Talkabouts: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Posted: December 17, 2010
Talkabouts: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
Join Casey Schreiner and Leah Jackson as they talkbout the biggest MMO game in history, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

• tidus10

Leah, your super cute but this vblog was super lame. Casey did a good job in hes interview asking some good questions but Leah wasnt that good answering them. I do agree with her 5/5 rating & some of the things she mention.

Posted: January 9, 2011 5:03 PM
    tidus10
  • Helghastix

I really just sat on my butt for 15 minutes to hear her rant about how "awesome" WoW is now. Honestly? From someone that has played this game since vanilla, I am fairly disappointed with the outcome of how WoW is now compared to back then. Back when I leveled 1-60, the game had an actual challenge to it, such as when you did quests. When I did quests I had no stupid "hold your hand" guide to get my quests done, heck no. I searched for whatever the hell I needed and then went back to the quest giver.

When it comes to how the PvP system is now, I was very excited to see that they would bring the rated battlegrounds into the game sort of like how the vanilla honor system was. Honestly I liked the old system WAY better then it is now. There was a real challenge in trying to get your ranking from grunt to High Warlord (I play Horde) Now its just get your rating up to 2400 and you have the High Warlord title. Really? To me that just seems simple and idiotic.

Now when it comes to the dungeons in Cataclysm, sure I love the new dungeons and the boss fights, but with the heroics, there just a pain in the A. You wait 30-40 minutes if your DPS and for what? A group that you don't know and have hopes of getting to the end for your valor points? One of the only things I slightly agree with her is the fact that professions take forever and take a lot of time and gold out of you. Sure, if they made a new method of leveling professions in a more "fun" way, I wouldnt so much mind that. Although when it comes to Archaeology, this is one of the most drawn-out professions you will ever endure. I got to about 266 now and all it is is, fly around, go to dig site, survery 3 spots, on to next dig site, solve artifact after about 20-100 artifacts were found. I bore myself so badly with this I don't even know why I level this crap just to get a few epics and blues.

Finally, with her saying Star Wars is too nerdy? I will bring all 6 movies with me, find her house, strap her to a chair and force her to watch all 6 and wait for her to tell me again that Star Wars is "too nerdy" That's a crock of crap

Posted: January 1, 2011 2:04 AM
    Helghastix
  • Kieran101

WoW need to go free D:

Posted: December 28, 2010 12:20 PM
  • ZombieEater73

Wow, Leah. Spoken like a true fan-boy (or girl if you will). The comparison to SW:TOR was so off-base. Go take a look on their forums and see how many people that have quit WoW that are waiting for that game or just riding out WoW till TOR finally releases happen to post there. Is it even approaching half of wow's numbers? Of course not, but it's substantial enough. Now if BW somehow manages to screw the pooch (rather unlikely of that) of course WoW will keep on trucking unphased as people migrate back or wait for GW2.
    However the comments that "Star wars is single-player focused and super nerdy" just shows how wrapped up in WoW you are. You're just about the only person on the net that isn't remarking on the fact that how it's TOO MUCH like Wow. There will be dungeons (flashpoints as they are officially called) and raids, just like there's instanced pvp zones. Last time I looked the vast majority of WoW players -myself included - did the majority of their leveling solo, stopping to periodically to run an instance here and there before capping. Hell I've known dozens in WoW that skip the dungeons completely as they head to cap. So your ignorance in that statement is only matched by the hipocrisy of someone that loves WoW calling Star Wars "nerdy".
    I guess G4 has to have at least one dumb broad working there, and you must be her.

Posted: December 27, 2010 2:27 PM
    ZombieEater73
  • Sarge020202

@DrowNoble

(Sorry for the wall of text everyone)

I really don't understand why you were so underwhelmed with Cataclysm. You seem to forget that the Shattering -the patch the blew up the world- was part of Cataclysm but Blizzard decided to give it to the players 2 weeks early for a number of reasons. One being that it let the players test out and find bugs which allowed them to focus solely on the bugs in new zones and dungeons when the release hit. Another being that it gave the players something to do before the Dec 7th release date. Remember, nothing really exciting had happened in the game since patch 3.0, almost 1 year prior.

So for $40 dollars you actually get 8 new areas Twilight Highlands, Uldum, Deepholm, Mount Hyjal, Vashj'ir, Gilneas, The Lost Isles, and Kezan. Further, there are far more than a mere several instances released with Cataclysm. You actually have 13 new instances. 7 Being 5 Man dungeons, Black Rock Caverns, Grim Batol, Halls of Origination, The Stone Core, Throne of the Tides, Vortex Pinnacle, Lost City of the Tolvir, Heroic Deadmines and Heroic Shadowfang Keep (these last two dungeons featuring completley new bosses and trash) and 4 Being 10-25 man raiding dungeons, Baradin Hold, Blackwing Descent, Bastion of Twilight, and Throne of the Four Winds.

You also seem to think Blizzard has spent less time Geographically on Cataclysm, and they haven't. They heavily reconstructed almost every old zone in Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, and completely reconstructed the entire questing experience from 1-60 adding literally thousands of new, improved and exciting quests. They also added the 5 new, and gargantuan zones, filled hundred upon hundreds of new quests in and of themselves.

Further, you mention something about "no new classes, again" when only last expansion they added the Death Knight class. You seem to forget that it takes an exuberant amount of time to balance and create a new class, something that isn't feasible every expansion, especially at the pace at which Blizzard is trying to role out all their new content. This expansion they added two new races. Last expansion a new class. The one before that two new races. See the pattern? And the new race, class combination most would argue are an amazing addition to the game. It lets people play the way they want to play which is what the aim of the game is about.

You also forgot to mention blizzard has added a new proffesion, archeology which adds an extreemly large emergance factor into the game by having players actually experiance the old world in ways they wouldn't normally. It also lets the player learn more about the races of the Warcraft universe through lore, which is interesting to many players who seek to imerese themselves further in the game.

And if that wasn't enough Blizzard has polished up and added many tools that improve player interactions with one another. Dungeon and group finder improvements come to mind here. AI They've also upgraded the overall polygon count in their character models, and revamped of the entire water graphics engine, to name only a few improvements.

So I'm not sure how you can't really see how this IS their biggest expansion, by far. There are so many new things to explore and do and it seems the only thing that actually limited you from having a good time was your attitude toward the game.

Posted: December 27, 2010 2:09 PM
    Sarge020202
  • guyapollo

Pallies nufed? Bliz is in love with pallies, they've been OP for so long, they finally nerfed them down to what resembled the rest of the classes. I play a war, now you know how I feel EVER PATCH.
    Where bliz is going? Look at the story, The Burning Legion must fall/

Posted: December 24, 2010 2:17 AM
    guyapollo
  • ChuckW

"Star Wars is nerdy."

G4tv writers should officially stop throwing stones from glass houses.

All kidding aside, I've always related better to Sci-Fi than fantasy. After all, it's a subjective thing. It's not really a battle of which is better. I think SWTOR will occupy its own market, so a comparison or "killer"statement is irrelevant. Bioware and Blizzard are thinking about an MMORPG's on two completely different levels. I think Bioware is placing equal emphasis on solo and multiplayer content and will most likely embrace both styles. I understand Leah is obviously a big Wow "nerd", but she should definitely give SWTOR another look. Civilly: Harsh words are harder to swallow.

Posted: December 22, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Tahk0

SEX BOB-OMB!!!

Posted: December 22, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Zaknafien

Ugh wow fanboys and girls..... FFxi > WoW!

Posted: December 21, 2010 5:06 PM
    Zaknafien
  • kings_legacy

Im thinking your underestimating how popular Star Wars is. Every game has a killer out there somewhere like when people didn't think Everquest could be beaten by WoW. Star Wars can be just that, a know some hardcore WoW players leaving for that, yes casual players and people who don't even play MMOs will be trying because of it is Star Wars.

It may or may not but it does have a strong possibility of being that and saying that it doesn't is a huge overestimation.

Posted: December 21, 2010 9:58 AM
    kings_legacy
  • ShdwFox

I don't quite get the nerd comment either. In fact, if you saw the Cataclysm launch event video with Leah in it; you would be even more perplexed. Their is a girl dressed up like a goblin and people doing the race-specific-dances on a stage for pete-sakes. I mean really, how can she actually say that comment with a straight face after witnessing that event first hand?

Posted: December 21, 2010 5:02 AM
    ShdwFox
  • aws41109

I think the biggest complaint is the Jobs... I wish the jobs would have more interesting quests and minigames. I feel like (especially for passive) you are trucking back and forth between cities to find items and money to upgrade your levels...

Posted: December 20, 2010 9:22 PM
    aws41109
  • crocodilius

and to the drug comments...i dont want to speculate but there is something...off...about Leah in this video..

Posted: December 20, 2010 5:01 PM
    crocodilius
  • crocodilius

I'm sick of people trying to have an opinion of Warcraft that have never played Warcraft...
    what a f%cking headache you people give me

Posted: December 20, 2010 4:58 PM
    crocodilius
  • frozenbolt67

thumbs up if u think leah is a stoner.

Posted: December 20, 2010 3:04 PM
    frozenbolt67
  • DrowNoble

Cataclysm was terribly disappointing. I'm talking about the expansion, not The Shattering, which was was the patch that "blew up" Azeroth. For $40 we got 4 new areas, several instances and 2 races, that's it. While BC was smaller (geographically speaking) than vanilla, Wrath was smaller than BC and Cats is smaller yet.

No new classes, again, is also rather disappointing. I personally, do not care about gnome priests or tauren paladins. WoW NEEDS new classes. Considering the new race starter zones only takes about 2-3 hours to complete, there isn't much there. Not sure how Blizzard thinks this is their "biggest" expansion when it's actually their smallest.

So I came back to see the world changes and check out the expansion. Cancelled already, I'll finish out the month then wait for The Old Republic.

Posted: December 20, 2010 2:04 PM
    DrowNoble
  • Luck702

Theres no way il ever pay monthly fees to play a game. No matter how good it is, i dont have the money or the willpower to give ungodly amounts of money to a developer that really doesnt need anymore. I love blizzard and starcraft, but if they turned that into a pay to play system, i wouldnt play it either

Posted: December 20, 2010 1:58 PM
    Luck702
  • Nevaehh

...did people actually think that was good? She's just terrible.

Posted: December 20, 2010 12:36 PM
    Nevaehh
  • frankurban

I'm sure more people can relate with Star Wars than with WoW. So that comment was a little ignorant.

Saying that The Old Republic will attract more casual players is probably true, but saying that Star Wars is super nerdy implies that you think WoW isn't.

Which clearly is not true. (I'm not talking about the quality of the game, but if one is nerdy, then the other is just as nerdy)

Posted: December 20, 2010 12:27 PM
    frankurban
  • altizar

I actually don't like the questing now. Yeah it's easy but the problem I have with it is that you have like 10-15 minutes in 1 part of the zone and then bam you are done with that area forever. They need to do more layering of the quests so that you hit this area for it's quest chain, then later on you have another set of quests that come-back to the area. Maybe even "epic" quests that you have to really explore, move, and dig. Most of the zone don't really stick out. I loved Darkshore before, new every nook and cranny of it from running all over it. But now you just breeze through it top to bottom, and you'll never really remember it down the road.

Posted: December 20, 2010 11:25 AM