Sessler's Soapbox: Comic Book Video Games

Posted: July 19, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: Comic Book Video Games
As Comic Con 2011 approaches, Adam talks about the unrealized potential in comic book to video game adaptations.

• hostile17

my bad I mean video games related to comics oops.

Posted: July 22, 2011 12:21 PM
  • hostile17

WTF does comic con have to do with video games, except for video games related to video games? I hate how it's all lumped into one. I disagree with Sessler's premise, hardcore gamers aren't necessarily hardcore comic book fans and vice versa.

Posted: July 22, 2011 12:20 PM
  • lolohwd

Dr. strange would destroy green lantern. i think the reason batman games have been the only good games is because of the character. batman. basically its like making a game for a regular guy that can sneak around and invoke fear. the heroes with the bigger powers get messed up in the mix. "how do we scale supermans powers" what kind of enemies does he fight?" in batman its simple. make hima fighting badass. and use regular guys

Posted: July 21, 2011 4:07 AM
    lolohwd
  • mr.brightside

i have been contemplating suicide for awhile now , but seeing this made my day . thanks adam :)

Posted: July 20, 2011 9:37 PM
    mr.brightside
  • chio182

Adam needs to stop swinging his batarang around; he'll go blind.

Posted: July 20, 2011 3:32 PM
  • soldojo

Yo Sess ! Good job pointing out something that gamers themselves have seen for a long while, but somehow, the people making these comic/super hero related games have kinda missed. I hope the quality of these types of games continues to rise, because, while I will never understand the "underwear on the outside" thing, some super heroes really deserve a freakin badass game at this point. And that list of deserving, yet unrepresented, heroes is quite long.

I thought this soapbox was a cheap tie in to comic-con, instead, you discussed a long standing issue in the games industry!

Soapbox is a neverfail.

Posted: July 20, 2011 2:16 PM
    soldojo
  • mitchthestitch

I like what adam said about feeling lie you are the character. My son loves batman. I got him lego batman on my 360 and he is amazed what he can do. Now video games aren't baby sitters but he is essentially playing with the same toys that he has in the game.My wife doesn't like him playing the game but ifyou watch him with his toys he's just beating up imagenary bad guys so whats the harm?

Posted: July 20, 2011 1:38 PM
    mitchthestitch
  • mattyd629

I think comic book games should be made more often as long as the people developing it are fans and want to do story lines from the comics or make new stories. The problem with most games, marvel for instance, is sega is just trying to make a quick buck on the movie licensed games instead of giving us a real true to comic experience. I'd love to see a new xmen legends or ultimate alliance game. Someone should definitely do a game based off the age of apocalypse story. I'd also like to see a punisher or ghost rider game done. They are both too bad ass not to get a game. Punisher had a game for xbox/ps2 that had a lot of great ideas like interactive environments. Imagine what they could do with the new consoles.

Posted: July 20, 2011 11:58 AM
  • kings_legacy

I have heard people complain gone too Hollywood with all the movies and games and less about the comics. I tend to lean more in the direction with the Sess on this one that having something for everyone is a good idea.

However I will complain that some companies do see Comic Con as a cash in and use it for the wrong reasons/ shouldn't even be there in the first place

Posted: July 20, 2011 11:34 AM
    kings_legacy
  • OneWingedAngelJL

No Feedback this week? Sad face.

Posted: July 20, 2011 7:13 AM
  • radde

Nice.

Just a brief hint from me: Stop using the camera you've recored tis video with. I can't belive I still have to look at interlaced material these days. Buy a cam that records in 1080p.

Posted: July 20, 2011 6:15 AM
    radde
  • permanent_nirvana

Batman is the greatest superhero ever.

Posted: July 20, 2011 5:53 AM
    permanent_nirvana
  • sickdoghats

@Adam I put you in my game http://www.engine001.com/games /Galaria+Break_1229.htm

Posted: July 20, 2011 2:43 AM
  • lizzuke

Diggin' the shirt Sess =)

Posted: July 19, 2011 8:28 PM
    lizzuke
  • xbigxdavex

batman games just rock plain and simple. ive been down with batman games since the awesomely frustrating NES one. whos with me?

Posted: July 19, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Dehnyen

I happen to be part of that small percentage that plays games, but doesn't read comic books. I don't know. It's just not something I've been able to get into to. Which is funny....

I love the new Batman movies. Spiderman was decent. Loved the X-Men movies. I just can't bring myself to READ the comics. So, I feel a bit like a poser, heh. Part of me feels like I should give them a try again, but I think I'll just end up with the same conclusion. However, I completely and one hundred percent respect the art form of comic books. There is a lot of talent across the board that is put into them. I have read a few comics that aren't "super hero" related that were pretty good. The Preacher was excellent. I feel like I'm trying to make a point and failing.

I have not played Arkham Asylum yet, but I plan to. I've heard too many good things about it to not try it. I hope comic con is a blast for those of you going. Enjoy!

Posted: July 19, 2011 5:27 PM
    Dehnyen
  • tinymhg

RESPECT! That is why Batman: AA is good. Lack of respect for the source material, or for the gamer will lead to a bad game. That said a good game is a good game only if it respects you, and more importantly if it's fun to play.

Posted: July 19, 2011 4:49 PM
    tinymhg
  • VeritasRex

the problem isn't that comic books make terrible movies or games, it's that no matter what property you use, with a fan basis, character catalog, and continuity that spans over 40 years, which is where many of the most popular properties and characters are at right now, there is no way to do it to please everyone. However, fresh series like walking dead, the darkness, or anything written by warren ellis will generally do well, because there aren't very many people steeped deeply in the mythos, and it also probably hasn't been retconed 85 times till sunday which can garner many subgroups of fanship.

Posted: July 19, 2011 3:59 PM
    VeritasRex
  • werdman24

I wonder who would win between Green Lantern and Doctor Strange.

Posted: July 19, 2011 3:44 PM
    werdman24
  • crocodilius

SO ADAM, HOW DO YOU LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA?

/end communication