world games like Skyrim, and very story driven cinematic experiences like Uncharted, but there is just a certain satisfaction about platformers that when you get on a roll and make every jump perfectly and clear a level unscathed it's like, "OHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHH"

Posted: December 6, 2011 7:14 PM
    BlitzedAssassin
  • Illinois Broski

This comment isn't about Rayman. All I want to say is that it's sickening to see people brown-nose Adam Sessler every week in the comments of Soapbox. All of a sudden, everybody agrees with him every week. You guys need to be your own persons and stop kissing up to Adam and agreeing with him no matter what he says. I remember when Killzone 3 was released and all of a sudden Adam was tired of serious shooters and everyone was agreeing with him. Why did Gears and COD get 5/5 if you're tired of serious shooters?

Posted: December 6, 2011 6:12 PM