Sessler's Soapbox: How Adam Got Into Video Games

Posted: January 11, 2011
Sessler's Soapbox: How Adam Got Into Video Games
Adam celebrates the release of his favorite game of all time, Ghosts n' Goblins, on the Wii Virtual Console.

• Contraryship331

I started by playing goldeneye 007 on the n64

Posted: June 24, 2012 1:07 AM
    Contraryship331
  • Mr.MojoRisin

It feels so good that there is somebody older and very articulate that likes games, as a kid your always made feel stupid because you like video games. And I'm sure people all over the world have had experiences like this that made you love something, it could be either books, movies, comics, cars, airplanes, photography, it can even be sex related. The point is you should do what you love that is the secret to happiness, no matter what anybody says or how crushing and soulless there comments are you just got to keep going until you're doing what you love, it can even be something illegal, and I'm not saying you should do illegal stuff, please don't do illegal stuff, at some point you gotta realize that if you love it enough its worth the risk. Mr. Sessler is living proof of that; even if you might feel alone right now you will find people with the same interests and values as you; but you gotta first fight thru ridicule, envy, and just plain A-Holes. You got to realize the world is a harsh cold place; that's because life is full of krappy people. So you got to hold on to what matters , what makes you smile, what makes you be creative, what makes you feel alive. I promise you if you work really hard and treat people nicely amazing things will happen, you will find love and happiness. You only live once make it a fun ride.

Posted: April 18, 2011 3:56 PM
    Mr.MojoRisin
  • LouisAnderson

Nice blog. Thanks you.

Posted: March 25, 2011 4:45 AM
    LouisAnderson
  • Cyborger

It's hard to pinpoint what exactly got me into gaming. My family has always been a family of gamers even if not everyone was good at them. I remember playing Mario games but the first game I spent hours on and finally beat was Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES. After that I was a casual gamer until I played Crash Bandicoot for the first time and that's when my "hardcore" era began.

Posted: February 21, 2011 8:04 PM
    Cyborger
  • theultimatenoob

I remember the Soapbox in which Adam gives a graduation speech and tells this same story. Good story.

My intro to gaming was Super Smash Bros. on the good ol' N64.

Posted: January 27, 2011 4:36 PM
    theultimatenoob
  • Museum

ADAM - Love your story. Im a bit older as a gamer and I managed 3 arcades many years ago and made sure I had Ghosts N Goblins next to my office so I could play all I wanted. It is a hard game and through repetition I was able to finish the game on a regular basis. Watching the screen behind you made my hands start moving in the patterns I had developed to get through the levels. I guess I will never forget how to move though the game quick.

I started gaming when arcade games were on black and white screens and had to use a transparent overlay to give any color and home computer games were on casettets to slowly be loaded on a green screen. In one of the Jaws movies from the 70's you see kids at an arcade playing a shark killing game. Thats where I started. I too would play at a bowling alley and remember one game where you drove a car over fleeing people and they turned into crosses. Freakin good times.

It was great managing arcades at their peak and have tons of funny stories like the time a kid crawled into the back of a game to hide until after we closed so he could play all night. Too bad he didnt know I shut the breakers off every night and locked that door.

Today I have a house and family and own every console including my original Atari 2600 and six XBox 360's. I still have faded color pictures I took of the TV screen to show proof of a high score so I could send in to Activision and get a patch related to that game. I play most every day and will do so as long as I can.

BTW, my favorite game was the rare 3 player Sega Gain Ground upright.

Thanks

Posted: January 27, 2011 8:11 AM
    Museum
  • DavidinCT

Come on, I guess because I am still a hardcore gamer from way back, I had an Atari 2600 (5200, 7800 and more) with about 3-4 games when I started in gaming, Space invaders, Air Sea battle and Kaboom (still a great game today).

I was also a big fan of Ghosts n' Goblins playing on the Sega Genesis, was a epic game (and a very stressful one) for it's day.

Now I own a gaming PC, 360, PS3 (just broke, need a new one), Wii, PSP, DS. So I can get any game for any system (also get the better versions of the games).

Yes, a junkie....X-play, got a job for me ?????

Posted: January 21, 2011 1:04 AM
    DavidinCT
  • Shadowz596

The original super Mario kart for the snes and duck hunt.

Posted: January 19, 2011 6:17 AM
    Shadowz596
  • BooMorpheus

Medal of honor: allied assult

Posted: January 18, 2011 7:12 AM
    BooMorpheus
  • Athtsak

Yup,
    that about sums it up, I know exactly what you felt. For me it was this game at the video store on my route from school to home. "Gauntlet" was the name, I used to save my allowance of the week (5$) no candies, no toys, no games, no nothing only saving for the "Gauntlet" game. I was the Elf, I would save 2-3 weeks and show up with a roll of quarters. I would get home like 3-4 hours late, my mom would get mad on how late I was, I would tell here I got detention and for some reason she would get less mad for detention that if I told her that i was playing video-games... go figure.

Then, I got a bit older and after the atari system died, I saw an ad for the NES, the regular one, long story short, my dad got it for my sister and I, it came with Duck Hunt and MarioBros. No memory card, so I would turn off the tv and got to school and continue later. Till one day my dad tried to play. This man was in the Greek Army, ground trooper, he discovered Duck Hunt, this man had the tv by the wall and all the wires to there fullest extension, The gun controller was fully extended as well, he was clear across the room and he would get the high score all the time. I would sit 1-2 feet from the screen and could not even get on the board.

Good times...

Posted: January 17, 2011 7:21 PM
    Athtsak
  • Heroin_of_Hyrule

This is somewhat complicated to answer if your like me, and you have several because of the different consoles thoughout the years. I've had and played several different consoles since the NES. Part of the advantage of having older siblings. I remember watching my older brothers playing the NES with the Gold Game Legend of Zelda. And was told that when said brothers wanted to shut me up they'd let me play. Though I was very young and didn't really understand it, a love began. And to this day I still play it.(On the same NES too.)But the times they did change as did the consoles and games did too. Then new loves started with the Final Fantasty, Chrono Trigger and others. As for the newer consoles I'd have to be Mass Effect series.
    But the love for all that is Zelda is always there. And N64s Occerina of Time is a very close tie. And I could go on about all the others. There is no question about it, my favorite game of all time is Legend of Zelda.

Posted: January 17, 2011 9:34 AM
    Heroin_of_Hyrule
  • Demonslayer8302

I remember my first favorite games super mario bros, zelda and metroid, also I remember getting a sega master system for christmas of 89 i was six years old probably the best games on that were alex kid in miracle world, the ninja, and black belt.

Posted: January 17, 2011 6:32 AM
  • kings_legacy

Hearing lots of games but Super Mario Bros for nes. The game the totally blew my mind was Super Mario Bro 3,with all the best suits of all time into one game which still stands today

Posted: January 14, 2011 12:19 PM
    kings_legacy
  • G4Punisher1

I completely forgot about the screw job ending to that game. Yea... thats pretty bad. It's like the old RPG games with multiple endings. You put 80 hours into them and get a crap ending because you forgot to do something 60 hours ago.

Posted: January 14, 2011 10:46 AM
  • ArrenKae

Either videogames did it or tricking his friends parents so he could save a quarter was in his blood.

Posted: January 14, 2011 10:18 AM
    ArrenKae
  • Gamemaster95

@Atari_Prime Maybe he was younger, I got into games because of sequals too, on the snes.(I'm eighteen now, just an FYI)

Posted: January 12, 2011 5:17 PM
    Gamemaster95
  • Scorch6969

Even though I am 24, back in the late 80's, my parents picked up a ColecoVision, Atari 2600, Intellivision and NES from a yard sale for extremely cheap at the time. These games started my interest in gaming at a very young age. It wasn't until Banjo-Kazooie ironically that I feel in love with a game so in-depth that I had to take it from my friends room play it for a few days and bring it back without him noticing. So much for that secret now if he reads this lol.

Posted: January 12, 2011 3:36 PM
    Scorch6969
  • Rankshot

Link's Awakening DX for GBC,and I think Super Mario World is what got me into gaming.

Posted: January 12, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Tidusjunior

I got in by playing zelda on the nes and mario brothers plus duck hunt and joust and etc but the two majors one were zelda and mario.

Posted: January 12, 2011 2:32 PM