Sessler's Soapbox: Sessler at the Supreme Court

Posted: November 2, 2010
Sessler's Soapbox: Sessler at the Supreme Court
Adam stands on the steps of the Supreme Court to discuss the hearings regarding California's Violent Video Game Law.

• DocM@sta

Our country is basically a nation that is controlled and governed by attempted indoctrination of society from generation to generation, along with a hypocritical, pretentious, and duplicitous government driven by corrupted and/or ill infromed leaders

If it's legally dictated that we must stop selling video games in stores ALL together and video games of explicit nature are censored and propagation in stores like Gamestop is ended... it will effect the video gaming industry SO adversely to the point where it will reform and devolutionise it's creative and free natures to where games will never be the same again!!!!! THIS JUST SIMPLY CANNOT BE!

When technology advances... so does mankind's ability to create and express himself through more and more fascinating and effective means. When the electric guitar was created, when the movie real was invented, when computer aided drafting was developed, EVERYTHING advanced with technology!! Now comes video games, a new way for people to create massive and beautiful fascist's of our infinitely beautiful and astounding creative nature...

If this bill is passed it will cripple our freedom of expression to untold extents!!!!

for 1: When people from one generation to the next see something that they don't fully understand, they immediately move to oust it and judge it like it needs to be flushed down the can... perfect example! exhibit A... video games. is to hinder the very foundation of creativity in man kind... it is to silence the technological advancement of art and expression on a level of HUGE implications!!

Sesslers right! Where will it stop??? If violence in art from the standpoint of digital entertainment is oppressed then where will it end! This will open the doorway for numerous industries in art, entertainment, expression, and business advertisement

For 2: Allll the way through history in the form of movies, erotic art, violent books and stories, to television show's, to music... alll of mankinds freedom of speech has had attempts to have it snuffed out... because they FEAR It... but we are a free people... this just cannot be!

Posted: December 1, 2010 9:29 PM
    DocM%40sta
  • DocM@sta

Posted: December 1, 2010 9:27 PM
    DocM%40sta
  • ArrenKae

Sessler's surprise about Scalia shows he doesn't know Scalia and/or wrongly presumes censorship is a Republican plank. Scalia is an originalist. He's the best of the Supreme Court justices (there are only a few good ones). He errs on the side of freedom on all issues.

3:06 Demonstrates there's no freedom in the world, America's far from the land of the free (shameful considering it came closer than any other land), the detrimental nature of cops, and the hypocrisy of the government.

Again, Adam goes on with surprise that a liberal judge is for oppression. I'm glad he's reporting honestly that events have gone against his expectation but if he researched these judges any before attending the trial he would know what to expect. If you don't know, look up originalism.
    Past incarnations of the Democratic party, like Jacksonian Democrats and Bourbon Democrats, were more freedom-favoring than the Republican side. In modern days the Republican party has been the more freedom-favoring party. The divide between parties was the inheritance of Anti-federalists vs. Federalists, Freemen vs. Slavers. This battle has always been and will always be, factions laying heavier or lighter yokes upon man's shoulders. No later than 1963 both parties have been the federal party. You find rare, exceptional people who still dreamily wish for a less governed (freer) America in both parties but more tend to choose the Republican party because it was more recently the party which favored freedom more. If the election system wasn't rigged the libertarian party would be viable.

Why doesn't Adam recommend that gamer voting site Yahtzee did?

Posted: November 9, 2010 12:59 PM
    ArrenKae
  • no_originality

i think we should question that irony and tell someone who can exploit this for the benfit of use with insanity

Posted: November 8, 2010 11:00 PM
    no_originality
  • Nickalicious

Adam I just wanted to say that you are a very smart man and have a lot of great things to say. The amount of knowledge you contain about subjects always impresses me. Thank you for doing what you do. Blair Herter on the other hand seems kind of like that douchey guy that no one at the office really likes but they put up with him anyway, and when they're all together without him they say things like, "oh my god did you see what that douche Blair did?" No Blair's awesome, Adam you're awesome, and X-play rocks my balls.

Posted: November 8, 2010 9:32 PM
    Nickalicious
  • Galahxy

I kind of hate how they keep tweeting about the Madden argumen, while G4TV are going crazy over this case. Yes I know this case is important but I wish they could stop tweeting about "An argument caused by the game Madden has left one player dead." There is obviously more to it than that but whatever you like to make a headline I guess...

Posted: November 7, 2010 5:38 PM
    Galahxy
  • garrettgotgame

Sessler...you rocked it man. and that cut was hilarious...never understand the rent-a-cops that limit speech like that. has happened to me a few times

Posted: November 7, 2010 9:41 AM
    garrettgotgame
  • FaroDemon

Good job America! You keep those damn amendments in the dirt!!

Posted: November 6, 2010 12:07 PM
    FaroDemon
  • devinmccullough

Very well done report as always I regard you in the highest amount of respect and this is one of those cases that proves why. Thank you so much Mr. Sessler and congratulations to you for getting to do something you looked really happy about, reporting on the steps of the Supreme Court. You had such a positive light to you when you took that moment to reflect that it even made me smile. I do not think I have posted anything to these boards in years. Regardless of what is going on it made me happy to see someone that is reporting on something this important to give their thoughts in a very honest and (trying to be) unbiased manner. It is to bad that you could not finish the whole segment on the steps, but I think you made some really good points.
    My personal opinions on the case at hand. Well, I am for smaller government and less government regulation at every turn. I believe it is the parents job to protect their children. That is the case with all types of media. I to this day remember seeing my first R rated movie, Bloodsport, my first Parental Advisory Album, Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe, and even playing Mortal Kombat for the first time. Maybe it was the fact I had a way to act out my energy through martial arts. I would think one of the main reasons is that all those first my mother was there. I have been lucky because my mother is a gamer, a movie buff, and a (80's) metal head. These could also be the reason I saw Mortal Kombat, my first violent game, as nothing more than a cartoon. Could this first interaction with, what would have been considered, an M rated game shaped my opinion of games? I do not know. Maybe a kid now who's first violent game is Call Of Duty might see it differently. The parents should be involved and know what their kid is being influenced by. That goes for video games, as well as movies, music, books, television, and toys.
    These studies seem to not take into account these other factors. I would like to see a study where they use the same methods of measuring the violence of video games to the violence of two kids playing with action figures. Another form of interactive entertainment is music. It is interactive in the way images from in your mind and in dancing. Every form of music has its own form of dance that boils down to some of the basic human urges.
    On the this idea I would submit to those that read this that video games are not the only form of entertainment that is interactive. As previously stated, a child playing with action figures is very interactive, possibly more so than video games. Watch two children play with military figures. They are either shooting and killing each other or shooting and killing the bad guys.
    So much of this law is undefined and seems to only pertain to physical copies of games. It would not be difficult for a kid to go out buy X number of points to digitally download an M rated game. If the courts were to say to companies you can't sell these games on your digital download service it would make this even more interesting. You would then have some major gaming companies coming together to fight their right to sell these things. Secondly do all video games have to be submitted? If not we will have the video game equivalent of a "NR" (not rated) movie. Manhunt 2 supposedly was attempting to try this method with their "AO" (Adults Only) version but of course this was shot down. In the future with this law in place could we see this happen but instead of "AO" we see "Unrated Director's Cut?" I believe that if a politician were serious about the argument being made this would prove a worse scenario. It seems with so many online retailers selling video games that even if major retailers did not carry the "Unrated" versions they could find the audience that wants them, just as grind-house theaters and exploitation films found their audience.
    These are only my opinions and I do not wish to force them on anyone. I am not embarrassed of my remarks as these are my feelings at this moment in time. I know that there are people who do not agree. I would however like to kindly ask that anyone who reads this post give some thought to what I have said even though my opinion has not been directly asked of me.
    Thank you to all who have taken the time to read this.
    -Devin McCullough

Posted: November 5, 2010 8:40 PM
  • justNobodySpecial

Adam,

9x out of 10 I totally am frustrated with your game reviews. But great work on this. You appear more journalistic than the so called professionals. You stated the facts clearly, didn't put any bias in the article and it was really informative.

In regards to the issue with being told you can't shoot on the steps, if you were carrying a Nazi sign with President Obama, I am sure they would let you continue. Maybe that is what you forgot...

Although I still think Fall Out Sucks.

Posted: November 5, 2010 4:02 PM
    justNobodySpecial
  • Kennedy

I would expect the more liberal justices to support this bid to block sales of violent video games to minors. I don't like the terms liberal and conservative as they are applied to the politicians in the US government. The left in the last two decades has been more conservative in censorship than the right for example.

Posted: November 4, 2010 2:47 PM
    Kennedy
  • medicanman

Dear fans of G4Tv,

We are a group of viewers affected by the recent decision of DirecTv to no longer carry G4Tv as part of their channel lineup. We are asking everyone (wheather affected or not) to call DirecTv and express their indignation of the decission to drop G4Tv.

The number to call is: 1-888-9-WeAreG4. We ask that you politely call the number and state: " I am 1 of a million and I want my G4Tv back". The call will take about 5 minutes as you are calling an automated phone system. You can just say Customer Service at the first prompt and get to a live Customer Service Rep.

Please become 1 of a million.

Alone we are strong, together we are powerful.

Please visit: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Bring-back-G4tv-on-Direct-tv/1 71473829531677 and join with us to restore G4Tv to our lineup.

Medicanman.....

I aplogize in advance for the cross postings. We need to get our message out if we are to make a difference. Every voice counts.

Posted: November 4, 2010 1:09 PM
    medicanman
  • kings_legacy

Sess I would vote for you as president any day.

Posted: November 4, 2010 10:10 AM
    kings_legacy
  • Moden_Dante

Why does a law matter when most game stores(at least in my experience) card for M rated games? I guess it prevents private sales and internet sales to an extent but even still there is parental involvement in these sooo bullcrap law, glad I moved out of Cali... and that the Governator is no more.

Posted: November 4, 2010 3:17 AM
    Moden_Dante
  • burningottsel

Nice evaluation of what's happening, irony is always fun. What's with that net around the top of the Supreme Court building?

Posted: November 3, 2010 8:13 PM
    burningottsel
  • burningottsel

This country of ours is it's own irony, you can't use free speech in front of the building that's supposed to enforce it, teen pregnancies are at an all time high yet schools don't teach teens how to prevent getting pregnant, we have independence from the British yet we still cling to the measurement system that they abandoned centuries ago. In Pinata Party don't you kill defenseless animals to steal the things they drop? I predict the next Michel Moore documentary will be about video games.

Posted: November 3, 2010 8:10 PM
    burningottsel
  • G4m3rK!ng

i hate california now cuz of tha BS laws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Posted: November 3, 2010 6:19 PM
  • rWeso3

Well I'm glad Sess did a soapbox on this. I didn't understand what Cali was trying to do. I just thought that they were trying to limit sales to minors, and I didn't fully understand how or why. Up until this point I had no problem with the law. I'm 22 and thought it wouldn't affect me. But now I see the darker side of things. Thanks Sess.

US Supreme Court: The only place in the US you can't practice free speech. Even when they are trying to define it. LMAO

Posted: November 3, 2010 5:57 PM
    rWeso3
  • gamegod375

I loved the irony part, classic sessler

Posted: November 3, 2010 5:25 PM