Diablo 3 Auction House: Blizzard Explains Why

Posted: August 1, 2011
Diablo 3 Auction House: Blizzard Explains Why
Blizzard's executive vice president of game design Rob Pardo talked to us about the new auction house feature coming to Diablo 3 that will feature real money, in-game transactions.

• Tapree

ill tell u this right now from a loyal and avid blizzard fan. if this game bcomes a boutique style game like perfect world international, where the only way to really compete is to spend outrageous amounts of real money to get best in slot gear then im out. i have played diablo since the first release. i have played WoW for 5 yrs and accepted the pay to play format of $40 / 60 day game cards. i love blizzard games as they really are the best in the business but..... i like my hard earned money more. if i am made to buy the game at whatever price they set it at and cannot just play the game, lvl my toon and farm best in slot gear then what have i been waitin for ? to throw endless amounts of money in order to compete with those whom money is no object ? in perfect world international cash shoppers rule the game. they have the best gear and dominate in any pvp sitiuation reguardless of skill. there is no way a rank 8 toon ($72 real money) can compete with a r9 toon ($1500 real money). cash dominates perfect world and if blizzard has "researched" this and has chosen to set diablo 3 in the same mold then im done with blizzard for good.

Posted: August 8, 2011 7:17 PM
    Tapree
  • thatmike2

This is FAIL!!! I can see it now, WoW going to a real life exchange rate, like Ebay in a game. They would drop a ton of real funds into a virtual banking scheme that pays them some amount for (at first) a few somewhat needed items within the game, then later when the virtual bank becomes independent and has made it's real world money back, and players are dependent on it, players would have to PAY MORE to do the EXACT SAME THING within the game. Well, that's one way to kill WoW off!! People play games BECAUSE they are NOT REAL! If I wanted to play a fail game with real money I'd play the STOCK EXCHANGE!!!!

Posted: August 4, 2011 10:09 AM
    thatmike2
  • HJC

I love the real money auction house! Over time, Diablo III will literally pay for itself. How cool is that? I can't wait for Diablo III.

Posted: August 3, 2011 4:58 PM
    HJC
  • critterforhire

I just had a horrible thought.....what if this game sucks????? I hope I'm wrong here, but there are some things lingering in all these recent videos that lend credence to that idea...

Posted: August 2, 2011 11:33 AM
    critterforhire
  • Severnik

The first two classes looked boring compared to the others, but i'm more than willing to accept that may have been due to poor video clip selection. I'm more than willing to trust blizzard that this will be awesome.

Posted: August 2, 2011 5:00 AM
    Severnik
  • xexplosiveegg

I love this idea, it is an amazing way to gain money without harming the player. Now if only EA would do something like this! They really just dont care about the player though...

Posted: August 2, 2011 2:51 AM
    xexplosiveegg
  • obvious2me

The idiotic remarks people are making about this update, on this website mostly, are incredible!

1) Auctions are separated based on region (US sells/buys to/from guess who, US!)
    2) Hardcore mode will not allow purchasing items via RL money (Waaaa little kid bought all his loot and owns me [Why are you playing on pansy mode where that is allowed?]).
    3) Even in pansy mode, you are NOT FORCED TO USE RL MONEY AUCTION! You can still choose the in-game money auction (to the people saying things relating to "OMG BLIZZ IS SO GREEDY I HAVE TO BUY ALL MY STUFF WITH RL MONEY")
    4) Constant internet connection requirement...... What are you playing D3 on, your laptop while your mother drives you to school, and you leech random wifi hotspots???
    5) You people make me sick, idiots.

/endrant

Posted: August 1, 2011 4:36 PM
    obvious2me
  • RobbyFred

This is beyond dissappointing. This may potentially ruin what would have been one of my favorite games. Real money should never be used for anything but vanity in-game. Can't wait to have some kid destroy me because mommy and daddy decked out his wizard. This also makes me wish they didn't get rid of single player so I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

Posted: August 1, 2011 12:33 PM
    RobbyFred
  • ManWhoWasNotThere

actually realtime worlds did something exactly like this, except instead of selling gear you could sell cars, clothing, symbols and guns that you custom designed in APB

Posted: August 1, 2011 8:20 AM