Star Wars PAX 2010 Panel

Posted: September 14, 2010
Star Wars PAX 2010 Panel
A long time ago, at a PAX 2010 convention far far away, there was an awesome Star Wars panel that showed off new gameplay video for Star Wars: The Old Republic and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2. This is your chance to see which some have not.

• BoydofZINJ

(okay my first paragraph has some sort of profanity).

I wonder what is the death penality system is like. Right now, it seems to "EZMODE." Did you notice that 3 people who never really played that classes took out that encounter so easily, that the presenters even commented that they did it better than "pros."

Posted: September 16, 2010 10:15 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • BoydofZINJ

I am an old school MMO gamer and I enjoy the fact, that I want to be challenged. In STO where you could go afk on an escort mission with undefended and lightly shielded shuttlecraft and they can always successfully reach their mission/quest objective while being attack by hordes of enemy ships is a flaw in that MMO, in my honest opinion. Likewise, I love playing LOTRO. However, death is really meaningless in many ways. Other than in raids, where you have to wait for someone to "rezz" you up or you respawn there is very little point in not dying - except some minor hit to durability on your equipment that makes you repair and the repai bill is not that severe. sure, if you die dozens of times and turn your gear red multiple times... that would be costly... but then again, why were you dying that many times to begin with?

Posted: September 16, 2010 10:14 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • BoydofZINJ

when posting I always seem to get profanity errors. I wonder what choice of words cause this?

Posted: September 16, 2010 10:11 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • Apsalus07

Wasn't impressed by the TOR presentation at all. Since I've been praising TOR up and down these forums for the past year, I suppose I should now take up the other torch (and pitchfork) to explain why TOR will suck.

1.) Pandering. Riding on the coattails of HK-47 and Darth Revan will only get you so far. Yes KOTOR was an excellent game, but no you can t just get away with referencing your previous greatness and hope it to rub off on your sequel. Why not introduce some new characters like Bioware did in ME2? That should be the model on how to make a sequel.

2.) Classes are cookie-cutter plain - compare any TOR class to TFU2's main character and you'll immediately see that. Classically mysterious and ambiguous Star Wars types have been shoehorned into a typical MMO class. For instance, a Jedi Knight is much more than just a "fighty guy"; he can also be a pilot or a general or a teacher or a farm boy. The limits imposed by sticking the Jedi Knight in a melee role take away any sense that your character is a real person. The galaxy is supposed to feel alien, instead it feels all too familiar with the same old melee moves warrior classes have been using in every MMO ever made. Which brings me to...

3.) Attacks/special abilities are lame and have little variety. I'll admit the first time they showed a Sith Warrior leaping forward it was awesome, but now it's starting to look very very fake. How can the same person jump the exact same way every time hundreds of times? It breaks immersion for me instantly. To make matters worse, even the Jedi Knight has the exact same "force leap" move.

4.) Animations are stiff and unrealistic. Your character doesn t breathe, except during your inevitable cut scene close-up. Your character s movements are more droid than human overall. Your character doesn t act wounded at all when your health decreases. Your character takes his/her turn in combat, then freezes in place for 2 seconds while an imaginary cooldown finishes and your turn comes up again. Seriously who would swing a lightsaber then PAUSE wait for it waaaait for it OK now swing again. I understand the game s underlying system is turn-based but having your character just FROZEN is such poor design its gut retching. At least have your character twirl his lightsaber idly or pick his nose OR DO SOMETHING TO INDICATE THEY RE ALIVE before your next turn arrives.

5.) No inspiration in the story. While Star Wars is a great universe with excellent potential to tell an awesome story, I saw absolutely no inspiration at all during the PAX demo. The "story" they talked about was really not much more complicated than "go kill 10 monsters X" except now you need to kill those monsters because some Imperial Agent needs plans to a new blaster turret. An improvement for sure, but hardly noticeable. I'm hoping I'm wrong and TOR will have a more epic grand story, but so far there have been few hints of greatness in writing.

6.) Cost. Seems like they re in over their heads, this game may be TOO big for its own good. Every element of this game will be completed at launch, I m sure of it, but because the game has so MANY elements Bioware can never truly polish any one element enough for it to shine. As a result, the game will turn out a generic MMO. Very unfortunate.

7.) Too much marketing, not enough game. Presenters were genuinely unfunny most times. Presenters were trying to brainwash us with the word choice. Having the same exact demo twice in the same presentation? The same old demo we ve seen before? Are they kidding us? Did they think we forgot the demo when they first showed it to us 30 minutes ago? How about instead of wasting an hour of my life telling me nothing new, you use that hour to work on TOR and make it better.

This was really harsh, but you have to criticize something if it s truly bad otherwise you re just a mindless fanboy.

Posted: September 15, 2010 7:11 PM
    Apsalus07
  • AzraelHorn

"I want Knights of the Old Republic 3 on the 360 or PS3."
    We're getting KOTOR 3, 4, 5, and 6 with TOR, but I agree, I'd love to be able to play on a console as a choice like DC Universe Online. Not that I'm opposed to PC games, just it's nice to have a dedicated system I know the game will always run on as opposed to having to upgrade every other month to keep up with the system requirements.

Posted: September 15, 2010 12:06 PM
    AzraelHorn
  • JediErzengel

I want Knights of the Old Republic 3 on the 360 or PS3.

I want another Star Wars: Starfighter game.

Posted: September 15, 2010 9:57 AM
  • please delete this profile

The Complete Star Wars Saga game. All six episodes in one game with 4 player co-op. Done with the same tech and style of The Force Unleashed franchise. Play as your favorite character or create your own. I can always dream, nuff said.

Posted: September 15, 2010 9:49 AM
    please+delete+this+profile
  • CALiiGeDDon

Star Wars Battlefront 3 or Star Wars Republic Commando 2...that is all.

Posted: September 15, 2010 9:32 AM