X-Play's 2010 Game of the Year

Posted: December 14, 2010
X-Play's 2010 Game of the Year
X-Play presents the Best of 2010 Award for Game of the Year. The nominees are - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Disney Epic Mickey, Mass Effect 2, NBA 2K11, Red Dead Redemption, and StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.

• as278874@sju.edu

Why wasnt Halo Reach even nominated for Best Game of 2010?

Posted: May 6, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Pool_Hall_God

Wow such a crappy graphic Ps2 looking game to win. I could think of alot of other game's for $60 to buy.....by the way get out of your basement (Voter's)...

Posted: December 28, 2010 8:21 PM
    Pool_Hall_God
  • dynamicmaxwell

Isn't it obvious SC2 was not going to win? PC games are always under represented. Even if SC2 could win votes by a landslide, a PC game will never win. Even when a game is multi-platform (e.g. Dragon Age), the PC version never gets mention and carries the same rating as it's inferior console port. Regardless if the fans came and voted for it. Those fans are dedicated and for sure has a great community. Congrats to Bioware because ME2 was AWESOME! Can't wait for ME3.

Posted: December 21, 2010 5:57 PM
  • cod4Sniper

EPIC FAIL!!! Honetly, this is a decent game, but my opinion never would have chosen this for GOTY. First, i wanna get to the nominees;
    How are two of the years best games not nominated, Cod:BO(just the most popularly relesed game ever) and Reach, a game that was praised so highly by the xplay staff in the reveiw of it. How did NBA Live make it in there, I mean come on now. Sports games have no right to be compared with the other nominees. Epic Mickey is fine being in there cuz it looks incredible, but NBA has no right to be here. At least put something like Reach in there to make it look acceptable.
    Now on to the GOTY award:
    Mass Effect 2 is a decent game, played it for a little while, just couldnt get into it, dont see what all the hype is about. I thought Call of Black Ops blew it out of the water(even tho Black Ops will never be as good as MW or MW2) as well as with Reach, a far superior game. Much better multiplayer in both, the story in ME2 was meh, but i loved Reachs and thot Black Ops was good too and got better near the ending. Plus, Reach and Call of Duty are far more popluar games, that should be taken into account when talking about the best game of the year.
    I honestly think Xplay tried to appeal to all genres when pooling the nominations, and as far game of the year, I'm done talking about it since it really doesn't mean much. Still going to watch and enjoy Xplay, even tho they made terrible decision.. Now i know some people r goin to try and reply to this, but i really don't give a crap. For me, the game of the year is either Reach of Fallout New Vegas.

Posted: December 20, 2010 9:51 AM
    cod4Sniper
  • G0DD6196

Ok The recipients of awards this year are the worst I have personally seen in my life. Limbo is not a game that should be seen as an award winner in any of the catagories shown. ME2 is a decent game but there is no catagory it beats HR or Black Ops, ME2 is not a game in which it is the best in anything, though i HATE SC even that game deserves to win GoTY over ME. I am honestly appalled at this decision and now hope that X play recieves some host that know what they are talking about (if they have chosen this years winners)

Posted: December 19, 2010 12:43 PM
    G0DD6196
  • Huge Ackman

I know a lot of this comes down to personal taste. Mass Effect 2 is a great game. Bungie's masterpiece should have at least gotten a nomination though.

Posted: December 19, 2010 12:08 PM
    Huge+Ackman
  • GrandLethal

Jolly good show, good chaps.

Posted: December 18, 2010 2:53 PM
    GrandLethal
  • Malice_Unarmed

ME2 and the franchise is utterly amazing, Bioware does good work. SC2 probably the best RTS but overall ME2 deserves the win.

Posted: December 18, 2010 12:49 PM
    Malice_Unarmed
  • panthersalldaway

Mass Effect 2 was definately my best game of 2010. For the longest time Red Dead seemed to be my favorite, until very recently when I bought ME2 to fill some time because my 360 stopped connecting to live. I mean I picked it up for 20 dollars new at Target! I've played 3 playthroughs so far and plan on giving a playthrough for every class. It's giving me hours and hours of entertainment and its keeping me hooked to my 360 without live.

Posted: December 17, 2010 8:52 PM
    panthersalldaway
  • Celidus

"I just wanted to sleep with Garrus that's all."

I guess that answers that question.

Posted: December 17, 2010 10:38 AM
    Celidus
  • HypnoToadisREAL

I really love G4 for choosing this game. I also wanted to know if ME3 will be for ps3 on launch? My comp could barley run ME2. :P

Posted: December 16, 2010 10:12 PM
    HypnoToadisREAL
  • Spybreak

Yeah def deserves it and like he said a living breathing world where you care about the characters. That statement applies for Dragon Age as well but I'm more of a sci fi fan (I play both).

Posted: December 16, 2010 3:45 PM
    Spybreak
  • kfd056

This is the biggest fail blog i have ever seen.

Get Ready again G4 fanboys, because I am saying it again.

G4 DOES IT AGAIN !

Posted: December 16, 2010 12:35 PM
    kfd056
  • Shimodi

South Park Mickey is better than Epic Mickey.

I'm guessing they had to put at least 1 Wii game on the list.

Posted: December 16, 2010 12:17 PM
    Shimodi
  • madhatter81

GG X-Play

Posted: December 15, 2010 10:12 PM
    madhatter81
  • magicwalnuts

Noooo Starcraft II deserves this award WAY more than Mass Effect 2. I love ME2, it's a great game and my favorite game of the year, but as a game Starcraft 2 is better in several key aspects.

Story: Mass Effect 2's story is way better than the vacuous excuse for a narrative that Wings of Liberty put forth. It was enjoyable for pushing the Starcraft saga further, but it really sagged in complexity compared to Brood War.

Production Values: Graphics, sound, voice work are equally impressive for both games.

Design: This is where Wings of Liberty far, far outstrips Mass Effect 2. Ultimately the action in Mass Effect 2 is a series of corridor shooting galleries, which looks awesome, but there is no depth to it. The level designs are just a series of cool set piece backdrops draped over warehouses and corridors littered with crates. Starcraft 2's single player on the other hand was masterfully crafted, only developers like Valve have really pulled off creating such a fundamentally fun and interesting single player campaign.

Multiplayer: Mass Effect doesn't need a multiplayer at all. However, Starcraft II's multiplayer is where Starcraft II becomes more than just a game, its a media platform in itself. Vanilla SCII is the most balanced asymmetrical RTS game ever made, and is a spectator sport in itself. The custom games add an infinite amount of gameplay experiences. Little Big Planet? PLZ, SC custom maps are better (mostly) vary more in gameplay and anyone can make one too.

And it's absurd ME2 gets favoritism because people can't tell the difference between activism and spamming. It's like politics, if you don't get people rallied up behind a cause, then you're going to lose just like you (the people who voted for ME2) lost. But objectively I believe Wings of Liberty is the better game.

Posted: December 15, 2010 4:37 PM
  • xBTx

the noobs have won...

story and graphics are now more important than gameplay.

Posted: December 15, 2010 4:24 PM
    xBTx
  • mortiz400

so all of these games are nice and all but what about freakin GOD OF WAR 3!!!

Posted: December 15, 2010 4:01 PM
    mortiz400
  • Drifter86

How the heck does Epic Mickey make it to the conversation and not God Of War 3....???? Something wrong here???

Posted: December 15, 2010 3:57 PM