Sessler's Soapbox: 3DS - An Uphill Battle

Posted: January 25, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: 3DS - An Uphill Battle
Adam sits down to express his reservations and concerns about the marketability of the Nintendo 3DS.

• ArrenKae

The DS is the best selling console overall. Adding 3d to it's a cheap gimmick like motion controls for the Gamecube (which made the wii the best-selling, least-played console, imitated by M$ Kinect and Sony's Move). It'll sell extremely well.

Posted: March 2, 2011 2:22 PM
    ArrenKae
  • Plugg

While I am a little off put by the $250 price tag. I am still going to buy it. I am hoping they might include some "points" for the Virtual Console store on the system, or some pre-installed apps. or games but, if they don't, meh.

I mean not only do you get the system, but you get the charging dock for the system to rest on, six AR cards for [hopefully] future augmenting reality games similar to Eye Pet and Invizimals for the PSP, a 2gig SD card, and the stylus the system has is nice. I mean, just in my opinion those are some pretty cool bundled items.

I don't feel that everything is 100% worth a 250 dollar price tag but I look at it like this. It's a 3D TV that fits in your pocket. And I know people keep saying that you can't look at it for too long but you can't even do that with a regular 3D TV. I don't know about anyone else but I get head aches and eye pain after about an hour to an hour and a half just going to the movies for 2 hours for a 3D movie or watching one on my friend's 3D TV. 3D is not a perfect technology yet. Also look at it like this. Just the glasses for a regular 3D TV for the home can cost upwards of $150 a pair and this system doesn't need glasses which is a plus. I mean I look at all that plus the games that are set for June for the system and I really think I can get over the extra 50 bucks more than I was planning to pay.

Posted: February 19, 2011 2:56 PM
    Plugg
  • Plugg

Posted: February 19, 2011 2:55 PM
    Plugg
  • vitXras

your paying for a 3d gaming, 3d picture taking, 3d movie playing, 300-400 dollar device for 250. its worth it. plus kingdom hearts dream drop distance, zelda 3d and much much more. even more worth it.

Posted: February 10, 2011 4:37 PM
    vitXras
  • JoshuaManriguez199

if it records as well has plays video it's worth 249.99 USD I mean just enough that it has 3d you know the same type that star wars fans said we could have and were laughed at about what maybe 15-20 years ago. not to mention that if you have the ds,dsi,&dsixl you sell those three to gamestop and your 3ds is pretty much paid for if you kept your nintendo handhelds like that i believe the 3ds will dominate the handheld game market no doubt if its only competition is the new psp

Posted: February 8, 2011 1:41 AM
  • JohnJohnstoneV

What is the space shooter game playing in the background?

Posted: February 3, 2011 7:02 PM
  • FLIPPER!!

was anyone else half paying attention to what he was saying because they were watching pixel junk shooter in the backround?

Posted: February 3, 2011 11:00 AM
  • trunksisthebest

continuing countdown:54 more days

Posted: February 1, 2011 6:11 AM
  • xelar001

want it, but will wait for the holiday bundle.

Posted: January 31, 2011 1:30 PM
    xelar001
  • youconduit

day one.

Posted: January 31, 2011 11:53 AM
    youconduit
  • trunksisthebest

got a nice fresh cut who wanna chill??

Posted: January 31, 2011 10:33 AM
  • FreshTerds

ngp over ds anyday. DUAL ANALOG STICKS!? dealmaker.

Posted: January 31, 2011 8:53 AM
    FreshTerds
  • Gunwing

Honestly while I hate Sony the NGP is a better looking, and more powerfull gaming device.......... As well there is always alot of rehash of games from the o0lder days, and any new titles are from Nintendo........ Time will tell wait and see.

Posted: January 31, 2011 7:05 AM
    Gunwing
  • trunksisthebest

continuing countdown:55 more days

Posted: January 30, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Jaiitup

yeah, my Wii has been collecting dust for two years now

Posted: January 30, 2011 7:44 PM
    Jaiitup
  • DroidCLH

yeah, PSP NGP. Nuff said

Posted: January 30, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Fuhzimota70

Hmmm... as both an avid gamer, and a"first-gen" gamer (read - middle-aged), I have been a Nintendo fan for a very long time. I'm intrigued by the possibilities of 3D applications in games, and I am excited by the prospect of the 3DS. On the other hand, as a husband and father to a full family of gamers, I have to question the price point. In my home alone, we already own 5 DS units... a hard sell on a budget, when everyone in the home is interested in a 249.99 unit. I can't swallow the idea of spending over 1,200.00 on systems for everybody, yet still not have Ocarina or any of the big N's heavy hitters present (And no, I'm not particularly fond of Kid Icarus). And for both my wife and eldest daughter (Zelda die-hards, both)this is a major hindrance to buying.

I have no doubts that it will sell well, but I have to agree with the Sess... Nintendo should have done more to make the 3DS stand apart from its predecessor with a different name. A redesign of the housing may have helped as well - casual consumers (non-gaming parental units) will be hard to sell on the idea of plunking down 249.99 on a system that to them will "look just like the 129.99 DS."

But I digress.

As I comtemplate the '11 holiday season, devoid of any new goodness for my XBOX 360 library as a result of 3DS fiscal strain, I do hope that Nintendo keeps Sony's PS3 price point woes in mind...

Posted: January 30, 2011 3:17 PM
    Fuhzimota70
  • vitXras

ocarina of time and kingdom hearts dream drop distance look amazing

Posted: January 30, 2011 10:54 AM
    vitXras
  • XxCraftyxX

I couldnt agree more by the way the N64 emulator is already working on Android market place as well as the Playstation emulator you can see video's on youtube of people playing marvel vs capcom on their phone. Nintendo providing a game as a launch title that is a readily available hour long download onto your 4G phone is another example of them aiming their sites too low. I remember what the NES stood for. They seem to have forgotten though. Instead of providing all around entertainment that meets or excedes the market they give us a system that costs more then most smart phones and has way fewer games and no internet...I can get a nes,gameboy,snes,playstation and n64 and most of their best games with about 6 free downloads from the android market not to mention free MMO's and games like Angry Birds....so what the heck would I buy this crap for?

Posted: January 30, 2011 12:29 AM
    XxCraftyxX
  • Crillan

That can be said any time a new console comes out. So you're sticking with your current console forever eh?

Posted: January 29, 2011 10:03 PM