Guild Wars 2 Gamescom 2010 Interview

Posted: August 23, 2010
Guild Wars 2 Gamescom 2010 Interview
Randy Price, the Senior Vice President for Global Business at ArenaNet, talks about the new dynamic event system, the new combat design, and new skills that players can build for Guild Wars 2.

Games in this Video:

Guild Wars 2 (PC)

• gaeowigaj

What's the music used in this video? Seriously, those songs are beautiful.

Posted: August 31, 2010 8:34 PM
    gaeowigaj
  • Consequences

I wish more companies would "take their time and step back" to get their games right.

this game is going to be sick

Posted: August 24, 2010 12:49 PM
    Consequences
  • crocodilius

its great to see there and say "its free to play online" until your ears bleed, except for the fact the whole thing is instanced, which your "free" posts fail to mention.

wtb thumbs down for being honest plz.

Posted: August 24, 2010 12:33 PM
    crocodilius
  • Atavax

dakka, i don't really care what anet claims, it is a very simple fact that it is more expensive to have larger amounts of people in the same area. just look at any fps. on the consoles, they are very limited to the amount of people that can play each other with most fps's because the developers don't want to spend money to make more expensive servers that can host a larger amount of players. He is full of BS if he says it didn't make the servers cheaper.

you are also wrong with the quest system you described never having been done before. In Warhammer online, there were public quests where there were no NPC's and once you completed one event, a new one would kick off.

i also never said it was like every other MMO. I am saying that every major MMO in development is also trying to improve questing, combat, and the class system whether thats GW2, FFXIV, POT, SWTOR, or TSW .(sorry if i missed out on any some of you are following) I don't know which ones will succeed and which ones will flop, but I am pretty sure, they will have a large impact on the future of MMO's. Yeah, GW2 has a new approach, but they all are nothing like their predecessors, they are all new approaches and they are all gambles.

Posted: August 24, 2010 12:07 PM
    Atavax
  • Thakker

WOW 2 will eat this alive.. just like what happened with GW1 and WoW. let the thumbs down ROLL!

Posted: August 24, 2010 10:12 AM
    Thakker
  • Species7

have been playing the original GW series for three years.It is IMO already the best MMORPG out there.Although the change to non-instanced play is worrisome,the rest of the changes are just incredible!
    Still no release date though Aarrggg!!

Posted: August 24, 2010 8:21 AM
  • plague102

Check out more on GW2 on the G4TV forums: http://forums.g4tv.com/showthr ead.php?p=2633137#post2633137

Posted: August 24, 2010 4:34 AM
    plague102
  • micrapple

Also check out Gametrailer dot com for a preview of the human starting point.

Posted: August 24, 2010 1:15 AM
    micrapple
  • micrapple

I'll take 2 copies plz. One Collector Edition and a regular one.

Posted: August 24, 2010 1:13 AM
    micrapple
  • Atavax

dakka; he basically just used buzz words without giving any real information... there being events that are dynamic is pretty much a standard in any new mmo. He said they focused on making combat more visually appealing, but again, what mmo company doesn't try to make combat visually appealing? and improving the look of combat from a old game is no difficult task. no real information. I don't think you could count him talking about how gw1 was a success as giving any real information. And seriously the art style of this game is the largest detractor of what i've seen of the game so far. I don't want to be a warrior and have a shield that looks like a bunch of feathers, like was shown in the video. i frankly, think its looks stupid. Its an asian style, but its a very poorly done asian style. its like imitation ff. and i'm not some ff fan trying to make the new ff mmo look good by trashing this one, i don't like any ff's after 6. and again vaguely saying that your choices affect your character is something that every triple A mmo in development is promising.

Posted: August 23, 2010 11:01 PM
    Atavax
  • Atavax

GW1 had no suscription but was heavily instanced which made maintaining the servers cheaper. this one is supposed to be open like most MMO's, so it should be much more expensive to maintain then the first one. the only thought as to how they keep it running for free is frequent expansions that cost a bit. Not saying thats what they're going to do, but thats my best guess.

Posted: August 23, 2010 10:52 PM
    Atavax
  • GAMEFREAKZ559

will you have to pay to play?

Posted: August 23, 2010 9:57 PM
    GAMEFREAKZ559
  • Cancersigns

Lets face it, The Old Republic is going to be like every other MMO except with an amazing story, space combat and the fact that it's star wars.

However if this game can walk the talk it's giving it's definitely going to be a worth contender for MMO players everywhere. And it's F2P for pete's sake!

Oh.. and WoW? It's just giving more of the same...

Posted: August 23, 2010 9:06 PM
    Cancersigns
  • Sundavar427

@Zzanzabar: Oh yeah its free after initial purchase. Definitely one of the best parts about this game. I forgot how they make money without a subscription. But I see what you mean. It does look too good to be true. And that might be a good thing. Kekeke.

Seriously. I've been waiting forever for this. Definitely a first day buy for me. Playing as a Sylvari Hunter should be fun. Unless another new class peaks my interest. I just finished the official Guild Wars novel that branches the two games and I'm more psyched than ever. I want to get a piece of Zhaitan.

I'm actually surprised this got a lot of attention considering we got nothing about this game back at E3. But I'm glad regardless. What I want to know is what the next five classes are.

Posted: August 23, 2010 8:58 PM
    Sundavar427
  • dakkadakka02

@crocodilius
    He actually said quite a bit in 6 minutes. talked about dynamic events and how it makes the questing more interactive, how the combat is more visually engaging, gave an example on the profession combo system, talked about the success they had with GW1, the art style is fantastic, and how your choices in the game shape your personal story right from the start with what cinematics you get.

Quite a bit of info for 6 minutes, and every point is backed by TONS of official gameplay if you had bothered to watch them. Not bad for a game that won best online game award at Gamescom OH WAIT!

Posted: August 23, 2010 8:37 PM
    dakkadakka02
  • Zzanzabar

For FREE? I just don't see this being a game that you buy initially without a monthly fee. Or did I miss something? I just looks too good and seems to hard to maintain if it gets the response I think it will.

Posted: August 23, 2010 7:44 PM
    Zzanzabar
  • dakkadakka02

finally! I was getting worried for a while there....... saving the best for last eh eh? wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more ;)

Posted: August 23, 2010 7:27 PM
    dakkadakka02
  • crocodilius

he basically said nothing for 6 minutes >.>

Posted: August 23, 2010 7:13 PM
    crocodilius
  • CujoSWAoA

Its realy going to be something. Most appealing MMO on the pipeline. Burns that thing that Bioware is making away.

Posted: August 23, 2010 6:01 PM
    CujoSWAoA
  • Nathiest

dude needs to pop that thing.

Posted: August 23, 2010 5:45 PM