Sessler's Soapbox: The Open World

Posted: October 18, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: The Open World
Adam explains how he doesn't think that "Open World" is a game type, but more of a tool developers use to increase the player's immersion in the game.

• prownut

i think adam sessler is a joke and so is G4. Can anyone say "Mindless drone followers" , you people are on the nuts of this guy who tries to seem smart yet his words just beg "please think i'm smart please" this guy talks about games. hes overpaid and really contributes nothing whatsoever to real people in real need. and you people are not far off. So yea in the spirit of holiday cheer give to others and help others, and if you want turn the channel G4 has become ADAM SESSPOOL!

Posted: November 30, 2011 11:15 AM
    prownut
  • Phaedruss

/facepalm Assassin's Creed is not open world. It was a few gimmicks and pretends to be, but it's nothing like Fallout or Elder Scrolls. If Arkham City is anything like that, it's a joke to call it open world. I mean, for God's sake, Borderlands was not open world. It was crap is what it was.

Posted: November 20, 2011 8:17 PM
    Phaedruss
  • andruek89

I COMPLETELY agree with you. People have a tendency to see the face that maybe having an open world games gives it this higher expectation that they have put together a place where a player can immerse himself in a "living world" where you the player can experience the severity and hardship but at the same time ENJOY the fact that you in this instance is a HUGE superhero that can do SO much. I think if the previous "hero" games maybe had something or someone think that a open world for this character would be immense among the fans and would bring huge entertainment to them because it gives you that sense of gratitude and accomplishment when something goes the way it should. If the research is done and time is given then that gives the player the time to enjoy the heroism that every Super Hero has and shows. Any Hero game could be this good. BUT ARE THEY WILLING TO PUT THAT TIME IN TO SHOW IT?

Posted: October 19, 2011 6:02 PM
    andruek89
  • Spybreak

I have to agree. I bought Gears 3, then Rage and now Batman: Arkham City. You could also slump Skyrim into this as well. Each game will have its own game space and method of story telling. There is no one formula wins all in games, which can be contrasted to movies where Hollywood uses the same winning formula again and again until its just same ol' Hollywood.

Posted: October 19, 2011 12:23 PM
    Spybreak
  • poopdog_ofdefeat

In this case the "open world" is more or less a vehicle to aid the gamer in vicariously playing as Batman. There's always that innate desire to have power and control over the world or environment around you and Batman, being a posterchild of the Ubermensch, exemplifies this notion. I would agree that in this kind of game, the "open world", can only increase that sense of escapism and is probably one of the few mediums that this technique is employed to the benefit of the gamer's experience.

Posted: October 19, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Dikard_von_Doom

preach it brotha!

Seriously though well put and I'm going to try and change my vernacular regarding "open-world."

Posted: October 19, 2011 1:23 AM
    Dikard_von_Doom
  • Omeganightmare

The term "Game Space" is perfect. Please use it more in reviews.

Posted: October 18, 2011 8:15 PM
    Omeganightmare
  • kings_legacy

Looks like everyone playing Arkham City at the moment, including myself but took a small break to hear what you have to say Adam.

Well said, now back to putting in 6 hours straight into Arkham City.

Posted: October 18, 2011 8:08 PM
    kings_legacy
  • Kulkaij

I am so happy that we're finally having this discussion. In these hard times, I know developers are scratching their heads trying to find ways to get gamers to INVEST 60 dollars in their game, invest being the key word. It wasn't just the open world, or the solid gameplay, or the excellent story that made Arkham City such a great game. It was the COMBINATION of those traits that made it excellent. That is why Rage has received such a lukewarm reception. Yes it provided an intriguing open world environment, but it failed to deliver a solid story and the developers made poor design game-play decisions (buggie combat???). I hope developers begin to realize that gamers are no longer going to accept sub-par games, especially for full price. I have a feeling Arkham City is going to set a standard for what games should look like for a long time

Posted: October 18, 2011 6:15 PM
    Kulkaij
  • DarthHerter

i agree with adam 100 percent and another good example of what i think he was talking about to me is Red Dead Redemption. i think that game and the story was so good there was no other way to tell it, but in an open world environment.

Posted: October 18, 2011 4:41 PM
    DarthHerter
  • nervedamaged

Simple and well put.

Posted: October 18, 2011 4:39 PM
    nervedamaged
  • redsofgreen

I just created an account specifically to comment here.
    I wanted to say THANK YOU to Adam Sessler. Every Tuesday I look forward to coming on here and listening to what you have to say. I find the soapbox both entertaining and informational. The fact that EVERY TUESDAY (Except if it is a holiday) you are on here with a new soapbox shows your passion for games. We all know you do a lot at G4 and have been a loyal employee of them for many years. So on behalf of all the soapbox viewers especially, I want to say THANK YOU for your dedication and for giving me something to look forward to while I'm sitting at work Tuesday morning. Please keep up the good work.

Posted: October 18, 2011 4:37 PM
    redsofgreen
  • ortizcrazydanny3

hey guys which game is better dead island or dead nation or dead rising. because i got gamefly and im wordering what game should i get. ples help.

ps.Im the best gamer in the world i just need help picking games. and i have a ps3 my name ortizcrazydanny3 just in case you want to vrs me in black ops

Posted: October 18, 2011 4:31 PM
    ortizcrazydanny3
  • wolfman2010

Very informative Mr. Sessler. I have been waiting to play L.A. Noire for the PC for a while now, and it just seems more and more that a world like that is really meant to ground the sense of place, not be there for extra content.

And as I wait (impatiently, I might add) for Arkham City to appear on the PC I can only hope (nay, expect) that the open-world format will do much the same thing by grounding me in the sense that I am in Gotham.

Well done Mr. Sessler, I await your next lecture...

Posted: October 18, 2011 4:11 PM
    wolfman2010
  • RookieBrawler

This is true, the fact that a game features an open world is just kind of a given now. Likely half of the games we play now include some sort of unrestricted play-space. It's not what we should be focusing on anymore.

We should be talking about what developers can make happen WITHIN that space. For that's what truly matters. But I can also agree that such a setting can also serve just to enhance sense of place.

Good soapbox Sessler, I always leave feeling a bit more informed and intelligent listening to you.

Posted: October 18, 2011 3:48 PM
    RookieBrawler
  • DreadPirateRoberts

My reason for not playing (yet) is that I'm still fighting through the epic masterpiece "Dark Souls"! That seems like a pretty damn good reason to me. Still, I very excited to play this game.

Posted: October 18, 2011 3:47 PM
    DreadPirateRoberts
  • Barbuganot

So how come this doesn't show in the side menu anymore?

Posted: October 18, 2011 3:26 PM