Sessler's Soapbox: E3 2011 Wrap Up

Posted: June 14, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: E3 2011 Wrap Up
Adam looks back at the surprises, revelations, highlights and lowlights of E3 2011.

• Zig-Zag!

Adam, I think you know in your heart of hearts why the gaming industry is in the place it is: gaming and gaming dollars are both evaluated under the terms and conditions of "entertainment". True, while things such as cinema enjoy both sides of the respective critical evaluation AND breezy free passes, gaming has yet to find its footing - at least in this culture's mind - as a mufti-facited form of expression. Im not saying the word "art", but I will say less than profound.

Part of this is simply due to time. Interactive media is the new media on the block, and thus needs more time to grow, so say critics. Heck, there are even still famous directors who to this day will claim MOVIES aren't art.

Yet part of the blame lies in the fact that the gaming media is a joke. Yes, there are great individuals within this collective group of people. Yes, there are even great institutions where these great people come together to be great in groups. But as a whole, long running magazines and websites havent even figured out what a statistical average score is...they are built on the foundation that 5/5 is the only thing worth playing (let alone buying), a 7.7 is worse than a 7.8, and anything less than a 8.5 is a very SERIOUS blow to the marketability of what they are reviewing. Like it or not, reviews are a form of ENTERTAINMENT which people vote on by blowing up a website when their new review for a big name game comes online. People don't pay their ad server space by dolling out abstracts...the money is in the numbers. I'm sure you realize this, and must be saddened to unfortunately have contributed a huge amount to this type of circus culture in your MANY years in the business.

I repeat, the gaming media is a joke. Though I recognize obviously all news outlets are not without their issues, I really, truly believe this media can only be rivaled by tabloids in lack of integrity. But I am glad you at least are taking your cohorts to task. I don't always agree with your (jaded) outlooks on far too many games or trends, but Ive always admired your spot. on. conceptualization of where the gaming industry stands. Thanks for this video.

Posted: November 9, 2011 8:41 PM
    Zig-Zag!
  • chocosquirrel

Also, art is rated using a numerical score. It's called money.

Posted: October 28, 2011 5:08 AM
    chocosquirrel
  • G4Punisher1

Think someone has pent up anger about things going on behind the scene and felt the need to project his frustration. Scores are given to everyhing because it is what people want. Period. There are a lot of people who will not watch, play, or listen to something unless it has a good score. Look at the oscars. They give awards to usually bad movies that made little in the theater. And mostly because they know people will go out and buy them, rent them, and these days download them. For no other reason then "it must be good it got a oscar!". Mean while great action moives that make hundreds of millions very rarely get anything. And only because they dont need them. They made their money.

Posted: October 27, 2011 8:47 AM
  • SirJamison

Amen.

Also i think you should start using the square root of -1 as a score so that you may then justify saying you gave the game an imaginary score.

Posted: October 26, 2011 1:31 PM
    SirJamison
  • candle

this is exactly the reason why i think the whole bf3 vs. mw3 thing is completely and utterly stupid

Posted: October 25, 2011 6:22 PM
    candle
  • BlueYoshi2014

Gotta agree with Adam on this one. I'm sure the Wii U is going to be a great and powerful console with a lot of potential, but Nintendo really didn't show us that much of it. I'm glad that they at least made it a point to tell us that they were aiming for the core audience this time around. I fully believe Nintendo can pull off bringing back the core audience with this new system, we just need to see more of it.

Posted: July 16, 2011 1:15 PM
    BlueYoshi2014
  • Darkkow

Adam, dude you got to 'man up' and stop B&Ming abpout being tired. Choose to love the job and fake your way through it or move over. I really hope you man up, you have a great mind and bring amazing perspectives to the larger issues around gaming.

Posted: June 23, 2011 12:12 PM
    Darkkow
  • gavinfeasel

true, nintindo's announcement of the Wii U created more questions than it answered. they even said they were more focused on the 3DS and its classic remakes of games than the Wii U. In my opinion, it was a weak launch. My main question at the beginning of E3 was "What can Nintintdo's new console bring to the table that will make me want to atleast partaily convert over to its hardcore side?" With only 3rd party games being announced now, i doubt I will. but I truely think why it was weak to me, was all the hype people pushed for the new Wii, which left most gamers hanging.

Posted: June 22, 2011 12:46 AM
    gavinfeasel
  • Pippdaddy

I like the way Bioshock Infinite is looking but there is no way I would select if for game of the E3 over Skyrim. The reason being, with Skyrim I know I'm gonna be able to do 100 more things that I'll be able to to do in BI plus I can decide how I want to play Skyrim, will I be able to in BI? I doubt it. And Skyrim is looking amazing as well so why is Adam and G4 giving BI so much more love. Do they love Levine that much? I know with ES games I get about 200 hours of play time, With Bioshock games I get about 10-12. I just don't get the love from Adam on this. I normally agree with Adam a lot but not with this. ES: Skyrim was the game of E3 with Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3 close behind, after those I'll say Bioshock Infinite.

Posted: June 21, 2011 1:04 PM
    Pippdaddy
  • permanent_nirvana

I agree with you Adam. I was already excited for Bioshock Infinite, before E3. Now even more so.

The gaming landscape is wrought with sequels but they are not all bad.

Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock Infinite seem to be the most promising from all of them.

But even a re-imagining of a series can be good. Tomb Raider is the best example of that.

That being said, I am however disappointed in the fact that despite all of these sequels coming out, the one sequel I want the most has yet to be announced. Borderlands 2.

Posted: June 19, 2011 10:41 AM
    permanent_nirvana
  • Psirius

1.Make Game

2.Make Sequel

3.????

4.Profit

Posted: June 18, 2011 11:44 PM
    Psirius
  • tplarkin7

Perhaps the developers are working on next-gen games for future consoles and they couldn't show them this year. This console generation is pretty old. Current consoles are either dust collectors, or set top boxes. Less games are being played because the tech needs updating.

Posted: June 18, 2011 11:30 PM
    tplarkin7
  • Spybreak

With the improvement of getting content and information through the internet I think E3 is getting chipped away lately. Most the shocks and major announcements get reported online so yeah when you hear or see them at E3 you're not as wowed.

Posted: June 18, 2011 9:32 PM
    Spybreak
  • P1rate

I agree. Excellent job at looking at it objectively. I think there are ALOT of gamers since the beginning who are misinformed and ignorant to much of what goes into development and how they simply cannot be all top notch games and even those AAA games are surrounded with ever increasing expectations that E3 can be somewhat unenjoyable. To put it simply, publishers want to make LOTS of money and they know how to do it. 2010 was a good year, 2011 has been good, why can't 2012 be just as good?

Posted: June 18, 2011 7:21 PM
    P1rate
  • P1rate

Posted: June 18, 2011 7:13 PM
    P1rate
  • TheSlowFlash

Hold off on your reviews until you rest up and are less jaded.

Posted: June 18, 2011 1:02 PM
    TheSlowFlash
  • Wavinglighter

I share your feelings here, Adam. Last week's "Feedback" was one of my favorites. Also, I think the industry does need to step back and look at this wave of sequel-itis that has reached a fever pitch, with many of the most anticipated future releases being sequels. Sequels aren't necessarily a bad thing, but what does this say about the gaming industry?

Posted: June 18, 2011 11:50 AM
  • yaydemocracy

Thank you Mr. Sessler for the valuable commentary, and thank you G4 staff for all of your hard work. Your coverage of E3 was appreciated. Now, the second purpose of this comment is to request a new book recommendation from Mr. Sessler. I find myself without guidance in the world of literature and would appreciate your opinions.

Posted: June 18, 2011 10:25 AM
    yaydemocracy
  • n8satt22

I'm just glad there is a fast forward button. Between your "ah's" and lack of enthusiasm I can hardly stand to watch this wrap up special. I would suggest you stay behind the scenes and enjoy your success, and let the hot chicks read a script like all other G4 shows are doing these days. You're tired sessler, in more ways than one.

Posted: June 17, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Jporr0121

It's true, this E3 didn't have any real captivating surprises. I think we just have to pick our battles though, because this fall and holiday are going to be awesome for gaming. I'm incredibly excited for Skyrim, not to mention all the other amazing titles (albeit sequels) to look forward to. Good Soapbox!

Posted: June 17, 2011 4:44 AM