RIFT: Planes of Telara Hands-On Preview

Posted: February 15, 2011
RIFT: Planes of Telara Hands-On Preview
RIFT puts a new spin on MMOs with demon-world portals appearing at any moment dumping enemies, and Blair Herter sits with Prod. Adam Gershowitz for a preview of Prestige Ranks and PvP game modes like Capture the Flag, Martyr, and Battle for Port Scion.

Games in this Video:

The Rift (PC)

• triggerhippy

Very impressed with this game. Preordered it already.
    Love the Rifts and the invasions that run across the world are a blast. Love the ideas that the devs have come up with so far. Twitter integration ingame is fun. And the fact that it's the best looking MMO I have seen sure doesn't hurt!

Posted: February 17, 2011 12:14 PM
    triggerhippy
  • fvbtyfv

They are not atheist. They believe in the gods existence they just dont think they are worth having faith in.

Posted: February 17, 2011 6:39 AM
  • DarkKirby2500

From what I've seen this game looks like a lot of fun, and I like the concept. Atheist with technology vs the Religious group with assistance from the gods. While I still wouldn't pay subscription fees for a game (or games as I refuse to pay the 360's $60 + the cost of the internet itself to use online features other systems offer for free), I like the concept of the constant invasion threat leading to huge public quests (with a system where there is no fighting for drops and allows leeching but limits it's benefits). Since enemy difficulty scales with the amount of people, there is a lack of people fighting over who gets to use the public quests and who has to leave.

And it's great how there are enemy patrols, and mobs which when you attack, aggro other monsters as well. It never made sense to be how apparently, enemy friends/minions apparently don't mind if you attack their friends/superiors/allies/under lings, because you didn't specifically aggro them, which was easily manipulable and didn't make any sense. Why have backup or allies if they're just going to watch as they are all picked off 1 by 1? I'm speaking from the monsters point of view here.

Posted: February 16, 2011 2:26 PM
    DarkKirby2500
  • StarWars_Enigma

I'm in the beta right now, and its so fun! I'm am going to ditch WoW in favour for this game. I was going to ditch WoW anyway when The Old Republic comes out, but it looks like I'm going to be torn when TOR comes out

Posted: February 16, 2011 1:23 PM
    StarWars_Enigma
  • caedmonjar

Rift looks really polished in the lower levels and even the early level dungeons offer basic to moderate tactics for players looking for some kind of challenge. With their concept of rifts opening in the world and world invasions for each zone, its easy for both casual and hardcore players to experience basic raid action quickly, very early on in the game.
    I think most people's concerns are with end game content - how much there will be, how challenging it will be, etc. That said, based on comments from the developers and the fact that the developers are very quick to work with players' needs, I don't doubt that they'll bring some very nice content very quickly at the upper levels.

Posted: February 16, 2011 12:06 PM
    caedmonjar
  • macross2012

This game is already dead and buried.. No one cares.. Should be free to play within the next 90 days.. ITS A FAIL

Posted: February 16, 2011 11:38 AM