Sessler's Soapbox: Call of Duty Elite

Posted: May 31, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: Call of Duty Elite
Adam discusses the recent announcement that Activision will offer a premium online multiplayer service for Call of Duty.

• UnArmed_Man99

Its gonna be the same kind of matchmamking server as black ops, so you know your gonna get alot of no mics. The only thing new is the graphics, gonna be the same kind of gameplay.( which means lots of lone wolfs) So now they are gonna charge for it, that sucks big time. I mean we pay for map packs, that should give you guys more than enough money to let us play for free, second to the sales of the game itself. But atleast the charge is a one time only, which means you pay it and you use it till you get rid of the game. But come on, support your fellow gamers instead of charging them to the death. Its funny how gevernment in everything they take over becomes a wasteland of taxes and charges.

Posted: July 10, 2011 12:51 PM
    UnArmed_Man99
  • ndrdd23

wow seriously why are they doing this thing again like last time didnt they try to ban gta vice city i dont get it they all ready have security for video its called esrp e ,m etc ive never seen a young kid walk in to a game store and pick up a rated m game ive seen them go with there parents like me ive always had my parents access to play rated m games and violent games theres no way that video game store workers are gonna give you a game without an adult or if you are 17 or 15 in some places i man the parents that are worried about video games that are violent stop worrying about everybody elses children and worry about yours ill tell you one thing write now ill never stop playing violent or any type of video as long as im alive if video get illegal sounds funny right ill go buy them in europe or japan i mean come on its the parents decision to get them the games when there in the stores and there faults there probably to busy on there phones to see what there kids are getting at the stores so if you ask me its those stupid parents fault that this subject has even been brought up and wow to some people video games keep alot of people out of trouble or stress free so why dont they worry about other things in the world that are happening in the world sorry if you dont understand my writing

Posted: June 28, 2011 6:56 AM
  • roc412

if you dont want modders in call of duty they should hav dc/servers and have them look at servers to make sure they dont mod

Posted: June 23, 2011 12:18 AM
    roc412
  • miva2

i'm very interested in this idea and don't mind if they charge money for it (even if it will obviously be too much). unfortunately i'm not interested in cod anymore.
    I'll watch someone else using it instead, i guess.

Posted: June 11, 2011 10:18 AM
    miva2
  • Tramz

It's a bit disappointing that even Adam falls into the trap of viewing online multiplayer as "free". It is not now, or has it ever been free. It is inherently part of the package for which we pay. Just because part of the experience takes place outside of our local machine no more means we are getting something for nothing than in any other part of the game. Our culture needs to rid itself of the mentality that the corporations love so much - the notion that somehow we are getting something that by all rights we SHOULD be paying for. It's a load. Unless they are offering something of solid value beyond the norm: dedicated servers, no additional charge for regular updates to their games, etc along the MMO model, there is no reason for charging.

In my opinion, CoD Elite is just the first step down a slippy slope. Once they get their foot in the door, if it works, of course they are going to charge for ever more.

For the record, I say this as someone with a WoW account since the beginning and who had an EverQuest account for 5 years before that. So I am no stranger to paying a monthly fee when justified. This however, while hardly necessary for the vast majority of players and certainly not required, still cannot be justified. And if it works and they try to charge for things less hardcore players care about, that will one more step down the path of convincing players they need to pay for for something they have already paid for, in many cases, multiple times (a person on the 360 has paid for the game, paid to play over XBL, and then would have to pay a CoD fee? Three times for the same thing? Hello robbery).

Posted: June 7, 2011 12:09 PM
    Tramz
  • tjarnagin

i have never paid for a online service before,but i will proubley get this service. i have every call of duty game ever made, and still enjoy all of them. really whats is the diffrence between this and paying for world of warcraft. you still have to buy every expansion and still pay monthly fees just to play online, but look at the billons of pepole who still pay to play W.O.W,and I never see Blizzard getting dawged for trying to make billons off of its hardcore fans. you still wont be paying to play COD online, atleast that is free unlike World of warcraft. In conclusion this Elite service that activision is offering if for the hardcore fans of Call of Duty. Most Pepole who are true hardcore fans of COD will pay for the serivce. just like hardcore fans keep paying 15 bucks a month to play W.O.W! It just depends on where you think you will get more bang for your buck.

Posted: June 6, 2011 11:57 AM
    tjarnagin
  • mpost

Call of Duty you take enough money from me with a new map pack every three months for 4 new maps...Now this!?

Posted: June 5, 2011 5:37 PM
    mpost
  • ZoMbIEx23x

I think a lot of you are confused about what Elite is really making you pay for. They released Q&A that game informer has on their website right now and I read it and it's really just like a F2P game where you get some things for free and if you want specific things you gotta pay for them. All the stat tracking stuff is free loot you get.

http://www.gameinformer.com/ b/news/archive/2011/06/03/acti vision-clears-up-cod-elite-con fusion-with-faq.aspx

I'd hate to steer away people from G4 but the people need to see this. My black-ops broke from playing it and i've yet to buy another copy because I don't like the game to begin with and secondly I bought it to play with my gf when she was still my gf. Her and I still talk.

Posted: June 5, 2011 2:43 PM
    ZoMbIEx23x
  • ZoMbIEx23x

Posted: June 5, 2011 2:27 PM
    ZoMbIEx23x
  • LordZarlon

Businesses do anything they can get away with. If we don't let them get away with charging us for what used to be free then they won't. We have to speak with our dollars. Call of Duty already makes plenty of money. If what we spend annually isn't enough then too bad for Activision. Everyone acts like online stat tracking is so amazing and revolutionary. Games had stat tracking long before this. The original Time Splitters tracked how many bullets you fired and feet you walked and that was way back in 2001. We don't need this.

Posted: June 4, 2011 6:07 PM
    LordZarlon
  • doodle_billy

i like turtles

Posted: June 4, 2011 12:43 PM
    doodle_billy
  • KiplingsShadow

I just like Adam's Praise the Lard tee shirt.

Posted: June 4, 2011 12:34 AM
    KiplingsShadow
  • sheekiller

All I have to say is Bungie does this for free - and they have been doing this for free since 2004.

Posted: June 3, 2011 11:19 PM
    sheekiller
  • Shimodi

If paying for stat tracking will get them to remove the stats of exploiters and make the stats meaningful, I'd pay. Also, they need to add a feature that tracks stats over a shorter time period than forever. It would be nice to see how I stacked up in the last month, 3 months, 6 months, etc. as opposed to only having a lifetime stat that penalizes me for starting the game late, being new to FPSs when I started, or whatever the case may be.

Posted: June 2, 2011 1:04 AM
    Shimodi
  • mattt3275

I think Adam has a good point on how games are set up and I do find that quite annoying. I am more of a single player gamer and when I buy a game like call of duty or even splinter cell they both have great elements of multi-player and single-player but I only bought it to play the story. It really bothers me how also there is achievements just for the multi-player part which really bugs me since I don't play a lot of multi-player games.

Posted: June 1, 2011 10:54 PM
    mattt3275
  • dino2100

the only real negative thing i can see is that the consumer (on xbox) will have to pay to access the online content initially- and then pay the company for the individual game(s) as well. That cost will stack up.

Posted: June 1, 2011 7:29 PM
  • rsattler

I'm with Sess here - particularly the end of his video where he says that maybe we'll finally get games that are EITHER multiplay or single player - not both. And I am all for that! Focus on one thing developers, I am tired of half-arsed attempts at both. Just my two cents.

Posted: June 1, 2011 7:09 PM
    rsattler
  • hXcHector

Adam Sessler, you always say what I think. Therefore, you are a genius ha ha. Seriously, people are freaking out with what little they know and assume so much will grow out of this. Maybe more will grow out of it, but if you think you're so smart, go play a more advanced video game instead of Call of Duty. This is a shooter for beginners.

Posted: June 1, 2011 5:05 PM
  • EliteBAMF

My annoyance is that they are charging for a service that Bungie has free for all of their multiplayer games. I sure as hell am not paying for something that should be free. They make millions off each CoD and yet they think they can charge for stuff like this claiming they couldn't support the feature without charging for it? Complete BS. If Activision goes too far trying to nickel and dime people they are likely going to see their franchises drop off

Posted: June 1, 2011 3:27 PM
    EliteBAMF
  • chio182

I think this is actually not as big a story as everyone makes it out to be. Bungie pro has been doing something similar for years and no one really seems to notice. I agree that Elite will probably only appeal to a very small fraction of hardcore gamers. I don't think it'll matter to Activision's bottom line, or to the average gamer.

Posted: June 1, 2011 2:01 PM