How To Get A Job In Gaming - Movin On Up at PAX 2010 Panel

Posted: September 14, 2010
How To Get A Job In Gaming - Movin On Up at PAX 2010 Panel
How To Get A Job In Gaming will give you the answers or a better understanding on how to enter the work force in the gaming industry. Watch the PAX 2010 panel for Movin On Up as these gaming professionals teach you how to make it in the gaming world.

• TheMilkMonster

It's nice to hear from the guys behind the public aspect of the gaming industry for a change. I never thought it was feasible to be able to make a living out of gabbering (?) on about games. Kudos to all of you G4 correspondents' who (hopefully) get to speak your minds about the things that are important to you for a job. For a person such as myself who has very little artistic aptitude, this is a beacon of hope that there are other paths to explore and other ways into the biz.

Posted: September 19, 2010 5:56 PM
  • mosespippy

I found it funny when John Drake called them Hyperlinks near the end. It's like he stepped back into 1998.

Posted: September 16, 2010 8:29 PM
    mosespippy
  • FunkadelicJedi

Great interview all around. Thanks for posting the video! Very helpful!

Posted: September 15, 2010 4:56 PM
  • SCM13

How do I become the guy that tells people what to do with a game??? haha

Posted: September 15, 2010 7:19 AM
    SCM13
  • m0nkeyb0y77

Go look at the Gearbox website (gearboxsoftware.com). They have a bunch of jobs and one might find it helpful to look at the actual job requirements.

That might be more helpful to those who wish to become game artists and programmers.

Posted: September 15, 2010 6:22 AM
    m0nkeyb0y77
  • ShdwFox

I agree that the title of the article is a bit misleading since most of the video is more about the writing or journalism aspect of a video game related career rather than something broader. Aside from that, it was still an interesting watch and I learned a lot.

But I'm absolutely shocked that a college degree means next to nothing to these people. In my high school, they were strongly advising my fellow students into going to college. If it wasn't college, they were ok with military. But if you said you weren't sure yet, or that you weren't thinking about either collage or military; oh they would talk up a storm about why that wasn't a good idea. And they would always insist college before military.

In that regard I don't know what to make of this. Either the game industry is looking for very specialized people that are talented in what they know (which a general college degree won't help in), or the industry just neglects the value in such a background. The latter doesn't seem plausible over the former. So does this mean we might see more colleges devoted to the writing or journalism aspect of the gaming industry? For example, like colleges specialized more toward game development? It seems a bit odd.

Posted: September 14, 2010 10:36 PM
    ShdwFox
  • joshdds13

would be way better with the people that actually make the video games not the ones that just talk about it ......and besides everyone wants a job as a programmer artist or tester who doesnt know that lol

Posted: September 14, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Bogues

Sweet 15:15 Patrick Klepek gets mentioned.

Posted: September 14, 2010 9:17 PM
    Bogues
  • SnowLeopardx

it's like an hour. ugh... I rather use that hour to eat.

Posted: September 14, 2010 8:44 PM
  • williamgaudet

i like this idea but i think it would be cool if it was with programmers, artists, and writers.

Posted: September 14, 2010 7:06 PM
    williamgaudet
  • CRaftsman1459

I got excited when I saw the video title, then I saw how long it was...I'll watch half but then I'm taking a break and making a sandwich.

Posted: September 14, 2010 7:03 PM
    CRaftsman1459
  • monufrak1

Ok these guys are cool and this video is great, but four journalists? Where are the programmers or artists who actually MAKE the games telling us what we need to do?

Posted: September 14, 2010 5:39 PM
    monufrak1
  • Ressard

...a lot of commas there.

Posted: September 14, 2010 4:32 PM