Elemental: War of Magic Interview

Posted: August 16, 2010
Elemental: War of Magic Interview
Brad Wardell, President & CEO at Stardock, explains their new turn based fantasy strategy game, Elemental: War of Magic. Discover how the gameplay mechanics stands out from other strategy games and learn about the new modding tools.

• Apsalus07

Heck yes I played Lords of Magic to death (that's an inside joke), it remains my favorite game of all time. I've never played Master of Magic though, since I didn't start playing games till Lords of the Realm II (my very first video game, and prequel for Lords of Magic).

I remember back in those days you could just open your CD folder and drag out each in-game music file, which I did with Lords of Magic because the music in that game still gives me chills. That era in my mind was the Golden Age of PC Gaming, with new complex and thoughtful strategy titles appearing like Age of Empires, Red Alert, Starcraft, Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic, Homeworld, and of course the Lords series. At the risk of sounding like an old man, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

All we get now are twitch-shooters, twitch-fighting games, twitch-racers, and the virtual cocaine called MMOs (with some exceptions to those stereotypes I'll admit). All the complex games disappeared when video games became mainstream or in other words casual gamers were brought into the fold. I guess there's a lesson to be learned after all: casual gamers ruin it for us hardcore players. But I have a feeling you already instinctively knew that.

Sorry for the rant by the way.

Posted: August 20, 2010 8:44 PM
    Apsalus07
  • DownwithBigBrother

Dang, I was really hoping for a Lords of Magic sequel or something but still sounds interesting. BTW, has anyone played Lords of Magic

Posted: August 19, 2010 10:12 PM
    DownwithBigBrother
  • lfseeney

Not Budget, just not super high res graphics.
    The game will run on most machines and many netbooks should be able to play.

The game has more under the hood than most released.

Graphics do not make a game good.

Been in Beta from the start, there is a lot of play in this game, and everything is modifiable, and most of it with a GUI, not scripting.

If you want flashy no depth look elsewhere, if you want a deep game that can be expanded, by you and others, take a look.

Lee

Posted: August 19, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Arktek

I really enjoyed stardock's other games (sins of a solar empire, demigod, galactic civilizations), so I think I will have to check this one out too. It seems like theyre adding a lot of stuff to a genre that hasn't had any changes for quite some time.

Posted: August 19, 2010 10:41 AM
    Arktek
  • cheesypoofs

Sounds great, but I can't help getting the feeling of a budget title when I look at it.

Posted: August 19, 2010 9:23 AM
    cheesypoofs
  • dfalken

If you liked Master of Magic....and I LOVED it.... You will like this. I've been waiting for a new game in this genre for a long time. Since Lords of Magic... Even though Lords of Magic wasn't as good as Master of Magic, I still liked it. Elemental is going to be light years ahead of Lords and Master.... I can't wait.

Posted: August 19, 2010 8:04 AM
    dfalken
  • Ereboss

This game looks...interesting. I can't say that I'd love playing it 100%, but this guy did a fantastic job of making it look like a fun game to play. I might get it! :3

Posted: August 18, 2010 11:22 PM
  • Twohawks

I have been following this game for a long time.. I have been in the beta since beta 3.. All I can say is this is an exciting first step on a journey that Elemental:War of Magic can be.. With several add on paks and 2 expansions plus the promised commitment from Stardock for the next few years.. this is going to be a wild ride... Stardocks programing / game creation skills have combined with the writing skills of Random House Publishing truly may be the very next great thing in Strategy games for years to come..

Posted: August 17, 2010 4:43 PM