Sessler's Soapbox: Bang Bang You're Dead

Posted: March 1, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: Bang Bang You're Dead
Adam Sessler discusses Killzone 3, Bulletstorm, and the way shooter games have evolved from just shooting things to a more tactical and dramatic experience.

• Dehnyen

I'm becoming so apathetic these days with this sort of stuff. Life is hard enough. I can't be bothered to sit around a bicker about console this console that, shooter this, shooter that. I bought both games. They both rock in their own ways.

Done.

Next topic.

Posted: March 8, 2011 2:12 PM
    Dehnyen
  • thejman85

killzone sucks !!! played 2 hated it worse controls ever i also hate ressistance uncharted is good and so is infamous

Posted: March 8, 2011 6:52 AM
    thejman85
  • obanana1

they should make a game thats called LIFEZONE... LOL!!!!!! first thought after what adam said in the end....thumbs up if you agree.

Posted: March 8, 2011 6:07 AM
    obanana1
  • VelcroJonze

I must play Bulletstorm. I loved the demo. Killzone 3 is a bit boring. I have had since day one and haven't finished it yet. It just doesn't keep me interested. It's nice to look at, but not much fun to play.

Posted: March 7, 2011 4:00 PM
    VelcroJonze
  • zer02000

I don't like Halo, But Ive gotta agree with Sess. I've played all three Killzones And by now it is kind of repetitive. with that series and its grey gloom, the COD series with the standard military story and same soldier characters in multiplayer its getting pretty old. The last FPS that I really played full force was the Timesplitters Series. It was good because it had character. all of the characters weren't faceless soldiers, there was always a sense of humor to the multiplayer because of the announcer, and it put alot of strength on the weapon selection. not just the same standard weapons that you've seen in every next gen FPS. We do need variety in every genre, not the same military-driven FPS that's been coming out for a while.

Posted: March 7, 2011 2:01 PM
    zer02000
  • nnepveu

It is kind of frustrating that most games nowadays seem to be shooters. Therefore, it is refreshing when one comes along that shakes things up. I really hope developers calm down a little on the shooters and try to add some variety to the mix. Although, this year does look like it will be a good one, Deus Ex, Uncharted 3, Crysis 2, etc.....

Posted: March 7, 2011 11:15 AM
  • TheMilkMonster

Thinking back on halo 2:
    That game has the most memorable moments for me. It's the only game that I've ever loved every multiplayer map (until the map packs came out). I remember playing snipers, or rockets with my friends on Foundation, or zombies (back when it was a custom variant you had to make yourself) in ivory tower for 8+ hours. I remember playing through the co-op campaign in one sitting with a couple friends, taking shifts. As far as specific moments in the campaign, I remember loving crossing the huge bridge demolishing the covenant in the scorpion tank. And probably my favorite vehicle segment of any game, when you hop in the banshee and Incubus music comes on as you take out so many guys. Plus, I thought switching between the arbiter and master chief was genius.

Posted: March 7, 2011 9:41 AM
  • sick111one

Seriously g4 is once again jumping on Microsoft's d*ck. Halo as memorable? Really? I think Halo's story was extremely boring and yes while I agree Killzone 2 was a gorgeous game but boring Killzone 3 is insane I love it. Seriously Microsoft is doing nothing these days... The only game I am getting on that console is Gears 3. Sony is where it's at. Stop the hate.

Posted: March 7, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Thogin

lol lol shooting them in the head and the bring them back to life how about that adam?

and then you can turn them into zombies and make the go rush enemies while you shoot them in the head and continue the cycle of headshot/zombie fun....

I understand what your talking about... Gamers lately have been shooting a lot as the main means of taking out an NPC, where are the fireballs, release of rats, poisoning their food, making them small and stepping on them...

Posted: March 7, 2011 7:05 AM
    Thogin
  • Spybreak

I feel just like I do with racing games. I like simulation racing but after a while this gets a little bland. There you have the option of arcade racing which throws things into the mix and has pretty explosives and such. With FPS you can get simulation FPS, realistic like FPS or arcade FPS now which is great.

Posted: March 7, 2011 2:03 AM
    Spybreak
  • HardcoreGamertag

so no memberal moments huh so taking on that huge boss isn;t memberal, sneaking by as helghast isnt either,driving in ice vehical & all isn't memberal, & so many more i don't wana spoil anymore of the story u said in the review that the story was bad but i loved it u say kz3 has no memberal moments but u didn't mention 1 in bulletstorm i think why u & ign this game is because u both love cliffy if u don't wanna play serious shooters play the wii is what i say i love g4 but thats my opinioon i'm looking foward 2 ur review of gears & cod when u tlk about the fps gripes but they will be simalur 2 kz but u'll give those games a 5 just like u do every yr

Posted: March 6, 2011 10:25 PM
    HardcoreGamertag
  • ackack72

I agree with you Sess.
    I bought and played both of the games and came to the same conclusion.

Posted: March 6, 2011 7:40 PM
    ackack72
  • PrometheanArsonist

It's all about quality game design in the end. Light, heavy, funny, serious, and dramatic are all great tones, but they're just pieces to a much larger product. Themes and tones make for excellent tools and art directions that a hard-working development team can use to make something people will enjoy. The genre doesn't have to be generalized to two divisions. There are plenty of unique shooters out there, and they fill a whole spectrum of classifications, not just the "light" and "serious" tags.

Posted: March 6, 2011 4:32 PM
    PrometheanArsonist
  • KilledFirst

Having played every Halo game, I'd like to know what you found epic in the games? Yes Killzone doesn't have any truly epic moments, but I find the single player campaign to have something that grabbed my attention more than any Halo has. This is as the soapbox is, my individual opinion. I Just don't understand what this "Epic Moment" is in any of the Halo games. Are you referring to the moments where battles seem to be artificially inflated for the purpose of extending the game play or is it something I might have missed? Epic moments should be "wow" moments, and I've never been wowed by any first person shooters story outside of MoH's storming the beaches of Normandy, now that was an EPIC moment. I'm always in a hurry to get to the end of the game just so I can say I beat the story mode. Just padding my achievement/trophy lists with the auto achievements/trophies.

Posted: March 6, 2011 12:52 PM
    KilledFirst
  • kanabo master

Great....more indirect shots at Sony games....and from G4,didn't see that coming,lol

Posted: March 6, 2011 12:16 PM
    kanabo+master
  • FIREfortheSOUL

I have yet to play either of the two games, but I'm seeing what everyone is talking about as far as diversity goes in a shooter. My personal favorite was Mirror's Edge. It gives you the FPS aspect, but instead of running around shooting people like every other game, you're running away from the people trying to kill you. Granted you can disarm opponents and use their weapon to give you that classic FPS feel, you have the freedom to just drop the gun and keep on running. So yea looking forward to Brink, but I'm gonna have to wait awhile for Bulletstrom to come down in price because of all my pre-oders at good 'ol Gamestop.

Posted: March 6, 2011 7:39 AM
    FIREfortheSOUL
  • angrycowtipper

I'll throw in my two cents, because, why not? I like to talk about video games too. I would say 'yes and no' to the question at hand. One of my favorite games this gen is Team Fortress 2. There's nothing better than playing as a soldier, rocket jumping above my foes, and getting them to explode into meaty bits before I land. That being said, however, aside from it's visual style, TF2 can get pretty competetive, and the way the characters are voiced, some might say some funny things, but you never forget they're there to kill. So that one game is a special exception to what I'm about to say:

In Killzone 3, I like progressing through the campaign, as there seems to be a purpose behind what I'm doing. I like everything looking real. And it's probably a campaign I'll revisit. Bulletstorm seems good for a few laughs, after which point, I'd remove it from my system. No more than 1.5 hours at a time. I'd equate it to listening to Weird Al. After hearing "I'm Fat" and another number, I'd probably say "Ha ha. That's funny. Now let's listen to some real music." and take it out, as I'm not 12 anymore.

Maybe shooters should do something different, but I don't think regression is it.

Posted: March 4, 2011 11:44 AM
    angrycowtipper
  • Gilby Martinez

I do agree some what with what Adam said, some games do take themselves way to seriously. Bullet storm is quite fun, I do like killzone 3 though. most fps are starting to look the same. as long as they are good ill still play the COD, Halos, and so on, but a few fun and silly over the top games would be a welcome site.

Posted: March 3, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Christ0bell

i c

and there i was thinkin about a cartoony fun comedic dramatic fun 18 rated fps

starring a bunch o Aliens (your one of em) discoverin Rares space station silicon valley

and havin a whale of a time......colourful deadspace with cartoony animals and fun times.

Posted: March 3, 2011 8:47 PM
    Christ0bell
  • expl0siv0

"Without a sense of distinction its very hard to appreciate what good is actually in a product."
    Amen to that, brother.