Sessler's Soapbox: Nintendo 3DS: Too Much, Too Late?

Posted: October 5, 2010
Sessler's Soapbox: Nintendo 3DS: Too Much, Too Late?
Adam discusses Nintendo's announced launch date and price for the 3DS and if he thinks they will help or hurt hardware sales.

• suryu

well go get ur 3ds when it comes out and play them games just hope its faster online this time around

Posted: October 24, 2010 9:12 PM
    suryu
  • SpacePirate4

Saying that success is something Nintendo has only enjoyed recently sounds like something someone who has not been playing video games for very long would say, as I assume you forgot or were unaware of the NES, SNES, GB, GBC and GBA. If you really think the GC and N64 were unsuccessful, sheesh. Anything that isn't perfect might as well be a flop to you kids these days.

As far as this supposed 300 dollar price point, it seems reasonable. Certainly more reasonable than 250 for a Wii. I still feel pretty confident the 3DS will be at or under 250 for the US, I'm probably wrong but I just have a feeling. I think the days of 200 dollar platforms at launch are probably gone, 300 isn't that bad. As we have seen it gets much worse than that, even for mobile platforms. I think the price of the Wii was highly influenced by consumer excitement that bordered on hysteria, so maybe if we act really unimpressed by the 3DS Nintendo will make it 200. We just have to act really, really cynical and snobby and too cool for school.....oh wait we already do that all the time. Well uh, keep it up then!

Posted: October 21, 2010 5:53 PM
    SpacePirate4
  • magusat999

Sessler - did you forget the N64 and the Gamecube? No, Nintendo isn't great at everything it makes and only has enjoyed success recently. That success was due to a cheap handheld that it kept supporting even as new iterations came out, and a cheap, game dedicated game console in a time when the competing consoles were charging caviar prices and offering things that many gamers simply could live without (thank you very much Sony, but I have a Blu-Ray player already... didn't need you for that).

This is more accurately an ill-timed attempt to "take advantage" of it's success by pricing something the way Nintendo has always wanted to price it's products. Remember the last time they were number one, they wanted $80.00- $100.00 per game. I don't know how many games from the Snes that i thought I had, just to recall that I rented the game because it was too expensive back then. Nintendo is trying to get those price back up - repeating the same old pattern of failure that caused them to fail in the first place.

And you may have added the reason they chose to delay it and raise the price - at the game conference they saw how popular it was and AT THAT TIME decided to raise the price. Pure GREED and nothing else. I'm wondering if the system is going to be that expensive, how much will the games price go up? I see people holding out for the price to drop - and then rampant piracy of what I predict to be extremely expensive games.

Posted: October 14, 2010 5:54 PM
    magusat999
  • Greenlanturn9669

Im have hope that the 3DS will drop in price but i still think i'll wait for the second one to come out.

Posted: October 14, 2010 11:02 AM
    Greenlanturn9669
  • marioboy312

I like it and i agree with him it should have came out near December that's when people buy stuff for the holiday. the price is also too much $300 maybe be there but we don't know we can only take what they gave us till then I will still buy it

Posted: October 13, 2010 6:22 PM
  • MasterHanyou

Then maybe its time to get rid of that tacky leather couch & get a nice fabric one Or maybe a nice chair. I never saw the appeal of leather furniture. You always stick to it. It gets too hot? You get burned. It gets too cold? It cracks. It gets wet? It gets ruined. Oh then there ids the whole thing about the NOISE! My god..seriously I dont want people think I'm farting every time I sit on or get up from my couch thank you.

Posted: October 13, 2010 5:38 PM
  • JMason1984

Is it really comfortable to play games in the nude? I would've imagined it get uncomfortable, ass clinging to the leather couch.

Posted: October 11, 2010 9:01 AM
  • reepga

saw da psp2 at http://rocksoft.wordpress.com/ 2008/10/25/psp2-new-concept-we lcome-to-2009/

damn

Posted: October 11, 2010 7:05 AM
    reepga
  • kainbelmont4

Why should I buy the 3DS when it comes out for $300? I will Wait for the 3DS lite or 3DS XL to come out within 6 months to a year after the 3DS release date and will make it look out dated. That is why I'm still playing the DS Phat because I don't have the money to a new DS every year or soo to find later that to is outdated.

Posted: October 10, 2010 8:06 PM
  • jwebb1984

Hardware also declines in price over time. I think its realistic to expect that Nintendo has pricepoints on the manufacturing costs in February/March and will benefit from a post-poned U.S. release that way as well.

If they reduce the price due to reduced manufacturing costs or not is the more interesting speculation in my opinion.

They may have anticipated a lower release price in the U.S. already, only time will tell.

On the note of $300, it is a little hefty but its not unbearable or unaffordable. Many people will still shell out the cash for this.

Posted: October 10, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Lil Lotte

The 3D Star Wars don't start until 2012.
    OT: I think 3D is a fad as well. A lot less people are interested in it than most believe. I know of many people that are boycotting movie theaters because of the major price jack-up on tickets after Avatar did so well.
    Another point is the recession is still very much around for most. So I doubt most parents are not gonna want to drop that much on something that can be carried around and is more likely to be broken or stolen.

Posted: October 9, 2010 8:46 PM
    Lil+Lotte
  • orangecrow

Nintendo ds is starting to be a Madden franchise, one every year. I wonder what's next 3ds rumble?

Posted: October 9, 2010 8:02 AM
    orangecrow
  • G4Punisher1

I have never understood the appeal of nintendo. And how people will want to spend $300+ on a hand held system is beyond me. I can think of a lot better things to by then that.

Posted: October 8, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Sauka

It will most likely be $250, not $300.
    And the Wii launched at 25,000 yen also so I don't know why people say it's more than the Wii at launch.

Posted: October 7, 2010 10:58 AM
    Sauka
  • omarabreu92

Im looking forward to the 3DS, I'm pretty sure it won't be $300. I would get $200, but $300! that too crazy.

Posted: October 6, 2010 5:54 PM
    omarabreu92
  • playsbydesign

I think we will see a slow adoption with the 3DS. Naturally, there will be early adopters such as tech savy's and Nintendo fans. However, I'm not sure we will see such a quick turn over like we did with the DS especially with the casual market.

Nintendo is showing their need for early adopters with their line up. A line up of some of the greatest games of all time which are a bit essoteric to casual audiances. The more proliphic gamer will eat those early titles up on princible. The casual crowd I believe will not be swayed until the price drops to current DS prices and there are more casual friendly games exclusive to the 3DS. A casual gamer may find it difficult to spend $250+ on a device that simply plays their old DS games.

Posted: October 6, 2010 3:09 PM
    playsbydesign
  • subduel

I can't wait to get my hands on one. I don't know if i will be able to get it on the first day it comes out but I will buy one as soon as i can.

Posted: October 6, 2010 2:30 PM
    subduel
  • subduel

Posted: October 6, 2010 2:29 PM
    subduel
  • lynch dude8

the ds didn't do much besides play games, dose anyone know if you can play music, video, and all that junk on it? if not ill stick to my psp

Posted: October 6, 2010 12:46 PM
    lynch+dude8
  • sinewave

Price point is fine. This thing is going to be so epicly awesome, price won't matter. DS was $250, 3ds is way beyond DS technology.

Posted: October 6, 2010 12:33 PM