Sessler's Soapbox: War of the Open Worlds

Posted: October 26, 2010
Sessler's Soapbox: War of the Open Worlds
Adam talks about all the time he's been spending in open world games and how their design is what makes them so appealing.

• ArrenKae

Fable's definitely a more linear game than FNV.

1:32 "Internally Consistent".

FNV>F3

Posted: November 9, 2010 1:06 PM
    ArrenKae
  • inboundscorpion

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted: October 31, 2010 7:02 AM
    inboundscorpion
  • inboundscorpion

LOLZLOLZLOLZ

Posted: October 31, 2010 7:01 AM
    inboundscorpion
  • inboundscorpion

best game ever cant wait to get back on ADDICTION.

Posted: October 31, 2010 7:00 AM
    inboundscorpion
  • axelausbrowniehome

powerful and very true

Posted: October 29, 2010 12:21 PM
    axelausbrowniehome
  • bgtwins15

I am curious. Are the people playing the games sitting right in front of adam? Are they behind the camera or somewhere else?

Posted: October 28, 2010 4:11 PM
    bgtwins15
  • lowkevmic

@silentshadow867- I couldn't agree with you more!! I have Borderlands which from what I've played is an amazing game. But I've owned the game since launch and to date I'm still only level 28 and there is supposed to be 69 levels or more!! I haven't even been able to play any of the expansions because I feel it would be a waste of money to buy an expansion for a game I barely get a chance to play, or at least put some serious time into. You have to be very dedicated to invest all the time truly needed to play a deep rpg like Fallout or Fable. I can't even get into open sand box games like GTA or Crackdown like I use to when I was unemployed and living at my mom's house!! Man, being a productive and contributing member of society sucks!!

Posted: October 28, 2010 3:23 PM
    lowkevmic
  • silentshadow867

I love these games, but they are horrible when you have no free time to play them. Lately I have gone from an actual gamer to a casual gamer... Because now I have a life to attend to. I miss not having a life... a lot.

Posted: October 28, 2010 2:17 PM
    silentshadow867
  • suryu

mmmm i don't care for either game

Posted: October 27, 2010 11:41 PM
    suryu
  • iStab

Couldn't have said it better, Mr. Sessler.

Posted: October 27, 2010 1:45 PM
  • orangecrow

I dunno, the RPG genre lost its magic to me. It might be, because I lost my imagination; I might get lost in an open world. I'm going back to Genesis, I need a linear path to guide me.

Posted: October 27, 2010 1:09 PM
    orangecrow
  • P1rate

I just got Fallout 3 GOTY...I was hooked after an hour.

Posted: October 27, 2010 12:32 PM
    P1rate
  • Stormraught

You nailed it Mr. S, you nailed it.

Posted: October 27, 2010 6:44 AM
    Stormraught
  • drangel_jam

If you're going to Albion when you're stuck in traffic, you're either a luck sob, or need to grow up.

Posted: October 27, 2010 4:56 AM
    drangel_jam
  • hoof_hearted4

this makes me very excited for RAGE next year. its like a fall out/borderlands feel to it (in my opinion anyways) and its open world and i will play the crap out of it lol

Posted: October 26, 2010 11:53 PM
    hoof_hearted4
  • TGE0

Awesome S.S. as usual, I think Adam got across the major draw of open world games which is the fact that they can have such immersive worlds that (if they are an interesting setting) add another level to the gaming experience.

As often if the case though for me (particularly in open word games as they do depend on that level of immersion so throughly) is the non-combat AI of NPCs. Fallout is a great example, you have this huge immersive setting with some truly fantastic story and dialogue but then you look around and you realize that 90% or so of the the NPCs are actually little more than moving mannequins with a few lines of dialogue and with no real effect on anything.

Sadly even the entertaining percentage of NPCs are really just staged actors in the open world.

This issue of AI is (in my opinion) the single greatest hurdle that open world games face going forward, and I really do hope that all game developers (in the industry as a whole) realize the importance, not just of dynamic worlds but that of the characters that populate those worlds as well.

Posted: October 26, 2010 11:07 PM
    TGE0
  • RonnyRarko

the sess, is basically a god among reviewers, keep shining you bright bright star! never stop dreaming! etc etc.

Posted: October 26, 2010 10:11 PM
    RonnyRarko
  • yougimble

Yes open worlds are getting very trendy but developers have to be careful about something. If there is TOO much to do that detracts from the impact of the game. I'm a huge fan of open world games Oblivion, Fallout, Grand Theft Auto are all some of my all time favorites. But recently in games-Origins and Red Dead-I've been getting bored. I would play the game a bunch then just stop and move one. In red dead while only recently getting to Blackwater. I intend to eventually go back and finish but sometimes all you want is a little too much.

Posted: October 26, 2010 8:51 PM
    yougimble
  • Socrates'sMind

Good stuff Mr. Sessler. I would have to agree with what you said about open world games. A good gaming studio can bring these various worlds to life if they put their time, effort, and skills into it. A studio that doesn't do so makes the world seem like nothing at all. Its a difficult thing to balance. How much open world to do have and are still able to tell a great story. Finding that perfect mix is crucial to a great open world game.

Posted: October 26, 2010 8:50 PM
    Socrates'sMind
  • AngelsandDemons

Is New Vegas that bad?....I still haven't opened it yet because of all this glitch talk.

Posted: October 26, 2010 8:13 PM