DC Universe Online Free-To-Play Preview

Posted: October 11, 2011
DC Universe Online Free-To-Play Preview
Not even a year old, DC Universe Online will soon shift over to a free-to-play model. Blair Herter gets the scoop from DC Comics' Geoff Johns.

• NeoHumpty

I played the Beta and kinda liked it, but wasn't paying that kind of money because I know I won't get my money's worth out of it. I grabbed it again, but UC3 has me pretty distracted right now. I'll give it a good go later.

I still think the better way to go would have been to give the game away for free in the beginning and then just charge for the subscription. I would have plopped $60 down if it came with 3-6 months free, at least, but 1 month and then a heckuva high monthly rate was too much for me to justify. I hate being poor.

Posted: November 4, 2011 4:03 PM
    NeoHumpty
  • geomancer21

Any word on what the console numbers are?

Posted: November 4, 2011 10:03 AM
    geomancer21
  • exittium

This'll fail, hands down. Looking at the comparison list provided by SOE Free vs Those who pay... yeah really.. no trading... no auctions... and only 1500$.. yeah people will realize real quick that stuff costs WAAAY more then 1500 to get through in that game, along with you need to utilize the Auctions to make profit in the game... just another SOE futile attempt at recovering a game they should've kept in development and prefected... AND I played with when it 1st came out up until about August then bailed just poor support by SOE, broken promises, they can't keep their word...

Posted: November 4, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Patriculus1989

I wanted to play this game, but the 15gig download turned me off. It would have taken FOREVER as my internet sucks. Wouldn't be worth the wait imo

Posted: November 3, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Stellerman7

My one gripe is that the servers have been off and on since I started but that's to be expected considering the changes.

Posted: November 3, 2011 5:47 PM
    Stellerman7
  • njdss4

Just finished downloading, installing, patching, and creating my character, and yikes is this game bad. It's no wonder it failed as a subscription based game. Everything DCUO does, some other MMO does it better. Even just the combo based combat is better in Vindictus than in this game. Also, please no more with the fetch/kill quests. It's mind-numblingly boring.

Posted: November 3, 2011 4:29 PM
    njdss4
  • martymar82

Even free its not worth playing

Posted: November 3, 2011 4:25 PM
    martymar82
  • animeandmangarule

took hours to download the free to play game and a lot of hard drive space,, but it was worth it. it's fun though not worth paying for levels of fun.

Posted: November 2, 2011 3:55 AM
    animeandmangarule
  • animeandmangarule

need Dc universe....where are you?. did Mark Hamill steal it as a joke before he quit as the voice of the joker?

Posted: November 1, 2011 2:04 PM
    animeandmangarule
  • animeandmangarule

what sony should have said was Dc universe goes free to play on november 2nd... considering it.. almost 5 'clock where I live and still no game, it would have been easier to say the free to play date was on the second... way to work up expectations Sony..

Posted: November 1, 2011 1:54 PM
    animeandmangarule
  • XilentDude

It's 1 November and still nothing.. Yeah.. Sony ..

Posted: November 1, 2011 6:24 AM
  • randomman123

I THINK S.O.E. said that DCUO will go F2P November 1st. (This Tuesday) I DON'T KNOW THIS IS TRUE!!!! If I am wrong DON'T BLAME ME.

Posted: October 30, 2011 6:29 PM
    randomman123
  • bobnick10

i love G4 but you dont mess with a man wanting a free to play game that is one of the greats.
    october 19 means october 19 but its cotober 22 WERE IS IT

Posted: October 22, 2011 1:53 PM
    bobnick10
  • Eion

I been up for 3 days straight waiting for DCUO to become available on the network and now its the 20th!!! where is it at??

Posted: October 20, 2011 10:46 AM
    Eion
  • Crolin

Where is my Fing free DC universe?!?!?! it is oct 19th!

Posted: October 19, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Grimlochez

I might actually try it when it goes f2p

I

Posted: October 15, 2011 12:48 PM
  • KungFuZombi

I think it sucks that us with an xbox are crap out of luck.....and no not all of us get to play...i hate that he says its open to all.....its crap

Posted: October 14, 2011 9:53 PM
    KungFuZombi
  • 2ply

Just go over to the game's website, they have all the free restrictions listed in plain sight, they really aren't that bad imo.

But really the most fun I had with it was on a casual level, just running/flying/climbing around the world, coupled with trying to fend off other players from attacking me or some other random person on the PvP server, basically playing hero lol and those restrictions won't do much to prevent that.

Posted: October 13, 2011 8:04 PM
    2ply
  • geomancer21

yeah, free, like Freerealms. waiting to hear about level caps and power limits.

Posted: October 13, 2011 1:31 PM
    geomancer21
  • AllyoftheForce

I'll never go back to that crap game even if they payed me to play it. Grind grind grind grind is all that you do.

Posted: October 13, 2011 9:18 AM