Sessler's Soapbox: Finish What You Started

Posted: August 23, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: Finish What You Started
Sessler discusses the recent CNN article that claims only 10% of gamers play their games through to the end of the single player campaign.

• KungFuWarKitty

I intend to finish games before buying them. I am obviously interested in the game itself, but perhaps I also do this as a way of justifying the cost of purchasing a new game. Either way, I find that I experience what I would call a SENSE OF GUILT whenever I have not completed one of my games. Haha! I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way. Oh well, I'm off to see my therapist. Bye!

Posted: May 17, 2012 2:17 PM
    KungFuWarKitty
  • aguilarangel1.2.3.x.

damn i almost never finish my games 100%

Posted: April 2, 2012 5:36 PM
    aguilarangel1.2.3.x.
  • Cerrinos

Today I find myself playing games until the next big thing comes out and then dropping them for awhile or even indefinately. There's always more to play and putting huge amounts of time into each makes it hard to do them all, and in the end it's all about prioritizing what's worth your time. I've always felt that endings aren't usually satisfying and can hurt my view of a game; titles with exceptional last bosses like Demon's Souls excluded.

Posted: December 6, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Pitstop

Like several others, I usually get distracted from finishing one game because I get a new game.

I've also noticed that I have a very peculiar habit. If I really love a game a lot, I'll sometimes start playing it less as I get further into it. I think it's because subconsciously I don't want it to end. I'm starting to overcome it though. I tell myself to keep playing the game and enjoy myself because there'll probably be a sequel soon.

Posted: September 29, 2011 1:41 PM
    Pitstop
  • KanjiLikesBoys

I don't think you're being entirely fair in that you don't compare data 10 or 20 years ago. I don't think this is a new phenomenon, people not beating games has been pretty common as far as I know. Of course not to this pitiful 10% but it probably pretty low before the advent of xbla and psn. I think just general loss of interest is the main problem. After the climax of a story, sometimes the game looses drive as you push further to confront the person you already know did all the terrible things.

But thank you very much for that mental image of you playing video games in your underwear

Posted: September 24, 2011 11:15 AM
    KanjiLikesBoys
  • Keerplop

While I play MOST games I buy to the "end" I can understand why most people don't, and I think it's split between the two reasons.The younger gamers, like my nephew, finish a few games but spend most of thier time in multiplayer while the older gamers, like my father, just don't have the time to finish every game. If I like a game I try my best to play it to the end, but life is short and time is valuable.

Posted: September 18, 2011 7:23 AM
    Keerplop
  • angrycowtipper

Well, are they doing the math like they should (how many bought Mass Effect 2 or Uncharted 2 vs how many finished it in an average) or are they taking the biggest game out (Call of Duty Black Ops or MW2), figuring that's what we all want to play and finding only 4,000,000 (which is still a lot for sales of any game) out of 40,000,000 beat that game? Is everyone who bought Call of Duty or a Wii a gamer? Are they throwing in people who buy games on their phones? Something smells fishy.

Posted: August 30, 2011 4:34 AM
    angrycowtipper
  • Metalhead980

A game needs to hold me long enough to beat it.

Playing through Deus Ex: human Revolution right now and i look forward to playing the game every day.
    I also picked up Metro 2033 and honestly? After about five hours ill probably just uninstall it.

Posted: August 28, 2011 8:01 PM
    Metalhead980
  • mikedudez

something must be wrong with that 10 percent and pisses me off at the same time. this economic depression we are in and the expensive cost of living (CALIFORNIA>:( ) wont allow me to spend just 60 bucks for games that come out. they must be gamers who just like collecting games that other people want just for the need to be part of a gaming world.

Posted: August 28, 2011 1:34 PM
    mikedudez
  • agirlyman

Oh, and I play all my games on easy, just to be able to get through to the next game! Frak that gettin stuck BS!

Posted: August 28, 2011 12:17 PM
    agirlyman
  • agirlyman

Back in the day when great games were few, and far in between I use to finish every game. Seems as of late that I'm falling into this state of playing half-way through games, and being satisfied seeing all that went into the game. Most times a new game has been released to take it's place, and so on, it's a vicious cycle. Use to be worse before my PS3 was stolen, but when Uncharted 3 comes out, I'll have one again, plus I get a thrill out of just owning every must own title.

Seems like the only games I finish regularly the last several years is anything from Bioware, I'll go back and replay their games, when I have an whole dvd case filled of games I haven't beaten yet.

That last two months I have been forcing myself get to the end of some of these great games I own, just this past week I've knocked off Batman Arkam Asylum, Red Dead Redemption, and I'm just about at the end of the original "Mass Effect" (again! lol) Black Ops is most likely next, then Dead Space 2, not sure what after that, maybe "Mass Effect II", or "Dragon age Origins".

Oh Crap Madden 12 comes out on Tuesday!

I really haven't been showing the respect this Masterpiece games deserve, trying to do something about that, and from now to the end of November twenty more stinking games are going to be added to my already full 64 DVD case WTH!

I play games just about 24/7, and there's still not enough time for me!

/tear

Posted: August 28, 2011 12:14 PM
    agirlyman
  • Seraph6

I rarely finish games. When I play games, I like to explore the breadth of possibilities in the game's mechanics. I want to try every weapon and every magic spell, discover their strengths and weaknesses, and understand the rules that govern them within the game world. Playing a game is a fun way to do this. If a game keeps supplying me with new mechanics to play with or new ways to play with the existing mechanics, then I'm happy and continue playing. If I discover a dominant strategy, a way to complete the game's challenges without utilizing new mechanics or new methods, I lose interest. A game must also allow me to do what I wish with the mechanics. A big pet peeve of mine are games that claim to allow me to do anything, but wont allow me to use that one skill to do that one thing that I actually want to do. If you give me a fire spell in an open world, it should be a given that I will desire to set something other than my foes aflame.

Posted: August 26, 2011 9:57 PM
    Seraph6
  • unoffended

When it comes to this discussion you need to clarify one key element in this modern age of gaming. That element being what does one consider "finishing" a game. Is it completing the core story campaign to 100% or completing ALL objectives in a game to 100%. For me I more often than not always complete the story campaign of the games I play to 100%. Now when it comes to finishing EVERY objective that almost never happens with me. The last two games I fully (All objectives) completed were GTA 4 and GTA 4:The Lost And Damned. Which to some would only qualify as one game. That is of course bullcaca (I used caca instead of shi! because for some f-ing retarded reason you can't use profanity in the comments on this site. Oh our poor poor kiddys what will they ever do if they are subjected to that extra curse word on the oh so censored internets. Come on G4 you guys now that is lame bullshi!) if you think about it. Now the only reason I did that is because in those games when you 100% the game your ammo caps for each weapon are significantly raised. Essentially to the point that there unlimited. If that/no other significant reward was achieved upon 100%ing the game I wouldn't have bothered with at least 30% of the extra objectives. So in summery I usually complete the story, but almost never 100% a modern full on console game.

Posted: August 26, 2011 2:09 AM
    unoffended
  • commonperson

Much of the time the narrative drive of video games is not sustainable for the 100+ hours that gamers are demanding. Personally I'd be happier with 6 or 10 hour games that were really well done instead of monster 30 or 60 hour games that were poorly done.

I'm in that boat with people who drift in and out of games. Few I finish and when I do it's because they were exceptionally engrossing (Assasian's Creed II for example) others are great but I drift in and out taking chunks out at a time (Red Dead.) Length is an artifact from the "old school" JRPG crowd with 300 hour games like FF sagas as made evident by the "it's only X hours long" moan from people when talking about games. Length does not indicate quality and people need to start realizing that.

Posted: August 25, 2011 4:34 PM
    commonperson
  • Makaiju

Mr. Sessler is correct aaannnndd not so correct.

When I was in high school I would getup early on Saturday morning for Football practice and once I got back home, I turned on my Genesis and played until I passed out Sunday night/Monday morning.

As an adult I can still do that but I choose not to because I 'can' do so much more with my life. I can drive to the pool/beach any Summer weekend day I want without having to get permission (at least as long as I'm single I don't need permission), I can take a road trip to a micro brewery/game con/etc, or anything I want "as well" as play games.

But I will finish a game if I like it. Red Dead took over a month but again, I had other things to do. GTA IV took over a year because I had other things to do and it wasn't that great a game... but great games. Amazing games... games that I have a invested admiration for, I go right back to being a kid.

When Fallout 3 came out I scheduled 1 week of vacation. I got off work that day, took a long nap, saw a movie, had a great dinner, and stood in line until midnight. I then commenced playing until I passed out on the couch some 4 day later.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, same thing. (all though by Mass Effect 2 I found a great patter of taking 15 minute naps ever 6 hours during those 9 days of gaming.)

So Mr. Sessler, yes. If a game is worth it people do spend countless hours playing & finishing the game right away. If the game isn't so much worth it, it might take a long time to complete but most gamers will eventually finish. Still, if a game is just not-fun.... there is no gamer shame in toss the thing aside and moving on.

Posted: August 25, 2011 8:48 AM
    Makaiju
  • sigmakrom

I try to always finish games and for the most part I do. My problem is that I buy more games than I have time to play. I'll be enjoying a game but then my next pre-order is ready for pick up so i get into the new game. The end of this year is going to be really rough with so many good titles coming out in the next few months.

Posted: August 25, 2011 8:34 AM
    sigmakrom
  • 3DGrunge

I personally do no like to finish games. I find endings on games a waste.
    The point of a video game is to have fun in the game world, why would I bastardize that concept with a terrible ending.

I have finished numerous games without truly meaning to due to bad game design with forcing me to play through hours of mindless bad story just to unlock a game mechanic that interests me.

When I play a game I am not looking for a story. If I was looking for a story, I would go watch a movie or read a book. This is why I enjoy open world games and never push past unlocking all of the game mechanics, and then spend many many hours having FUN in the game world. Isn't FUN more important than playing through some terrible story line about some stupid character I could care less about because he makes beyond stupid choices.

RDR: terrible story line. Pointless missions, and no real reason or catalyst to make the player want to do any of the missions other than to finish the game.

If the point of a game is to finish the game, it will fail in that goal.

Posted: August 25, 2011 6:06 AM
    3DGrunge
  • JamesFinn1

I want a spider money. (read the comment before mine)

Posted: August 24, 2011 5:33 PM
    JamesFinn1
  • jdc6305

14 year olds can't play anything longer then 10 minutes. They have the attention span of a spider money. Thats why shooters are so popular. By the time they respawn they've forgoten what had just happend. The whole spawn run die mechanic fits them well.

Posted: August 24, 2011 5:11 PM
    jdc6305
  • poketfulashelz

When I go to the store to buy a game, I've usually invested 30-60 minutes researching it. For new release games, this means watching videos, interviews and sometimes playing it if a friend happened to get it at midnight or opening day. For older games, I usually read a lot of reviews and go on forums to look at if people are impressed with the mechanics, physics, and graphics engines.
    That being said, I almost never purchase a game that I don't enjoy. On average, I usually beat the game and try to get all the achievements except for the 2-3 that would take days to beat. On games like Call of Duty I definitely make a point of replaying the game on veteran, which forces me to rethink my strategy and style while not taking days to beat each level (except in the case of CoD 2 which I happily pushed through).
    What I would love to see is going back to the original medal of honor games in terms of single player length. While not being particularily hard games, Allied Assault, Spearhead, and Breakthrough took a long time to beat just because the amount of levels was seemingly endless.
    I can't wait to sink into R.A.G.E. and Elder Scrolls this fall. While the former might not take too long to beat it looks to have a lot of replayability like Metro 2033 and Elder Scrolls should keep me busy for at least a year.

Posted: August 24, 2011 4:38 PM