Tales from the Console Graveyard: Sega Dreamcast

Posted: August 30, 2011
Tales from the Console Graveyard: Sega Dreamcast

Remember the Sega Dreamcast? We do, too. Released in 1999, the Dreamcast was the first 128 bit console in the world, as well as the first system to feature downloadable content. We take a close look at this console with its hit games like Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventures and Crazy Taxi.

• grifter56

you haven't experienced virtual on until you've played it with the fishing control.

Posted: September 12, 2011 11:59 AM
    grifter56
  • KnuxTheFox

I still have my Dreamcast. I bought a VGA box for it last year to get the most out of it on my HDTV. I have the last official Dreamcast game, Karous, which is probably one of my favorite shooters OF ALL TIME!!! I'm also aware of games that are STILL being released on the Dreamcast, including the upcoming Sturmwind by RedSpotGames. The Dreamcast was the first system to really get me into the homebrew scene, and some devs such as those who work on ScummVM, still release on Dreamcast.

Remember when Half-Life was released on Dreamcast? Well guess what? Apparently mods to the game work on that build as well, because there exists a version of Counter Strike made to run on the Dreamcast.

In terms of capability, if it didn't suffer a terrible and sudden death, it would've been bested only by the Xbox in that generation of gaming systems, but SEGA knew well better how to make good games, they just couldn't do it on their own. But for every major franchise, the Dreamcast had an equally good response.

Final Fantasy - Skies of Arcadia
    Super Smash Bros - Power Stone
    Super Mario - Sonic Adventure (duh)
    Colin McRae Rally - Test Drive V-Rally (V-Rally 2 Pro)
    Madden NFL - Sega Sports NFL 2K
    Tekken - Virtua Fighter 3tb and Soul Calibur

Arcade games? Sega had arcade ports of all your favorites, including many which were on no other system. Games like Karous and Radio Allergy (aka Radirgy) and Ikaruga were ported straight from Sega's own NAOMI arcade hardware. Which seeing other games that lived on such hardware, the Dreamcast could've gone much much further.

Posted: September 12, 2011 12:00 AM
  • pumakid

Dreamcast ruled,I remember staying up all night playin code veronica,I loved that system.I was like the only person I know who bought it but everyone loved to play it.I also can't forget house of the dead and the stupid little portable gaming thing that inserted into the controller,forget what that was called.r.i.p. dreamcast,gone but never forgotten,I can always bring u back,hhmmmm,my closet is calling me.

Posted: September 3, 2011 9:39 PM
  • XxKayxX

I WANT THE CREEPY FISH GAME!!!! D:<</safety_wrapper>

Posted: September 3, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Flipz15

I don't think I'll ever be as enthusiastic about a console as I was with the Dreamcast. As hard and as fast as it failed, it was, and still is, my favorite console ever released. Bar none.

Posted: September 1, 2011 11:26 PM
    Flipz15
  • bigbowser101

Dreamcast was the first consol to do DLC?

But what about the Super Famicom and its Satellaview?

Posted: August 31, 2011 3:57 PM
    bigbowser101
  • boiledbologna

And the Dreamcast is STILL the only console that let you browse the web. You'd think that by now they'd think to put that into play, but no.... I miss you Dreamcast!

Posted: August 31, 2011 12:59 PM
  • WiidSmoker

I agree with Kevin...my favorite console ever, as well.

Posted: August 31, 2011 10:34 AM
    WiidSmoker
  • shdwlink5

Phantasy Star Online
    nuff said

Posted: August 31, 2011 10:10 AM
    shdwlink5
  • applebook

Dreamcast made a SEGA fan out of me. Before it, I was a Nintendo/Sony fanboy and despised SEGA for its silly 32X, SEGA CD, and other systems.

Posted: August 31, 2011 2:04 AM
    applebook
  • FredTS

Ready 2 Rumble was so good!

Posted: August 30, 2011 8:57 PM