Sessler's Soapbox: The Playstation NGP

Posted: February 1, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: The Playstation NGP
Adam takes the time to discuss all the trouble he sees for Sony's new portable gaming system, the NGP/PSP2.

• BreakY

I think that as awesome as the hardware of the NGP is, their two biggest problems are the aim of the thing and wasted potential. Sony has a clean slate to start over with and to differentiate itself from other portables, and they again go with the muscle car approach. If I am going to be able to play console experiences on a portable, I'd rather play my console.

If anything, because of the whole portable aspect, it really would have been a game changer if Sony put all its efforts into making the NGP as the real muscle car equivalent of the iPhone/iTouch and blow it out of the water. Yeah, replace that half-assed approach that the Xperia Play is and go all out. Portable game console, phone, hey maybe even have an HDMI-out and play games in 1080p with 2-4 Dual Shock 3's via bluetooth.

Man, if I had something like that, that is all I'd need. Screw the iPod Touch that I have now, Sony would own my heart if that happened.

Posted: March 29, 2011 2:42 PM
  • RolyThePro

I think it's smart to introduce a product to the market while still holding information back like Sony is doing with the NGP. Unless they're ready to announce an official release date for the product, this is the way it should be. I find that when hardware or games are announced too early, I get excited about them at first, but by the time they are actually on the market, I'm extremely disinterested and have already moved on to the next thing.

Posted: March 17, 2011 7:51 AM
    RolyThePro
  • JoshuaManriguez199

two points he mentioned is dead on the Nintendo DSI one about just sitting at home and wanting to play a handheld i mean i've played my ds kingdom hearts over my ps2 one i mean ds versions lack the drive system which i love but nintendo is good like that and the other was applicable to the 3ds as well about hearing the features and saying i have to get that there are two things that bug me well one bugs me and the other is going to force me to do detailed research and i mean to the letter bugs me:calling sony's handheld rep rough which is what you call nintendos recent sales sony is much much worst and the research comes in where he makes the claim that 3ds isn't or might not do so well which is what people said about the ds when it boomed over the psp which was thought to be the best seller when ds sold more

Posted: March 6, 2011 8:40 PM
  • miva2

I was feeling the same about it as Adam. Ofcourse i'm excited about it as a sony fan and it looks to be a great piece of hardware. interesting backtouchthing.
    but somehow it didn't give the buzz of I NEED THAT NOW!
    i still want one though, but i don't relaly feel like i need one.

Posted: March 4, 2011 12:22 PM
    miva2
  • Tyri3l

I was excited about the PSP2 for having improved graphics and a second analog stick and the analog sticks being actual sticks.

Right now though we have no idea what original games will be on the system, all we've seen is ports of PS3 games. I'm sorry, while that's interesting it doesn't do it for me. I'm not going to buy Uncharted 3 on PS3 and another copy for PSP2, I'd just get the PS3 version. I'm not saying that's the case, I just don't want to see the PSP2 become a receptacle for PS3 ports.

The other issue is the price, I think they have a real problem if it both costs more than the 3DS and as much as or more than a PS3. Especially being that when the PSP2 finally launches the 3DS will have already been out for 9 months and will have built up a library of games by then. Not that I'm interested in the 3DS, just like the original PSP it only has 1 analog nub.

Right now I'm still more likely to get a PSP2 but if it's $300+ I'll pass, I don't see it as offering the same value as my PS3 and rather than buy more hardware that's money that could be spent on games.

Posted: March 2, 2011 8:30 AM
    Tyri3l
  • SaveTheZombies

Let's just hope that their marketing dept doesn't come up with anything as ghastly as "all I want for xmas is a psp."

Posted: February 28, 2011 5:20 PM
    SaveTheZombies
  • estaples

Okay, being able to play PS3 games and watch movies is a HUGE thing that will allow this handheld to compete with the 3DS and laughable iphone. Also, having google and android technology in it will allow it to double as an ipad, so to speak.

Judging from ALL the comments in the feedback episode, it seems that people just don't understand your utter discomfort with calling it the NGP. Why so much trouble calling it by a code name? Kinect was called Natal or a while wasn't it? Is using acronyms what bothers you here? Do you too have trouble saying PSP and PS3? Why does calling it NGP make you think of some 90's mtv thing, are you just making up things to complain about??? You sound so snide every time you try to refer to its name.

Also, why oh why are you freaking out about the release date not yet being released? You can't complain about the release date being bad until they give you a release date. Again it seems like you are just making up things to complain about.

I don't think the marketing has trouble knowing what the market wants or whatever he was talking about. I think Sessler just doesn't get the market anymore. The PS NGP is going to be a great device. Whether it sells well depends on only two things, the price and whether this playstaion phone they're making takes away from the sales of the NGP. I myself don't think I will be getting both the PS phone and PS NGP if both devices are pretty similar.

I've heard you talk--or complain as it were--a lot about things like the name and release date, but you say NOTHING about it's technical specs, features, or applications. Perhaps, you are unaware of these things. When I hear it's going to have a quad-core processor, 1 gb of ram, is made by google, can play PS3 games and movies, I get excited. This thing is going to be a powerful little $%^& that can do way more than the 3DS!

Posted: February 27, 2011 9:05 PM
    estaples
  • Djangorabbit

YAY! I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY KINGDOM HEARTS ON THE NGP (PSP2)!

Posted: February 21, 2011 11:48 PM
    Djangorabbit
  • anibaldonut22

i just hope it somehow supports ps2 games

Posted: February 13, 2011 11:06 PM
  • critterforhire

Damn Adam, you were my last vestige of hope in the G4 world for a fair and unbiased opinion, and with this soapbox, you totally crushed the paradigm. Very disappointed.....

Posted: February 8, 2011 5:33 PM
    critterforhire
  • mikebabcock

There's nothing wrong with announcing a pre-release product. GM did it with the Volt and got equally criticized years ago. And if you don't understand what the PSP2's games are about, you're not paying attention. These are not the same games as on the PS3, they're the same franchises. Some developers have said they'd like to develop the same game on both platforms, but thats hardly relevant to the purpose of the platform -- portable high-performance gaming.

Mario exists on both the Wii and the DS, but that's not a problem for anyone here is it? Resistance will be on both Sony's livingroom and portable consoles as well, and no problem there either. Why would you even care?

Posted: February 7, 2011 9:13 AM
    mikebabcock
  • kennyamr

I'm sorry Adam but you have not idea of what are you talking about.
    I think you just like Xbox and Microsoft because they are American companies and not from Japan.
    You tried to say that during one interview once, I still remember...
    So please, if you don't like Sony for this reason of for any other, just be polite and don't say anything.
    PlayStation fans are many, and you are loosing a lot of them because of your comments, G4 won't accept to lose viewers like me.
    Sincerely,

Kenny Montenegro.

Posted: February 7, 2011 7:07 AM
  • 1979WarMachine

I think SONY does need to refresh their marketing department. It seems to me they hope lightning strikes a third time like it did during the Sega Saturn/PS1 and Sega Dreamcast/PS2 days. That has been the only time when announcing their system after their competitors has paid off (with the help of SEGA and their poor choices) and what eventually drove Sega out of producing game systems and focus on software. With Nintendo having a strong fan base with their handhelds/casual market and Microsoft being ahead with online gaming, Sony needs to learn from their mistakes and come out strong with this new NPG. I think they are on the right track with what looks to be an easier interface and features. Now they just need to have the games at launch to make this system a must buy.

Posted: February 3, 2011 12:21 AM
    1979WarMachine
  • TraumaHunter

Heres the thing about natal though, In the first press conference they said they were only temporarily calling it natal very specifically. As for the psp2/ngp/whatever vs the 3ds, I feel they are appealing to slightly different markets. Nintendo has thrived off of its gimmick quick sell DS games "Imagine: be a doctor, shrek 8, farmtown" in addition to heavy hitters that much like call of duty you can throw a name on there and its a hit - Mario, Donkey Kong, Wario, pokemon, need i go on? PS doesnt have the huge dedicated fan base games like this. It has many that are imported from their PS console counter-parts like God of War, Metal gear solid, and Tom Clancy games. PSP thrives on the "a game archetype i know and love when ever, where ever." Square games might as well make up for/be compared to the gimmick games on the DS. So this leaves you with 2 different handhelds aiming for 2 different markets. If PS wants to make a breach in the market they need more exclusives like Adam said. The phrase: "You do what you always do, You'll get what you always got" works extremely well in this situation. The technological advances wont make it a huge buying point. its like buying movies and games in stereoscopic 3D - its comparable to a fad more so than a market changing technology. I dont see having touch interface on the bottom of the handheld "game breaking" technology that is going to influence my decision on buying a game... Thus they are left with the only room for growth being in creating a handheld exclusive franchise. Compare it to Square making a game that IS NOT an RPG that would actually make USE of the dual sticks. They need to pump out shooters and games that make USE of the dual sticks. THAT is their game breaking technological advancement in this market. They need to milk it - a new franchise would be a great way to do it. Think of it as making a comparison of Red Steel for the Wii. It (attempted) to make use of the exclusive technology (at the time) of the wii and start a franchise. Do something like this and try to be successful with it.

Posted: February 2, 2011 6:02 PM
  • marcusdjackson

revolution v Wii. and don't tell me its not the same concept cause it is. adam is getting worse. lossing respect.

Posted: February 2, 2011 1:13 PM
  • octavalgenie

Ok,

Adam I think you have some very valid points. I believe that the whole hype thing that happened in japan and not really pushing in american markets may very well be a mistake. I am just going to be honest and say that the PSP for me was nothing but one disappointment after another. I remember being excited for the release and saying that I gotta have that and then having it and having to wade through so much garbage just to get a good title. Now that being said, I also have had some great experiences on the PSP. But the constant disappointment that I had with the system makes me very hesitant to purchase another portable sony product. I am leaning toward a 3Ds, knowing that the tech will be different and the graphics of a lower quality. I want one because it looks like fun. For me the NGP just does not look like a good time at this point. Like the PSP, great piece of gaming equipment that just does not live up to the fun factor that I expected from it. For me the NGP is a maybe at best.

Posted: February 2, 2011 12:44 PM
    octavalgenie
  • eaglefan129

Why don't we just wait to E3 2011 before we make assumptions about the "NGP" If it is coming out in Holiday 2011 everywhere then that is where we should get most of our answeres and hopefully a "name" which i don't care about all i care about is the technology behind the system and of course its games which if you don't already know as a pretty big lineup when compared to the 3ds in my mind.

Posted: February 2, 2011 7:28 AM
    eaglefan129
  • dagger1014

I think it's nice that they are pumping the NGP full of fancy equipment and all. If they want to compete with the 3DS, however, they need to have a game library that can hold its own.

Posted: February 2, 2011 6:54 AM
    dagger1014
  • Spybreak

I was excited for both handhelds but the 3DS launch games have been pushed back to "launch window" and I'm not to thrilled about the battery life. The PSP2 has no price point at the moment and it feels like they're going to be expensive with all the added bells and whistles (will people just use the playstation suite instead/since it'll be way cheaper). I'd love to finally play some PS3 games I want to play like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Little Big Planet, for a few examples, but in the end the system that has the games I want will win out. I'm still leaning towards the 3DS mainly due to the nostalgic factor in my case, (Orcarina of Time, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Paper Mario and RE:R).

Posted: February 2, 2011 12:43 AM
    Spybreak
  • tarc

in my opinion i think what it comes down to is how sony is going to market this new product and what type of consumer they will try to appeal to the most. hopefully sony and the third-party developers will be able to bring out the full potential for this new product. otherwise it would be as if you go and spend $5,000+ to build a fully tricked out, top of the line computer only to watch youtube vids on it. another thing sony should think about is whether or not the ngp should be backwards compatible with old psp games that their customers may want to play on their new handheld, that right there can be the make or break deal.

Posted: February 2, 2011 12:36 AM