Sessler's Soapbox: Mafia II's (not so) Open World

Posted: August 24, 2010
Sessler's Soapbox: Mafia II's (not so) Open World
Adam discusses how the interesting and compelling story of Mafia II is a result of a directed experience through the living city.

• Frainbart

Thanks Adam for your thoughts on this unique game narrative. I played the game because of your soapbox opinions and I am glad I took the plunge. Speaking as a veteran gamer with lot's of experience playing adventure games (story driven) and open world games like GTA, I really enjoyed Mafia 2.

In a gaming market, where sequels abound and the game worlds have the player take on roles of heroic epics, it was refreshing to experience a tight and narrow storyline. I loved how even though you successfully traverse a chapter, the end result was not always the best for the protagonist, and things just never quite work out for our Vito. What I found really unique was how I was expecting to be finish the mission with "best" possible outcome and I would advance Vito through the ranks, but everytime something goes wrong and things never come out the way I had planned it. This game is unique in its ability to capture the notion that average people (i.e. Vito) still have the same ambitions and dreams as extraordinary people (i.e. most video game heros); it's just that things just don't work out in their favor. And what I found surprising and amazing was that playing a low level gangster was still fun to play even though I never really saved the world, took over the mob family, earned lots of stuff, or achieved happiness or contentment in the end.

Posted: December 10, 2010 6:53 AM
    Frainbart
  • magusat999

You know how when a person makes a bad joke and then has to explain how it's supposed to be funny? Yeah - this game is like that in reference to the lack of freeplay or open-worldness. Fail, epic fail.

Posted: October 14, 2010 6:44 PM
    magusat999
  • suryu

lol watched 3 episodes of feedback the shortness of these vids makes it kinda ockward to get use 2

Posted: September 18, 2010 8:39 AM
    suryu
  • ArrenKae

Sounds like it worked well within its' scope. Keep in mind that doesn't mean they chose to limit the scope because a larger amount of content was equally viable. However, wisdom's shown by the team in its' restraint as they set out to produce a smaller work better rather than overextend themselves.

Posted: September 9, 2010 7:48 PM
    ArrenKae
  • zlo2

Incredible game.
    If you like games with a strong narrative and don't care for pointless sandbox (Red Faction Guerrilla, Crackdown etc. ), you'll love this game.
    I have never before seen such a beautifully realized, vibrant, living world in a video game before. The game's portrayal of the era is stunning. Combined with great music, top notch voice acting, intense action sequences results in a awesome experience that is Mafia 2.
    Great game all around!

Posted: September 7, 2010 8:46 PM
    zlo2
  • uggboots

China promotes sports to enhance the physical condition of its people; she is formulating policies to provide encouragement of this activity. She awards prizes to the excellent players for the best records both in china and the world. In the world the Chinese have become a strong people instead of the weaklings of East Asia .[url=http://www.uggshelf.com/ puoducts.html] ugg boots [/url]

Posted: August 31, 2010 12:47 AM
    uggboots
  • uggboots

Posted: August 31, 2010 12:46 AM
    uggboots
  • LeBigMac

I hate the controls. Can't there be a standard setup?

Posted: August 30, 2010 10:17 AM
    LeBigMac
  • hypra

i think the subject of : In The Mafia, What is Fun? ran across the table when creating this game. Then, how do we portray a realistic look in the eyes of this type of protagonist

Posted: August 29, 2010 1:39 PM
    hypra
  • sudas82

GTA sets the bar for these kinds of games and if you cant top GTA well then its just going to be a Renter game. The graphics are good.

Posted: August 29, 2010 6:31 AM
    sudas82
  • slimmer

Varity and options , this game is for some people and WoW is for other people, MW2 for others and so and so on ... options and varity , feel like going to the old west ? NY in the 40's 50's, the future, Fantasy, hobits ..... man video gaming is so good these days.

Posted: August 29, 2010 2:35 AM
    slimmer
  • slimmer

Games just keep getting better and better, helps to know that most games are being sold to adults, can only imagine what folks would really do with a game given not only unlimited resources but no censoring at all. (no holding back).
    Such beautiful in depth detail in games these days , especially with Mafia 2.

Posted: August 29, 2010 2:28 AM
    slimmer
  • poopshootbeatdown

I'm not even remotely interested in this game. Any else get the feeling of "MEH' when you look at the videos for this?

Posted: August 28, 2010 11:46 PM
  • StrongestSaiyan

In a way, I like the idea of what Mafia 2 does with it's version of open world. Having it be open but not much that the player wants to do other than missions is sort of like real-life. Yes, I can get in my car a drive around all day, but why would I want to? I'm probably only going to go out and do something if there is already something waiting for me. I'm not going to wander around and say, "Oh, look at that." Granted, I'm not sure how well that applies to games, but it is more realistic in that the world is sort of open, but not that much.

Posted: August 28, 2010 1:43 PM
    StrongestSaiyan
  • Fractalzend

I, for one, was not happy with Mafia 2. For a game 6 years in development it was lacking on every level with the exception of story and script.

Posted: August 28, 2010 10:43 AM
    Fractalzend
  • Dr.Spaceman

As always Adam your spot on! I loved the story in this game it was smart and realistic. Too bad the game was so short, great rental BTW. Best plot IMO since Mass Effect 2.

Posted: August 28, 2010 6:25 AM
    Dr.Spaceman
  • castle984464

what was the game that was playing behind adam in the promtion for sesslar's soap box? it was the won with the woman with the sword and she is fighting men in black suits with guns.

Posted: August 26, 2010 4:02 PM
    castle984464
  • skillsthatkills

Adam your review was great "a 5... out of 5"

Posted: August 26, 2010 11:53 AM
    skillsthatkills
  • paulthebest

Story telling mechanic reminds me of the Prince from PoP: Sands of Time.

Posted: August 25, 2010 10:05 PM
    paulthebest
  • DarkGamerOO7

I'm currently in Chapter 11 of Mafia II and I am loving it; is the game perfect? Not by a long shot I do have a good amount of issues with the game but overall this will be my second favorite game of this year. I think this game is miss understood, the open world isn't necessarily for free roam but to enhance the story and feel of the game which it does. I have a feel that a good number of people went into Mafia II expecting Grand Theft Auto: Mafia Edition. I really loved how the city was used in the game to fuel and set up the story; the story feels so much more believable and authentic because it takes place in a living, breathing, city that we see, live, and can interact with.

Posted: August 25, 2010 9:33 PM