Fresh Ink Online: Fantastic 4, G.I. Joe, Northlanders

Posted: January 28, 2011
Fresh Ink Online: Fantastic 4, G.I. Joe, Northlanders
Fresh Ink Online's Blair Butler reviews Fantastic 4, G.I. Joe: Cobra, New York Five, Northlanders: The Girl In The Ice, Scarlet, Detective Comics, and Locke & Key.

• worm2790

Hi, Blair

I am a U.C. Berkeley student and am hoping to do my senior thesis on Golden Age comic book writers. But I do not know where to start. Can you provide any preliminary readings?

Posted: February 1, 2011 5:59 PM
    worm2790
  • ilovefreshink

I have to say this event got me interested on the FF. I manage to grab a pair of omnibuses from the Stan Lee / Jack Kirby days and I cant wait to see Hickmans run collected so I can buy it too.

Dying torches aside, I got myself that New York 5 issue just because I like to read "different" stuff. Scarlet is on my reading list (Im catching up to it just waiting for the 1st issue to arrive).

There are plenty of interesting things going on atm, some awesome limited series and what not. I still wish Blair checked out 27 by Image.

Posted: January 30, 2011 6:10 PM
    ilovefreshink
  • Skools12

@BigAngryRobot
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reading the final pages and for a moment I though that was what he was going to do after he went "Flame on!" and said it was a one-against-a-billion fight,but sadly he didn't:( I can only speculate why Marvel didn't let that happen :
    1) One the wanted it to really seem like Torch's last stand ( you know the wanted to make sure he really looked dead and done for)
    2) Maybe since his back was against the wall and (more importantly the portal) he didn't want to prematurely detonante his SuperNova and let the immense energy leak into the lab and hurt anyone (i.e.the reason they didn't use the Atom Bomb plan)

For my money I say the idea behind this is more about the first one, seeing as Marvel always enjoys dramatic finishes and also like someone else sadi in an earlier comment we never really saw him die. even though he was overcome the portal view closed before we actually saw his death. Maybe he goes supernova soon after that. (Which I really hope for because I am big fan of the Torch)

P.S. the person who made the comment about us not actually seeing the death was Vinzter (Just making sure that I gave credit where credit was due)

Posted: January 30, 2011 3:00 PM
    Skools12
  • longbowhunter

The art in New York Five looks terrific. Too bad I couldnt care less about girls talking or New York.

Posted: January 30, 2011 8:28 AM
    longbowhunter
  • BigAngryRobot

Not exactly sure why Johnny didn't go nova against the horde. I mean, if there's one time he could let loose and incinerate everything, that was it.

Posted: January 30, 2011 3:11 AM
    BigAngryRobot
  • JNewcomb

You're doing great work Blair! Always funny, entertaining and insightful. :)

Are you reading Twilight Guardian? It's a very unique superhero story about a woman superhero who wears pants! One of my favorites. Give it a try!

Posted: January 29, 2011 7:12 AM
  • hostile17

Damn for a second there when she was holding the bag at the end and said she was going to polybag her head, I thought she was really going to do it. That would have made my week.

Posted: January 29, 2011 12:06 AM
  • mutant_pie

Bye Johnny Storm. That's o.k.. Marvel can replace you with Herbie, the lovable robot, just like they did in the 1970's cartoon show to keep kids from lighting themselves on fire and jumping off their roofs yelling "flame on!" in emulation.

Posted: January 28, 2011 8:31 PM
    mutant_pie
  • JoshuaCorning

If it was up to me i would give more spoilers.

to be honest i am not a consumer of comics anymore. If you or comics alliance did not tell me about them or what happens in them i would never know.

you may think, "well who gives a crap about Joshua...he doesn't support (ie give money) to my favorite art form in the world so why should i listen to him"

this may be true. But what is also true is that without you and comic alliance telling me spoilers and other info the likely hood of me consuming comics and spending money is even less.

Anyway to honor your spoilers and how much i love them i will now go out and buy (if my local shop has a copy) the latest action comic with the Joker/Lex "bottle" episode. this will be the first comic i have purchased in years.

Posted: January 28, 2011 5:50 PM
    JoshuaCorning
  • Hyphnip

Least essential? I'd agree if you said the book could continue without him, but Thing is less essential than the Torch.
    That said, go back and read the the Onslaught crossover from 1996, Torch always struck me as a part of the big league because of that story.

Posted: January 28, 2011 3:47 PM
    Hyphnip
  • Vinzter

Re: FF

Good issue, yes, but we don't even see the Torch actually DIE, which I feel is a bit of a cheat.

Sure, he gets overrun, but I'm sure Annihilus had some last minute "WAIT, I can use this guy as a hostage/power source/future bargaining chip/fill-in-your-own-explanat ion-here" thought before killing him.

Posted: January 28, 2011 2:16 PM