Penn Jillette Talks About New Book, God, No!

Posted: July 28, 2011
Penn Jillette Talks About New Book, God, No!

Comedian Penn Jillette sits down with Kevin Pereira to talk about his new book, God, No! Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales, where he reinterprets the 10 Commandments. Learn more about the book and what's coming up for Penn & Teller fans!

• Brick69

I just lost a lot of respect for Jillette Penn and gained a lot more for Kevin Pereira.
    Faith isn't all that matters in religion, its all that matters in life. If we didn't have faith in what we perceive to be real then we couldn't believe in anything. Whether that be God, science, or our own existence. I feel like this completely destroys his argument because he bases it on us having a shared reality, which requires a little faith in and of itself.
    Saying everyone lives as if they were atheist by driving safe and ducking bullets is where he is as bad as the fundamental Christians that tried to convert him. He acts polite, but only to save face, because he clearly has no respect or understanding of their beliefs which is fundamental when attempting to make an argument against them just like their probable lacking of understanding for his.

Posted: August 1, 2011 3:34 PM
    Brick69
  • ManUpMan

I'm glad he isnt saying that I as a man of faith can't believe I just fundamentally disagree with what he says. As previously stated there are many acts of faith yet to be explained by science so dont tell me I have nothing to show you to represent my faith...it isnt just in my heart

Posted: July 31, 2011 10:33 PM
    ManUpMan
  • terrorinc

I actually disagreed with this interview. While yes, I do agree in believing blindly in something with no proof is foolhardy, just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I'm just a person of "faith." There's actually quite a bit of proof in archaeology and history. And no, I don't believe it just because my father did, because he actually doesn't. I remember a story from the Bible when Jesus visited a woman at a well. She had never met him before, but she knew who he was after he told her entire life to her. She said "I believe HIm because He told me everything I ever did." I once went to a church service that was pretty large, with about 5000 people. And then he proceeded to point at one girl, and said "God wants you. He wants the victim. God wants him. He wants the addict. God wants this child over here, who's life has been ruined by what sin had done to his home." Then he pointed at me in the middle of thousands, and said "God says I want that man, who can no longer believe that anything good can happen to him. The one with no self esteem at all. That's the one He wants today." And he was absolutely right. I've lived with thyroid disease for eight years, and sometimes I wonder why, but I don't blame God, though others might. I believe Him because he told me everything I ever did. Though this was just one story, I have many others as well. All in all, I don't think politics or religious debates should be on AOTS. I simply want to have a good time watching their viral videos, comic and game news, and all of their pranks, movie reviews, etc. I watch AOTS to get away from all these people trying to tell me what to believe or which way to vote. If I wanted that, I'd watch the nonsense news channels all day like my dad does. Please leave the agendas on other channels.

Posted: July 29, 2011 8:11 PM
    terrorinc
  • LOCH2HOT

this guy is quite cool. Anyone else feel like he was being disrespectfull to K.P. ? ie. "hes an athiest, hes an athiest!!"(points*)

Posted: July 29, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Salem232

why is this even on aots? He says everyone lives like an atheist because they put their seat belts on and duck under fire. why would a God make a man that did not have the will to survive?

Posted: July 29, 2011 5:42 PM
    Salem232
  • Teddy201

why is he even on this show i don't get it this show has nothing to do with religion or atheism it seems random to have this guy on the show, this seems like an agenda

Posted: July 29, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Brojas791

Greatest interview ever.

Posted: July 29, 2011 12:06 PM
    Brojas791
  • spyke117

I loved seeing this interview, Penn Jillette is really quite wonderful.

Posted: July 29, 2011 10:23 AM
    spyke117
  • crocodilius

@yogi, he has 2 shows.
    Penn and Teller's: Bullsh%t
    and Penn and Teller's Fool Us (which is in britain but you can watch all of season 1 on youtube)

Posted: July 29, 2011 9:37 AM
    crocodilius
  • crocodilius

omg yes, you finally got an awesome guest!

Posted: July 29, 2011 9:33 AM
    crocodilius
  • mcflyboy123

I love religious discussions. I made up a set of my own belief's almost two years ago and now i can laugh at everyone and their ridiculous ideas. And forget atheists, that's just depressing. who wants to believe that when you die, its over. believing in something makes life tolerable, and if your wrong, who cares, your dead.

Posted: July 28, 2011 10:51 PM
    mcflyboy123
  • yogi_bear_rules

we really need this guy on mainstream television.

Posted: July 28, 2011 8:06 PM