On Location: G4's Proving Ground

Posted: June 14, 2011
On Location: G4's Proving Ground
Blair Herter goes on location with G4's new show Proving Ground, where favorite scenes from movies, TV, and video games get recreated in real life. Hosts Jessica Chobot and Ryan Dunn show Blair the ropes.

• noporcru623

we'll miss you ryan dunn you were a funny man way too young for that

Posted: June 21, 2011 7:37 PM
  • JonnySoul

I miss Ryan Dunn. Proving Ground was a good show from what I've seen. This was a great XPlay segment with Blair

Posted: June 21, 2011 10:43 AM
    JonnySoul
  • Tmidiman

Chobot is a grade AAA video games journalist. G4 would do well to add her to their group. She was too professional for IGN and was great doing features on Xbox Live.

There will be no ranting, immature reviews from her. You can bet on that.

Posted: June 15, 2011 6:47 PM
    Tmidiman
  • unscrewed_ronin

What ever happens, for the love of god keep Chobot. Her and Adam talking about video games during E3 was great. Intelligent, mature discussions about games, so good. With Abbie Heppe and Patrick Klepek gone Chobot can fill that void.

ps I'm not hating on anyone currently working at G4, I just think having more high profile gamers on staff will raise G4s legitimacy outside of it's current audience.

Posted: June 15, 2011 3:46 PM
    unscrewed_ronin
  • CareyGrant

No, it was about the science in the beginning. The Mythbusters were cool long before their current penchant for guns and huge explosions became more center stage. But the programing change works better with the knuckledragers who watch Discovery Channel's endless chum bucket of "reality" tv. Heaven forbid they actually learn something... Still, television is better with the Mythbusters than without them.

I, too, can't help but wonder if there's enough material to sustain the show. This is unfortunate as I like both Dunn and Chobot--they work well together.

Or they could do what the insulting rip-off effin' science tried to do: ape everything seen on Mythbusters for the last decade, only much, much lamer and less entertaining.

Posted: June 15, 2011 1:34 PM
    CareyGrant
  • TheDreadSovereign

You'll get a bigger draw by including even more members from AOTS and X-Play on Proving Ground, (if their schedules permit that is...)

Posted: June 15, 2011 12:30 PM
    TheDreadSovereign
  • 360dash

I watched an episode last night and thought is was pretty good but a little too "fake." For instance, in the episode I watched they went to a restaurant where Ryan got a pig head to scare Jess (okay) but after that Jess pushed Ryan's face into a cake. Obviously a scripted scene, the manager would not let them do any of that.

The show is still enjoyable but I would like it more if it was less scripted/fake.
    (just my opinion)

Posted: June 15, 2011 11:03 AM
    360dash
  • DPsx72

Speaking of which, with the popularity of Mythbusters I don't know how long this show is going to last. I mean it's not bad, but it doesn't feel like it will have fresh material after a few ep's.

Posted: June 15, 2011 10:36 AM
    DPsx72
  • JustTheBeginning

That catapult is weak and lame. I know there are safety issues but a massive catapult with a crash dummy would be so much more interesting. Did you learn nothing from Mythbusters, they were made famous with huge explosions and giant weapons.

Posted: June 15, 2011 9:55 AM