Occupy LA with Kevin Pereira

Posted: October 3, 2011
Occupy LA with Kevin Pereira

The Occupy Wall Street protests have spread across America! Kevin Pereira checks out the Occupy LA demonstration in downtown Los Angeles to find out why people are protesting and what they're trying to prove.

RELATED: Kevin Pereira dives into Occupy Wall Street with Sam Seder on The Loop.

• PrometheanArsonist

"In a strange way the emptiness of its threats may be a more telling indictment of a fin de civilization West than a more coherent protest movement could ever have mounted."

Posted: November 13, 2011 11:30 AM
    PrometheanArsonist
  • Draconian

I thank Kevin and those with the power to air this. I know that openly standing up for something like this when your bills are payed by the "man" (Comcast/NBCUniversal) is pretty bold. Since the "man's" best interest is not to side with the 99%...

Mind you this isn't the first time AotS has been genuine with it's coverage with "real world" news issues. If you'll remember they did heavy coverage of the BP Gulf Oil Spill that was a bit reminiscent of what you might see on Current (that's a HUGE compliment). Maybe a place like AotS is a good place for what's sadly perceived as fringe issues. I mean Comcast isn't exactly seen as anything other than some evil conglomerate, as most LARGE companies end up looking like. But maybe it ultimately comes down to the people, and not the "mainstream media".

Sure there lies some blame on the "mainstream media" for being lazy and the lack of having balls to stick their neck out to cover an issue that might not seem popular or as easy to sell for the 11 o' clock news; but I think it's also to do with the people that the "mainstream media" is trying to attract. I wonder what gets more ratings: the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor, or Occupy Wall Street/LA? I doubt anyone had to think about that for very long, and it's really sad that the thing most people are interested in isn't in their best interest.

Maybe this is Comcast's faith in G4's technolusting viewers that they might be a little interested in this "real world" news that would ordinarily be considered fringe....or maybe Kevin and a few others have enough pull and they are allowed to speak. Either way no one had to do this, and for that I thank everyone who made this happen.

-Ben S.

Posted: October 5, 2011 5:36 AM
    Draconian
  • Illuminate88

343 Guilty Spark

Posted: October 4, 2011 5:44 PM
    Illuminate88
  • EVOLUTION_Xtreme

help bring it to trinidad

Posted: October 4, 2011 5:14 PM
    EVOLUTION_Xtreme
  • TwinShivs

I need to start with the statement that major news outlets in the U.S.A are very much in the pocket of the government and, by extension, certain large corporations. We have much the same issue with the CBC here in Canada though as far as I can tell it isn't as bad. Thus, to a certain extent, major news outlets attempt to draw our attention away from issues that we really should be concerned with through "spinning" the story or spending time and money "debating" issues that have no real impact on the common folk's existence. Luckily we live in an age where it is quite easy to get a hold of the whole story and not just a small slice that the folks in power want to give us.

@StealthMonkey...Do a comparison between the actual profit that fortune 500/700 and larger companies post and how much they give back to the society that afforded them the opportunity to make mind-boggling amounts of money and you'll quickly see where a lot of people's issues with these companies lie. I'm talking profits here, how much money they take home, free and clear, after covering their overhead and paying their employees, it's disgusting in quite a few instances yet I continue to hear whining over how much existing costs them. I'd prefer not to harp on this subject but its the only one I can bring to mind right this second...gas and oil companies have been posting RECORD profits year after year for a very long time yet the cost to the consumer keeps going up...do you see the issue? That's the kind of behaviour that sets people off.

Posted: October 4, 2011 12:43 PM
    TwinShivs
  • StealthMonkey

A lot of these people know in their heart that something is wrong -- and they are right -- they are just misplacing their frustration. Corporations aren't the problem -- government is the problem. The problem isn't that a corporation did something like take an irresponsible risk. In a true market economy, that corporation would be punished by a dropping stock price or going bankrupt (and good!). The problem is that government comes along and thinks that rewarding failure will help the economy (or get them more votes). People on the right and the left can agree -- stop the bailouts! I don't care if you are talking about banks, Wall Street, mortgage deadbeats, automakers, or people not paying their student loans -- stop all the bailouts!

However, the Occupy message goes beyond stopping bailouts, such as demanding we raise taxes on the rich. How does raising a rich person's taxes help you? Do you think that raising the taxes of your employer or your neighbor's employer is going to make you richer? If you tax job creators, either that hurts employees, customers, or shareholders. If you have a job, you are an employee. If you purchase goods, you are a customer. And if you are trying to saving for retirement with a 401(k), you are an investor. Who are you trying to harm? And I don t want to hear that the rich don t pay taxes when it comes to income tax, the top 1%, yes, have 20% of the income, but they pay 38% of the taxes.

If we want to talk about runaway greed, let s talk about government and its insatiable appetite for our money. First under Bush, and now under Obama, spending is out of control. The two classes aren't the rich and the rest of us -- the two classes are the government and the rest of us. If you don't like a corporation, don't buy their product, more power to you. If you don't like government and how it is spending your money, you can't not buy their product. The real injustice is how our government spends our money. Whether you are talking about bailouts, wars, or welfare, they are bleeding us dry and piling on the debt. It needs to stop.

Posted: October 3, 2011 10:20 PM
    StealthMonkey
  • kpereira

Perhaps I should have put the word "minute" after the word moral, I did not mean to imply that those are not important issues for some, but I do believe their relative importance is minute. And you have every right to disagree with that, of course.

My take is that these "hot button" issues are used to constantly divide us, cloud discourse and distract from the topics I covered in the piece; topics which effect the fabric of our society; the way government functions, and the stability of our economy, etc. What I said, was that I wished people would get as emotional and fired up about these issues as they do with the only other issues the main-street media chooses to cover; for if we do not begin addressing these issues, it won't matter how "we the people" feel about abortions, gay-marriage or immigrations; we will wake up with zero say and a crumbled democracy. Tinfoil hat-ish, perhaps, but that's why I believe the "relative" importance is minute.

Furthermore, if my statement was polarizing, I hope you recognize it's at least an equal-opportunity offender, as I did not offer opinions on the issues themselves. I was absolutely NOT taking a specific shot at conservatives. I believe the distraction these issues are causing equally effect members of all parties. For what it's worth.

AOTS is a strange place for politics, we're aware. The show did me a favor today by allowing me to speak about a growing movement that may effect a lot of our viewers, and I thank you for taking the time to watch it an give your feedback.

.kp

Posted: October 3, 2011 8:41 PM
    kpereira
  • DieZombieDie

Kevin Pereira, calling issues like illegal immigration and abortions "minute moral" problems reveals a certain narrow mindedness on your part. While they may not be important to you they are very real issues to millions of people in this country. Occupy Wall Street is to protest against cooperations that "take advantage" of people, so in itself is another morality issue, just it happens to be one you agree with. I don't know why you felt you had to down play or make fun of other important issues to promote another. I would go on about how such statements polarize the country and provoke your conservative viewers to dismiss Occupy as more liberal propaganda, but then I realize AOTS is an entertainment show and not a political forum. In fact it seems AOTS is a strange place for political commentary at all. Next time try to stick with the issues at hand.

Posted: October 3, 2011 7:37 PM