Sessler's Soapbox: The Fox News Bulletstorm Controversy

Posted: February 15, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: The Fox News Bulletstorm Controversy
Adam chimes in on the whole Fox News Bulletstorm controversy, and is surprisingly mellow tempered.

• BoydofZINJ

Here is what I do not understand.

Mass Effect 1 had multiple endings? You either saved the council or did not (saved the destiny assention or not). You killed Sauren - had some dialogue options and can appoint either Udina or Anderson. Was there more to the ending that you can get? (Keep in mind I said ending not near the end or in the middle or the beginning).

When Mass Effect 2 appeared most of our decisions carried over. The biggest point that never carried over was the Udina vs Anderson thing (it was explained the last save happened BEFORE Shepard selected). So in ME 2, you can alter history and select Udina or Anderson - regardless of what you really did in ME 1. Let us talk ending for Mass Effect 2... how many were there?

Shepard can either destroy the Collectors station or not - some (or all) the crew can either live or die and Shepard can either live or die. Naturally, if Shepard died, then you can not play ME 3 with that ending. Most of the people here will claim Mass Effect 2 was nearly perfect and the end was awesome and inspiring and you can make things happen and change the outcome... however, what outcomes were really happening?

Posted: March 21, 2012 7:29 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • nabeel333

fox news is more likely to cause rape out of pure frustration by their own part, not bulletstorm

Posted: January 9, 2012 11:37 AM
  • DooMTacK

Why don't they ever complain about the things our musicians sing about, and we pump them on our radios day after day? Aren't any of those things as suggestive as some words in a video game?

Unless people start ignoring these pleas for attention by people like Fox news, it will continue until one day, the idiot, unintelligent society decides to raise a cry, about which they do not understand and makes it bad for all of us.

Posted: March 8, 2011 1:36 PM
  • vrinfl

Being a father, I am would not let me kid play this game and numerous others. I also watch Fox News (don't bash me) because I am far from liberal. I am not a far right zealot either. Here is the thing, this game and many others should not be played by children, but it SHOULD BE UP TO THE PARENTS. Parents need to do research and play the games themselves since most parents in their 20 to 30s already play vids. If the game is too violent, then the youngins should not play them. If you feel that your teenager is "mature" enough to handle the game, then so be it.

My biggest issue with games is not the gaming itself, but these kids who play all the frigin time. They get up play PS3 or Xbox, leave and turn on their portable gaming system, then come home and turn on the system again. To me this is worse than a violent game being played at increments.

Posted: March 3, 2011 3:55 PM
  • SaveTheZombies

Sessler's like the Tom Waits of Video Game news.
    Good perspective.
    The only problem is that a lot of people actually still take Fox News seriously.

Posted: February 28, 2011 5:06 PM
    SaveTheZombies
  • nicknasty14

God, do libs love to twist the truth!!! Just incredible how many blind liberal media sheep are out there. Amazing!

Posted: February 22, 2011 11:39 AM
    nicknasty14
  • FuzzofPekinopolis

Cable News is a for profit business. Probably more blatantly for profit then all other news outlets. They will talk about whatever helps them pay the bills. They have a right to talk about whatever they want, but it doesn't mean you have to listen, or take them seriously.
    This is completely wrong on Fox News's part. If they want to have more credibility in the future I suggest they do more investigating before pooping out there mouth. I'm not asking you to agree with me, but if you look at all Cable News with an open mind, this happens all the time.
    The news today is not what it used to be. This is not the reporter down the street writing a story on the local news in your town for the day. These are highly paid, celebrity-like, cable stars. Most of them are trying to get noticed for a show of there own. They are appeasing there viewers to attain maximum viewership.

Posted: February 21, 2011 1:19 PM
    FuzzofPekinopolis
  • alexml

I wonder if anyone over there has read Romeo and Juliet? In the play/story an adult has sex with 13 year old girl. Statutory rape anyone? It's read in schools all over the world and is considered a work of art. I don't see any news on how that book is telling people to have sex with underaged kids and marry them?

Posted: February 21, 2011 9:23 AM
  • damianichabod

This is the first time since the nonsense posted by Denverpost after Columbine that the media has actually said something THIS stupid! Back in 1999 DP claimed Harris modded Doom to be a 'School Shooting Simulator' where players went around with a second player shooting down innocent kids in a school that begged for their lives.. The story caught on... Even though it was physically impossible at the time to actually mod the game to allow 3/4's of what they said. (infinite ammo and a second shooter and new weapons for both). DP and other sites claimed that a Hate Group found it on a copy of Harris's Website that they stumbled apon. But researching it I found out that the whole thing was bunk because of the fact that the FBI locked down his site and the only remaining archive of it at acolumbinesite.com fails to have his 'modified' version of the game. But it spread to 'violent games awareness sites' as proof that Harris was influenced by Doom. I found at least 20 in a google search. Right afterwards senates and Tenn and some other state drafted Bills to Ban All Violent Games to All Age Groups (Not just kids). They were struck down in the supreme court. Repeat this with the 'proof' that Bulletstorm is a Rape Simulator and it actually might succeed. The proof is a lie, of course. There is no actually rape case influenced by violent games. And bulletstorm lacks any real sexual content that could make it a 'Rape Simulator'. However people who watch fox news will believe it if they are right wing nutjobs. Well guess what, they have a major influence in the Congress now. Hope this doesn't backlash to create a ban in the US.

damianichabod.wordpress.com

Posted: February 20, 2011 11:42 PM
  • ninjamatt52

Mr. Sessler, I don't ever side with Fox news, but just the same, don't you think Bulletstorm has too much penis? "Hey, I'm a big penis." I think they've gone a little too far. I think it's a little unnecessary to get as over the top gross and violence as this. I don't think that's the direction we need to go. What do you think?

Posted: February 20, 2011 11:39 PM
    ninjamatt52
  • TheStranger110

fox news bulletstorm is not for kids its designed for mature audiences

Posted: February 20, 2011 12:00 AM
    TheStranger110
  • mkburton52

Are you really surprised about the people on fox news saying something moronic and stupid with absolutely nothing to back up what they say. Seriously government intervention will not happen. If parents do not want their children to play certain games then it is their responsibility to make sure that they do not play them. A big company will not drop rated M games because there will be a big loss in profit. The government wont get involved because church is separate then state and people have the freedom to have what ever morals they want as long as they do not violate the law. Plus the government can't say much about violence when they recruit kids in high school and bomb the crap out of nations. They pretty much want to encourage children to serve and protect their country in the military where they can potentially kill or be killed. Seriously... if anything violent like Call of Duty and Crysis steer children into want to start a military career.

Yes video games to influence the minds of youths and they can effect their behaviors. Me and my friends used to pretend play mortal kombat all of the time when I was 12. However, just because youths are influenced that doesn't mean that they will do the extreme and commit crimes because of them. Its a matter of will to do so and various other factors. It's been about a decade and I haven't ripped anybodies heart out or punched them into a bed of spikes. (may have imagined doing so to some d-bag bosses that I have had but I have never done it. Granted there are some crazies out there but violent crimes have existed for thousands of years before video games were invented. There has not been one recorded case where a normal kid starts to play rated M games and is transformed into a killer. If they were brought up to know right from wrong then they can tell the differences between fantasy and reality.

Unfortunately some people are just ignorant. Like the people on fox news. At least play the video game and use common sense and discernment. People can be influenced by a lot of things including the programming on FOX... Cancel Family Guy because Peter Griffin is an alcoholic and kids might drink booze and get into hijinks and shinanigans like he does.

Fox news case is pretty weak because they have absolutely have zero evidence that games like bullet storm will influence children negatively especially since it is a game that only adults can purchase. (even though a lot of kids still played rated m games because their parents buy it for them and they don't care or they buy it themselves... If a kid was 16 or 17 in my line I don't even have to check ID pecause it isn't company policy or a legal obligation)

The creators of bullet need to sue fox news for libel and slander for trying to kill their games sale regardless if the game does well or not. A kid isn't going to buy a game and then go out and attack a random woman because of a FPS.

Posted: February 19, 2011 10:04 PM
    mkburton52
  • RORYFISHERSC

I am actually now going to get the game because of FOX news, this is what fox News actually does to children, they tell you not to do some thing , and then you feel the need to try it

Posted: February 18, 2011 2:56 PM
    RORYFISHERSC
  • FuzzofPekinopolis

Mr. Sessler has the right to not go to Fox. In his years doing this job he has probably realized that you can't argue with stupid people. He would be going into the lions den if he went over there. He is also responsible for all the gaming content at G4. So it may be a scheduling problem as well.
    Furthermore, anyone who is posting out there trying to make this a political thing is dead wrong. Now if you want to discuss ratings that would be more correct. The internet explodes with irritated gamers every time something like this comes up. This leads to increased viewers for at least a short time.
    The best thing to do when something like this comes up is ignore it. I have been ignoring all cable news, and political radio for a long time now. And I feel great, I'm not unhappy, semi-depressed, or stressed out anymore. But my local news still keeps me informed of the important stuff. This media hurricane we live in everyday will kill you if your not careful.

Posted: February 17, 2011 3:31 PM
    FuzzofPekinopolis
  • spiritsoftime

I haven't listened to a thing Fox News has "reported" since that Mass Effect story. They already proved through their willingly ignorant and disrespectful reporting about Mass Effect that they don't have any journalistic integrity to speak of. In fact, I wrote an English essay about that fiasco and used the X-Play editorial as a source. Thanks for helping me get an A! =)

Posted: February 17, 2011 12:17 AM
    spiritsoftime
  • shortman19032

Adam, can you please stay at G4 forver, and ever.

Posted: February 16, 2011 11:02 PM
    shortman19032
  • MaVannas

Why did Adam deny Fox's request at appearing on Fox and Friends over the "No Russian" controversy? I can understand not wanting to fly to NYC from California, but that wouldn't be neccessary. To the average observer it makes perhaps one of the most articulate advocates of gaming seem unwilling to share a common Forum with the opposition and as such stubborn and closed minded in addition to spiteful.

These are not my opinions on Sessler, it just may seem this way to an outsider looking in, and with G4 being the only network almost entirely dedicated to gaming and technology it makes it the example media outlets may in the future use to describe the disposition of gamers and developers as a whole. As such the network SHOULD be trying to communicate with the critics of the industry it so closely reports on if not simply to boister the public opinion of the network itself but also the public opinion of gamers as a whole.

Whenever Sessler makes Soapbox segments about a news controversy on gaming I keep thinking back to Sessler's rejection of Fox's invitation to him to discuss "No Russian", what if he had said yes? Chances are that Fox News, at least on the issue of gaming, would be more informed and respectful of the medium we on this website love.

To Adam I ask, how can we expect the media at large to respect gaming as a legitment entertainment and (arguably)art form if one of gaming news' most recognizable personalities is too stuborn to face his opposition or otherwise too afraid to.

I suggest that next time a G4 gets invited by a news outlet to debate that they take it. The news groups can't get 'real' experts as G4 states (which is funny since none of them are experts in psychology so who are they to judge) is because no experts WANT to go. Its the gaming media's own damn fault that 'controversies' like this occur because they allow ignorance to grow in the mainstream and then complain about it.

Standing on your Soapbox here on G4 is not enough if you actually cared about it, honestly how many people do you think you're reaching? Amoung those people how many did not already know what you're saying?

Posted: February 16, 2011 6:46 PM
    MaVannas
  • Spybreak

The first I heard of this issue I didn't even look at the articles that were written or linking to the story. Yeah you can only cry wolf so many times Fox News.

Posted: February 16, 2011 6:19 PM
    Spybreak
  • Madhatter822

Hey Adam, word of advice: Unless you watch Fox News the ENTIRE time and not just when they talk about a video game, you can't really say anything about them. I know you in California and are super liberal and everything, but give it a rest. CNN, HLN, and MSNBC do stuff like this all the time. Yes, they don't do it on video games so spare me the "Oh no they don't" stuff. But they do it on other stuff. EVERYONE DOES SOMETHING FOR RATINGS, EVEN G4 (hate to burst everyone's bubble). I will say Fox News stepped out of their element by talking about this, but unless people actually ready anything Fox News is more highly rated than the companies I just listed above. I mean come on, when you are below viewership to the Cartoon Network (Umm, CNN, HLN, & MSNBC, I am talking to you) you really have no business trying to bash everyone else for your poor ratings. It only gets worse when you are fighting a losing fight. Oh, and one more thing Adam, Tea Party Activists are not Nazis and don't hold up Holocoust signs, maybe you should look at your own party for that one (For people who don't know what I am talking about, go watch the Feedback episode where they used Deadly Premonition as their game of the week.)

Posted: February 16, 2011 5:01 PM
    Madhatter822
  • wiggum

There is no "controversy". Just a sad attempt by Fox News at fearmongering and making a mountain out of a molehill. If those numbskulls are "experts" then I'm the friggin' Queen of Sheba. Or maybe Dr.Phil. It's impossible to get too upset about the "issue" because it's impossible to take seriously. There's nothing there. More people aren't making a fuss because they realize this self-evident truth.

Posted: February 16, 2011 4:46 PM