Supreme Court vs. The Video Game Industry

Posted: November 2, 2010
Supreme Court vs. The Video Game Industry

Kevin Pereira talks to Adam Sessler who reports live from Washington, DC about the Supreme Court case about the regulation of video games, the freedom of speech and how this will affect gamers all over the country.

• FaerieFyre

"Violent video games make kids violent!"

I call bullshirts! >.<</safety_wrapper&g t;

Posted: November 22, 2010 9:07 PM
  • x_hunter_x

There are a lot of reasons why kids become violent, people know the difference between reality and fantasy(if you don't know the difference then you are an idiot). I played my first GTA game when I was 4, I ran over lots of people,and i shot a lot of people too, and i am not violent. A few months ago i noticed that my older brother had a pistol in the basement, and i was scared to death just looking at it. My parents would take my cords for my console away and i was pissed but i didn't go and stab them with a knife or beat them to death with a wooden stick over a bunch of cords, you know why because i am not violent. Not every kid has a console or a computer so they can play violent games, they might live in a violent neighborhood thats probably why they are aggressive and violent. Saying that video games make kids violent is just pure B.S!

Posted: November 20, 2010 7:50 AM
  • MeOverThinker

Video games does not cause kids to be violent. Look at history, violence is caused by religion; maybe we should outlaw that instead.

Posted: November 15, 2010 1:49 PM
    MeOverThinker
  • vlweb3d

Its called "GOOD PARENTING" people, Game companies and the Supreme Court should not have to babysit your kids. Do you know how many violent video games I've played over the years? Allot.

But I'm not stupid, I'm not just gonna shoot some one just like that because it's in a video game.

Besides, the argument that "violent video games" breed "violent children" is null and void. It's pretty obvious that something else besides violent video games is going on in that household - maybe they should check the REAL ISSUES instead of looking for a scapegoat.

Posted: November 6, 2010 5:23 PM
  • AistinDanger

If Adam "The Sess" Sessler and Kevin "Manrod" Pereira covered the news on a channel like CNN or Fox News, I honestly might watch the news a ton more than I do now. This was very engaging : )

Posted: November 5, 2010 9:02 AM
    AistinDanger
  • Sparks112

Wow people have we forgotten about what makes us Human and drives us to keep going forward? Entertainment as revolutionized in many ways and each Decade has brought us only better amusement. In the Past, entertainment was a lot worse then what we are seeing on our movies and games. People would latterly go see people die to their death or get beat to death and even stoned to death. What gets me about this whole story is that these same people that are targeting our gaming industries are the same people who are promoting War in other countries. We talk about violence everyday and see violence everyday rather it's a crazy driver or a dog killing a cat. Some how people have in their minds that it is ok to go to war and have weapons of mass destruction, but it's not ok to place realistic characteristics in a fantasy environment? What if something went wrong and all of those bombs go off? We ve just seen an oil drill failure witch means we re human and we make mistakes a few times in our lives. I feel that people are not asking the right questions and if I had to ask these guys questions I would ask reasonable and shocking questions. How does violence in videogames make a person violent? If so, when you see these games in action do you feel the urge to pick up a weapon and kill some one? If that is how you think of all gamers in the world then surely you're are mistaken. Try playing a game like Need for Speed for yourself and feel the need to drive fast, this element takes the sense of realism and puts it in the game so that people won t have to go out and try to do something dumb. We all wanted to go fast when we were kids and some people want to know what it feels like to be a criminal, mostly rich people with nothing else to do in their lives because they have it all. The point here is, don t give people the chance to ruin their lives by trying these stunts in real life. Videogames actually prevent violent acts rather then cause them. It is in human nature to be even a little violent even when a person can lie and say "I can't get angry", then that person is not only lying to the world, but to himself witch means he's hiding secrets about himself. Generally speaking, most people who lie about that is really more violent then the people who can joke around about it.

Everyday I hear people talk about how dangerous it is to be on the streets, they could get shot, ran over or what ever. All of these things existed long before they where every in a movie, book, or a videogame. Making laws to prevent this isn't going to change the hearts of human beings. In many foreign countries they have already banned games off their market for various and unrealistic reason, yet, in each and every one of those places they still have extreme violence. In Germany they try to hide the fact that they've had a violent past and censor nearly everything, but in the end has this changed the way Nazis think? Has it changed what people think about the country? Maybe a little bit, but that's because they have not seen the extreme violence that goes on here. In China, they aren t allowed to see bones so when game developers bring their games there they have to take out bones if they have them, but does that stop the fact that they were experts of breaking bones? No, so censoring videogames is not going to change violent people and not going to change what people feel about Americans or any other country. There is a saying, Guns don't kill people, people kill people and the same thing goes with every peace of technology we have. Videogames don't make people go and kill others or themselves, that is something that develops in a person brain from child birth so if you really want to change the world, change life, you can start with our hellish streets and take guns off the market. Start with the CIA on that part because realistically, there is no way anyone can bring illegal things inside or outside the country unless it came from the military or government officials , remember Freeway Rick Ross. The other thing is music, how can musicians get the privilege of singing about anything they want and not have to go through ratings on how violent the music is. It is mostly Rap and Death Metal speaking about causing hell, bringing hell and promoting hell witch is extreme violence, if we can arrest someone in an Airport for saying man that song was the bomb, it was off the hook then surely you can censor their music like you re doing with videogames. America, is it a free country? More like America, the censored country with free will that is not counted in any type of vote against the government. In a way we can consider ourselves lucky because not to long ago protesters were being shot in Bangkok. Please don't let USA get like the Germans, if it does then Bangkok is not far behind it.

Posted: November 4, 2010 8:35 AM
    Sparks112
  • BigBean123

I thought that the stores have already being doing this, because every time i go to Gamestop/Walmart/Target/Bestbu y looking for an M game they always need my ID
    (One time i forgot it at at target and i wanted GTA 4 and they made me bring my mom because i needed a gaurdian)

Posted: November 3, 2010 5:22 PM
    BigBean123
  • zakams

I don't see the big deal. I can't buy rated M games in my town without an ID saying I'm 17.

Posted: November 3, 2010 2:53 PM
    zakams
  • Tigerbob

Hopefully free speech wins. Games should have proper ratings like here in the UK and kids/teens should not be able to buy games unsuitable for them. It is then up to parents to check what their kids are playing like with dvds.

Posted: November 3, 2010 2:44 PM
    Tigerbob
  • RONNI1984

I find it funny that one of these people that are going after video games made a career out being in violent movies like predator,terminator 1,2,3 and all the other violent movies he been in

Posted: November 3, 2010 2:12 PM
  • atariman03

Thanks Adam.

Posted: November 3, 2010 1:50 PM
    atariman03
  • OutlawFirebird

Ok, I mgiht be a little confused. Is this a law that prohbits the sale of violent games to minors right? Dont most stores already do that? gamestop were im from ask me for id most of the time if im buying a game.

Posted: November 3, 2010 11:08 AM
    OutlawFirebird
  • Bladeson

I don't know about you guys but I want someone with a degree in English (Adam) asking questions at the supreme court.. I like Kev, but this is more in Adam's ring. If you disagree you haven't been seeing enough of Adam on these similar issues and how he thinks they should be handled.

Posted: November 3, 2010 3:56 AM
  • tdogg06051991

To tell you the truth I really don't find this trial a bad thing. I mean when using the common sense aspect I feel like yea games 17 an up shouldn't be played by kids under 17. There is a reason why GOW3 had been rated that because of boobs everywhere and all that jazz. My problem is the fact that video games aren't treated like Movies or books. That parents see them as any kid can play any game. Now that is ridiculous. By not giving minors any possible access to violent video games like ones that are M-mature just means the world considers them equal to Rated R movies which to me is fine. Also it would be awesome if they made M-mature games= adult games. Then developers could really go all over the top sex an violence that they couldn't do before. So yea I'm 19 and I want the bill to pass.

Posted: November 3, 2010 2:17 AM
    tdogg06051991
  • Kedj

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Einstein

Posted: November 3, 2010 12:41 AM
    Kedj
  • idea_machine

I got your regulation right here: E through M and good parenting!

Posted: November 2, 2010 11:53 PM
    idea_machine
  • napkinshower

those guys are awesome! (adam and kevin)

Posted: November 2, 2010 11:11 PM
    napkinshower
  • Nakikurasu

Ya I think Adam has no depth or character, Kevin should have been the one there.

Posted: November 2, 2010 11:05 PM
    Nakikurasu
  • JuggaloX13

All sparked by a USER created mod of a game!

Posted: November 2, 2010 10:40 PM
  • DEAThHEART

i agree, Kevin should be the one having our backs. I dont really have faith in Adam, no offence.

Posted: November 2, 2010 10:22 PM