Feedback -- 343's Frank O'Connor Talks Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary And Blizzcon 2011 Coverage

Posted: October 26, 2011
343's Frank O'Connor stopped by Feedback to discuss Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. The MMO Report's Casey Schreiner talks Blizzcon 2011.

• Omnom

I don't miss Adam as much just because he has his soapbox and etc, but that aside, this was an exceptional episode. Blair and Casey represent a lot of my personal preferences, be it gaming or just personality, whereas Jessica always brings dynamism and perspective I otherwise wouldn't think of. Finally Frank, being a very well spoken man who actually had answers and seemed down to Earth was a very nice addition to this week's episode. I want to say Frank was being frank, but let's not go there. Everybody had something interesting to say about every story this week. Wonderful flow, pacing and on-air chemistry.

Posted: November 9, 2011 12:39 AM
    Omnom
  • HoeBag

Better question is why play on a console vs a PC?
    I can hook up my PC to a TV and use a gamepad of some sort. Im getting better graphics, frame rate, more mods, faster load times, and the list goes on...

PC has always been and always be the better system. It will just continue to be hated by all the little kid fan boys who cant afford a PC.

PS. Im not biast i own all systems even though my Wii is only used as a paper weight

Posted: October 31, 2011 1:59 PM
    HoeBag
  • silentanathema

I really liked Adam when he was on but Blair is doin' a great job I think. Its not Blairs fault that Adam wanted to do other things and I think Blair was one of the best guests when Adam ran things and now Blair is doing a really good job. Keep up the good work Blair and the rest of the Feedback crew, this is one of my favorite hours of the week. I think in a few shows people will not even think about the fact that there is a diffrent host. Long live Blair!

Posted: October 31, 2011 1:00 PM
    silentanathema
  • MediaMaster9000

Don't kid yourselves. Blizzard's move to "give" Diablo 3 away to the fans for playing World of Warcraft is NOT a fan service. Blizzard is a money machine 1st and a developer of fun games 2nd. Everyone I know, (including my entire WoW guild of approx 200 people) are done with WoW and will be switching to SWTOR. Not that there is anything wrong with WoW, we've just all been playing for 5-6 years and have grown tired of the same-old same-old. Most of my guildies have already stopped playing (or more accurately, PAYING) for WoW.

Ok, so we all know that SWTOR comes out in December. Now, I'm not heralding SWTOR as the "WoW killer," but it's timing couldn't be better. A great many people have (finally) grown exhausted with WoW and are just simply ready to move on. For Blizzard, this is bad for business. Even if they release Diablo 3 to counteract the exodus, the losses will be severe. So how do you keep people subscribed to WoW? I'll tell you. Incentives.

Quite frankly it's a brilliant business move. Someone at Blizzard did the math and realized that by locking people into another year of WoW subscriptions and giving them Diablo 3 for free, they would still make more money long term than if those same people migrated to SWTOR but still purchased Diablo 3. It's brilliant. It's devious and I hate them for it, but it's really quite brilliant.

I'm a little surprised that Casey and Blair didn't catch this. Adam probably would have. He's always reminding people that developer studios are still businesses. lol Already I miss his stuttering "and and and and and." But seriously, the guy just has a gift for understanding the videogame industry. We miss you Adam! ;-)

Keep up the great work folks. I look forward to the next Wed show.

Posted: October 29, 2011 6:58 AM
    MediaMaster9000
  • TheBagwellian

Thank you, much better on the mics. Chobots could still stand to be a hair closer.

Posted: October 29, 2011 5:51 AM
  • DirtaDawg420

The DLC that made me doubt the very idea of DLC was the Assassins Creed 2 DLC. I purchased one of those and it lasted around 30 minutes of No, New, Content. I got to use the flying machine in a different city, but so what(?). DLC should be a significant add-on to the game play that just couldn't fit on the disc or wasn't ready in time. It shouldn't be something I could experience again by replaying the game. That's what I paid $60 for in the first place.

Posted: October 29, 2011 3:47 AM
    DirtaDawg420
  • Dexter111

Oh god... I can't listen anymore :/
    "Why wouldn't you play Diablo on a bigger screen with a controller?"
    What's stopping you? I'm watching/typing this on a damn 42" TV and I'm using a Wireless X360 Controller as a mouse substitute from bed...

Torchlight was mainly a PC game, they released it in 2009 on Steam and it sold like 1 million units or something till they ported it to the Xbox in 2011 and had to change only like... everything, seriously you guys should try that "Steam" thing at some point, you're talking about Valve a lot and it's great... and cheap.

"Those always felt like sprite-holders cause tech didn't permit us to have an action game!"
    REALLY? You don't think that *GOSH* people actually LIKE turn-based games or say Strategy and all that stuff? I'm playing Heroes VI right now... that's still turn-based and I heard that Civilizations thing is still really popular...
    Also Dragon Age 2 was apparently MADE for this guy (and that's why it sucked): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SV97ozaD4vs

Also Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance... lol, I'm just sorry for him he didn't get to experience the ACTUAL Baldur's Gate Trilogy, I still think it is up there with the best games ever made and certainly Biowares greatest effort.

Posted: October 28, 2011 9:57 PM
    Dexter111
  • asthmagasm

To agree with what someone posted earlier, ignoring Final Fantasy XI when it did the console MMO well (whether or not it has aged well is certainly debatable) and focusing on DCU exclusively is a little silly. Final Fantasy XI was successful for a long time, and maintained subs higher than all the "WoW killers" that came out and ultimately fell to the wayside but still somehow get press every now and then when Final Fantasy XI doesn't. I'm not sure why western game sites are so adamant about trying to not to mention Final Fantasy XI when talking about MMOs (especially when console MMOs are being talked about) as if it brought some shame on the genre. It was received very well, as far as I know was the first to do a console MMO (or if not, I'm 99% sure it's the only one still up and running and still supported), and for whatever reason is the Voldemort of MMOs.

Final Fantasy XIV needs not to be mentioned until 2.0 is released, heh.

Posted: October 28, 2011 12:27 PM
    asthmagasm
  • gamedad67

b ring back Adam, the only reason I watched

Posted: October 28, 2011 10:44 AM
  • 1nitial_D

I love Blair Heter's pink/salmon stripped jacket. Does anyone where I can buy that??

Posted: October 28, 2011 9:36 AM
    1nitial_D
  • business_casual_gamer

ICO was 10 years ago o_0.... I think it would have been awesome for ICO and SotC HD to completely re-textured like Halo HD. Imagine riding Agro through the forbidden land in modern graphics :(

Posted: October 28, 2011 7:57 AM
    business_casual_gamer
  • E-Xane

If I may say, the reason I do not like DLC is not for any of the reasons mentioned.. I have bought DLC for games i have rented, games like dead space, where dlc constitutes skin packs, over powered weapons, and one alternate campaign that deviates from the larger story line...

What I dislike about DLC is what you are noticing now with Fallout, Rage, and a number of other games... where what you are being sold as "DLC" is what use to be called "A finished product". Will I end up buying the dlc? Sure, because otherwise you end up missing a big chunk of the game. Does that mean it is an appropriate way of adding income? FFF no it is not. It is a way of extorting another 20 to 60 dollars from the player. Diablo 3 lord of destruction is not an expansion, it is finishing the freaking game. But they wanted more money. Fallout BOS dlc is not an expansion, it is finishing the freaking game. But they wanted more money.

You want a DLC program? Try this. Instead of making Killzone 1, killzone 2. killzone 3. Just freaking make killzone and periodically release a new episode as dlc, with a little splash of back story incase you missed an episode. That actually makes SENSE! Scalping to get the planned ending of a game that is already prohibitively expensive as it is? Are they TRYING to kill their own market?

Look at Bandai's .Hack games. All of the games used the same mechanics and largely the same interface and locations. each one was long enough to be a game by its self. And they just released a new arch to the plot periodically, till they had finished the story they were looking to tell, with each game rolling into the next. That actually makes a measure of sense. You could go years doing that type of model.

What the industry is trying to do with DLC is basically the same as selling you a model kit with the last 25% of the parts missing, and then charging you extra for the pieces to finish the product. And then arguing "well it is our product, if you don't like the way we do things, then no one is making you finish the model. You are the one who wan'ts it put together so bad" Yeah, because you sold it to me under the false impression that I was getting a full product! How about you sell me a gun with the trigger and hammer missing? Or how about a car with no wheels or steering column? An incomplete product is an incomplete product, the fact that it is planned that way makes it worse, not justified.

Posted: October 28, 2011 4:00 AM
    E-Xane
  • ulfragnarsson

Mists of Pandaria=Kung fu Panda+Pokemon, I'm glad I left it after WotLK, gotta save time for Skyrim, TOR, and GW 2

Posted: October 27, 2011 9:43 PM
    ulfragnarsson
  • The80sGuy

I think Blair is really cool and all, But.... This show just isn`t the same without Adam Sessler =(. I couldn`t wait to tune in every wensday, But now I really don`t see the point. Just my opinion, But there was no need to fix something that wasn`t broken.

Posted: October 27, 2011 7:32 PM
    The80sGuy
  • CoolerThanYourMom

how many times did Blair say "on the whole"

Posted: October 27, 2011 7:00 PM
    CoolerThanYourMom
  • RPG-fan

Two things raised on this episode of Feedback: Neverwinter Nights have never been released on the consoles and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was okay, but pale in comparison to the PC version of BG.

Posted: October 27, 2011 4:42 PM
    RPG-fan
  • ManUpMan

You guys kind of touched on this but my question is how much change should be made to an HD remake other then the obvious gameplay improvements such as the DMR being added to Halo Annivesary for what seem to be no apparent reason and for me hurts the game because I didnt enjoy the gun in Reach.

Posted: October 27, 2011 4:08 PM
    ManUpMan
  • Mashpotaters

Did I just see Frank O'Connor take a jab at Epic for on disc DLC?

Posted: October 27, 2011 3:25 PM
    Mashpotaters
  • Mashpotaters

Did I just see Frank O'Connor take a jab at Epic for on disc DLC?

Posted: October 27, 2011 3:24 PM
    Mashpotaters
  • PrometheanArsonist

Great episode! Frankie's got some quick wits.

Posted: October 27, 2011 12:48 PM