Talkabout: Metroid: Other M

Posted: August 27, 2010
Talkabout: Metroid: Other M
Abbie and Matt sit down to discuss why they were so disappointed with Metroid: Other M.

• 5thinline

that was kinda harsh. this is my second favorite metroid game :D

Posted: August 18, 2011 4:13 PM
    5thinline
  • JRK87

This review is still bunk.

Samus being a silent protagonist in almost all other Metroid games means you can't really hate (or even like) her transition within the current setting of Other M -- meaning, when she finally decides to say "screw it" to Adam's item-censorship, it MAY NOT be too late.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref =logo#!/TheJRK

That's a more full-out response, and you can see my face and name, G4 website reviewers... I know Abie isn't around anymore at your workplace, but I can't really contact her (and I already wrote a letter detailing this in better words back in September 2010, and of course she was too proud and too busy to respond).. but I'm calling her out AGAIN, months later, for all to see.

Posted: March 5, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Haloradiation

YOURE TOO LATE I ALREADY LOVE THE GAME

Posted: January 15, 2011 8:40 PM
    Haloradiation
  • Haloradiation

Maybe itd be better if they kept this Abbie Lady silent so the whole Metroid world would be at peace

Posted: January 15, 2011 8:33 PM
    Haloradiation
  • Haloradiation

Yea but think about it..Samus fought Ridley a bunch of times and beat him..but since she was a silent character how can we say that she is always brave? She was probably scared when she confronted Ridley again in Other M coz she had thought she defeated him once and for all, but he came back.. think of it as a nightmare..shes still human(even though shes a video game character) she was probably always scared when she took on all those creatures and crap..and Adam, she left him..she regrets it..its a natural emotion..all humans have these emotions..she cant always be brave..soldiers in the Military cry..wouldnt you be scared when someone killed your parents when your only 3 yrs. old..its a phobia..her past experiences are haunting her, thats the point, no one ever said Samus was all brave and cool when she was fighting Ridley or Motherbrain.it seemed like it(the truth hurts tho)...Do you think youd ever want to confront your parents killer after you believed you killed him, her, or it..And besides shes chozo/human/later metroid.. she has a youthfull apearance coz shes superhuman..like Albert Wesker who can dodge bullets and has a high metabolism(basically just copying Neo from Matrix,the whole costume AND POWER THING...AND NO ONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT THAT?) This game is for REAL Metroid fans who feel Samus..sure its a shock finding out that the one you thought was brave turned out to be pretty emotional..but if you have read the comic you can see where this is coming from...I consider the comic a part of the series...even though, in there it looked like Samus loved Adam in a romantic way.. AND NO ITS NOT SEXIST! what do you want? a bulky dude in a body flex suit acting like a little girl..it fits... girls are girls Not all girls are brave..no one officialy said Samus is brave and never cries and always somehow pretends like nothing bad has ever happened in her life..dont you remember the Ad when she said "Whats past, is prolouge"..Shes explaining her past..when she was young..scared......dont believe these guys.. And like the fact Samus actually acts like a HUMAN... not like these ppl who judge others for the way they act..its like bullying..Real Metroid fans would be in touch with the games.. they would feel Samus's pain..broken down since the first day of that incident on K-2L.. In the game she confronts her past. In a place similar to Zebes.. after going through the Space Pirate Zebes Motherbrain Ridley crap..plus the whole leaving Adam thing..she didnt know what to expect..its like knowing whats coming up and fearing its approach..Admit it! most ppl are just jealous of her loving Adam..you ppl are too busy JACKING OFF and not thinking..I bet that lady is just jealous that Samus looks 999,999,999,999,999,999,999 more attractive than her and that guys just jealous of Adam..so SURE SAY WHAT YOU WANT TO METROID AND SAMUS BUT ITS NOT GONNA CHANGE MY(or Ours if youre with me) LOVE FOR METROID! ID LITERALLY GIVE UP ALL MY GAMES FOR EVERY METROID GAME THAT HAS CAME OUT AND IS YET TO COME OUT! Ill give THIS (and all other views saying the same thing) A 1 out of 5.. and anyways what fun would this game be if Samus had ALL her powerups. Samus couldnt use all her powerups coz he COULDNT TRUST HER ANYMORE!Remember the whole thumbs down thing..it was a symbol of their trust..she wants his trust back...Your just TOO busy being angry at it!

Posted: January 14, 2011 6:27 PM
    Haloradiation
  • Rankshot

I did play and beat Other M, I haven't done hard mode yet, but I might before I trade it in, but there were some parts of the game I liked and didn't like in this game; I did feel that the controls were a bit clunky before I got used to them, but I did like the part where you blow up the Queen Metroid from the inside. When the Ridley scene came up I was a bit dissapointed, because Samus wanted to get her revenge on Ridley for Killing her parents and destroying her home or something, and I believe in Metroid Prime when she leaves the Space Frigite, she goes and chases down Meta-Ridley, and then ends up killing him two more times after this, so to be scared of ridley now seems pointless since she killed him four times before this, so a fifth time shouldn't of surprised her or anyone. I do wish they would remake this game, and make it so that she goes back to old badass ways, and few other things like making the controls less clunky and more responsive and that the auto-target system is more accurate, and the option to use the classic controller or something to make it adaptable, make feel more like super metroid than the original, or a little bit of both. And make the scene where she "decides not use her Items", and make it so that she is forced to turn them off until she is given authorization to them, make it more tense, make it look like they're out to get her or something. If someone has any better ideas please say so.

Posted: January 13, 2011 1:28 PM
  • MetroidJunkie

This video is full of ignorance and undeserved hatred. First, Samus doesn't turn into a sniveling girl in the Ridley scene. It shows a flashback of 4 year old Samus when Ridley was coming after her. If you saw the commercial, they make that blatantly obvious. In reality, Samus is backing up, wide eyes, and going "It can't be!", not exactly a crying baby. More like a PTSD ridden warrior who has seen a nightmare.

She thought he was gone for good, vaporized and, had it not been for that completely unexpected method of him being brought back, he would've become a distant memory. Therefore, Samus had no way of knowing he could possibly come back, making your argument that she should just see him and get to fighting him, quite frankly stupid. Also, saying Samus has never been sexualized before is just laughable because every "beat the game quickly" ending has her stripping for the audience. You call that not sexualized? Hell, I'd say Samus was more sexualized in Super Smash Bros Brawl than in Other M, I think the zero suit looks more perverted in that game. As for authorizations, she went to the bottle ship because of the scientist giving out a distress signal, none of the Galactic Federation wanted her there and Adam made it very clear he wanted her to have no part of it with his bitter attitude.

Following his command was a condition of helping, so was she supposed to leave and make it a great 10 minute game or try to go against the entire Galactic Army? Adam's actions are simply because he's a commander, you have to look at it from a military perspective to truly understand. I would say that letting Samus abandon the army without having her arrested proves Adam really does care about her on a deep level. I would explain the.... shooting scene but that would cause spoilers.

Posted: December 19, 2010 6:47 AM
    MetroidJunkie
  • Yukio_sachi

I can see how Abbie would see that as sexism, but I still dont think it was a fair review. Concentration can only be used when you're below 30hp, but you can reload on missiles any time you like. Maybe she's just really really, really, really, really, really used to pickups, therefore she hates it. I found that the switching from 3rd person to 1st problem is easily solved by facing your censorbar. Samus turns into a whiny bitch when she faces ridley becuase she thought she blew him to pieces allready. Just becuase she did it four times over, it dosen't make it easy every time she dose it. I didn't like the whole "I'm Mr.Adam and I get to say you cant use your power-bombs" thing, but think of it like Dragon-Ball Z where they would lower, and raise power levels in response to a opponet. Yeah she had a few daddy issues here and there, that I was a little ashamed to see. The only thing im freaking out over is why you guys belive she can't have a personality, they showed that there was a bit more of a backstory (read the Manga) and didn't input much into it. I did feel that they could've done more with the deleter, but they kinda left that for the player to figure that out, so I did.

Posted: November 26, 2010 7:29 PM
    Yukio_sachi
  • Gmegaman04

call me sick but it actually looks good to me and if the downside is her emotions your really as a human being suppose to freak out when a menacing alien monster like ridley appears in front of you if you watch alien ripley was not the kick ass alien slayer you see now until halfway through aliens as far as gameplay it looks pretty sweet i love prime but after 3 games of 3rd person mode were begging for a first person metroid im a huge metroid fan i will definately play speaking of aliens i wonder if the movie aliens inspired metroid because aliens was on amc last night and i couldn't but notice the simularities of metroid and aliens mayeb its just me!

Posted: November 18, 2010 11:44 AM
    Gmegaman04
  • mdvm73

Abbie is spot on! Tho the story did happen after super Metroid, she still whooped Ridley a couple times already. Samus's mystique is gone! This was never a space opera, and they ruined it. I urge nintendo to buy back all the copies, especially mine, burn them, and send team ninja to Norfair for hard labor... without varia suits!

Posted: September 30, 2010 4:53 PM
  • mdvm73

Posted: September 30, 2010 4:51 PM
  • PhixedAice

You guys are so horrible at reviewing you make IGN look more accurate. This game deserves 4/5 stars.

Posted: September 25, 2010 1:27 PM
    PhixedAice
  • Obsidias

You guys must be space pirates, I thought this game was great. I didnt have any trouble with the controls and her new personality wasn't a problem, she has never really expressed herself before this game so you cant rate the game on how much her personality has changed. I thought the game was very fun, the only down-side was that it was so short. I still like the Prime games the best but this game is not as bad as they say.

Posted: September 20, 2010 5:01 PM
    Obsidias
  • jaaledon

Ok...ITs official....G4 HATTTEESSSSS Nintendo.

Ever notice that the last few nintendo games they have reviewed, They all said they where horrible?And showed the only FEW things that most people wouldent notice even throught a full game play through? I think Game companies BRIBE G4 to give there games Good reviews at this point. G4 needs too either Become a Actual Video game reviewing company, OR they just need too STFU

Posted: September 18, 2010 12:14 PM
    jaaledon
  • Cyperkole

I was very disappoined when they turned Samus into a cheerleader. I like the Samus from Metroid Prime 1. When she takes off her helmet in the end she actually looks the part of a battle ridden woman. A character and voice similar to female Commander Sheppard from Mass Effect would have been more fitting. Being a Metroid fan I had a lot of hope and expectations the were not met and made me sad. You were right the story almost gets better then doesn't. I give this game 3 out of 5 stars just because it is Metroid. BTW Your a hottie Abbie

Posted: September 15, 2010 10:34 PM
    Cyperkole
  • Cyperkole

Your hottie Abbie

Posted: September 15, 2010 10:27 PM
    Cyperkole
  • Matiels

Well, at least they predicted all the comments they would get :p. I think part of the problem people have with this game is the imposition of Samus' character that we've all done. Just like Link, just like Fox, just like several Nintendo characters they all have a personality. Samus in particular has always been a well fleshed out character whose severely emotional due to her past traumas. Though I can't recall the particular chapter right now somewhere in the Metroid manga(the official one) it's blatantly stated that Samus suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Just taking that into account lets reexamine the game before moving on. Samus' ENTIRE colony was slaughtered by Ridley and she was the lone survivor giving her a vice for vengeance pertaining to the space dragon. Now, just as you two mentioned in your Talkabout, Samus has faced Ridely four or five times prior to this battle and after their last she believed him dead. SPOILER ALERT: However what she didn't realize is that Ridley reverted to a larval stage on the Bottle Ship and she actually encountered him before having to face him fully grown again. If you think back to the scene where you first see "Little Birdy" you'll notice that just before she leaves it's staring directly at her as though it's thinking. Of course we don't know for sure but what we can be certain of is the "Little Birdy" is smarter than it's appearance would have you believe. Later on we find out it was Ridley. If you think about that, and take into account Samus' post trauma, the scene where she's a child should make more sense: She though she'd buried her past and avenged all her loved ones including her mother and father but now the culprit is not only standing in front of her unexpectedly but in allowing his larval form to deceive her she brought the assault onto herself. I personally don't suffer from PTSD but I'm sure that facing the source of your trauma AFTER you thought you'd killed it AND realizing you could have stopped it AGAIN is pretty emotionally crippling.

There are other examples of Samus' emotional vulnerability in past games as well. Samus has all been a rather emotional character but it wasn't until this game that she had a voice to portray it. At the end of Metroid Prime 3 she sits and reflects on the fact that her fellow bounty hunters were more or less killed at her hands. I'm sure if she were the "gun toting space badass" that Abbie and many many others assumed her to be, this scene wouldn't even be in the game. Giving Samus a voice opened a very large door for her character to shine through and just because it's not what some people expected doesn't mean it's an incorrect portrayal. Also if you take into account her experience at the start of the game, the death of the Baby Metroid, you'd realize that Team Ninja and Nintendo were setting the stage for this game to be an emotional foray into Samus' character. Just because it's not what you expected doesn't mean it's wrong.

The final point I want to touch on is the spark that started this small rant of mine. The "sexism" present within the game. Now I will be the first to agree that in some cases it's just plain stupid for Adam to withhold his authorization with the Varia suit being a prime example. However, aside from those few and rare instances it makes sense to a true Metroid fan. This isn't me saying that the reviewers aren't true fans, I'm just reiterating the fact that none of the information or emotional placements for the characters are new thanks to the Metroid manga and other source material. Based on ALL previous Metroid games it's obvious that Samus is a walking army. She's taken down and entire space pirate army with just her arm cannon on more than one occasion(btw play MP1 and use the X-Ray visor, that should answer your arm length/arm cannon question :D ). However in the past I'm sure, and I think it's stated in the game at some point by Samus herself, that her massive firepower has hurt her allies because they're made for her to fight alone. Taking that into account it makes sense that Samus would restrain herself until otherwise told so in order to protect those around her. This brings me to the second stage of my argument. The Adam Authorizations. I'm sure that on some level, somewhere deep deep down where small things are turned into massive arguments Samus needing Adam's authorization is sexist. I won't argue that. What I will argue is how the authorizations make sense from both a character and story stand point. Samus has said more than once that Adam was like a father to her. And no, I doubt there was any sexual relationship between the two because in game evidence shows that she probably had a stronger romantic connection to Ian, Adam's dead brother, than Adam himself. Samus left the army (I presume) after Adam made the decision to save everyone's lives and sacrifice Ian. Because of this strain Samus left the army (again her PTSD) but now that she's working under Adam again it makes sense that she needs his permission to "cut loose"

I'm going to go now, but I hope this has at least shown a different side to the Other M argument. I'm not saying that Abbie was wrong for her score, everyone has a right to their own opinion, I'm just trying to shed some light on what I believe (my opinion) is the reason behind the development choices made for this game.

Posted: September 12, 2010 2:14 PM
    Matiels
  • JDEofVGC

I just beat Other M this morning, and it was $50 WELL SPENT. I absolutely loved it, and it kind of makes me wonder if you guys even played the game before reviewing it. I would give it no less than 8.5.

Posted: September 8, 2010 1:50 PM
  • jaaledon

Rent the game.Then see how correct they are.
    Response too video found aging http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AUA6IbUuda0

Posted: September 8, 2010 9:31 AM
    jaaledon
  • darthansum

Team Ninja should never make other metroid.

Posted: September 8, 2010 8:27 AM