Feedback -- StarCraft II Edition

Posted: August 4, 2010
Feedback -- StarCraft II Edition
Adam Sessler is joined by Abbie Heppe, Matt Keil, Morgan Webb, and Brian Trinidad as they discuss about the biggest PC game ever, StarCraft II and their thoughts on the success of XBLA & PSN games. Get ready for G4tv.com's Feedback, it may get wild.

• suryu

lol nerds i don't play rts lol i just watch cause adam and morgan web.. yea don't pc games cost about ten bucks lol start any xbox or ps3 game for 10 bucks lol thank god i don't play fps so they can take their map packs and pack it some where else lol yea i only bought clots for my avatar streetfighter did it for me but i don't buy dlc so hay we all spend on some usless things that when the system go down ur purchase don't exsist i didn't play banjo kazooi becasue i had mario 64 and rares best game was not that golden eye perfect dark other than that nothing they need nintendo look at morgan go she knows her craft star caft that is lol um finaly hopefully they do it right i like the continuation of a game and not just some new crap like ocarina of time i wanted to continue with all ur upgrades and just get more..... what do u mean pc market if everyone that watches this show im sure evey one have a pc by now lol

Posted: August 15, 2010 1:16 PM
    suryu
  • ursa1979

I have tried to stick with feedback for the past few post exodus weeks, because I have been such a huge fan of the show. It was consistently fun, interesting and intelligent. But (thanks largely to Morgan) it seems to have turned into a jaded snark fest like most other games podcasts. I get it, you don't like Nintendo and "kiddie" games.

Abbie I kind of wish you left w/ Patrick and company, cause you are awesome. Speaking of which it is so sad that the show has not even acknowledged the people who left, and wished them well. Patrick was a major part of the show and unless he told them all off before he left there is no excuse for ignoring the fact that he moved on, or thanking him for helping create and elevate the show. It just seems childish.

Posted: August 12, 2010 11:19 AM
    ursa1979
  • R34L-G4M3R

The PC gaming subject although it seems to be over-addressed in some cases, I still find it necessary. This is most likely due to the fact that I started on PC gaming and am willing to fight to the death for it. I honestly don't feel like the companies like Blizzard, and Valve are almost like a saving grace to PC gaming. Yes, they do very well in the PC gaming community, but, in my honest opinion, the multi-platform games are also here, and they will most likely stay for a very long time. However, on the multi-platform subject, I don't know if this is just me, but it seems as though the majority of console ports to the PC, have cut corners or almost less effort put into them. An example of this would be some of graphical content on the PC version of Modern Warfare 2. Although yes, the textures are higher, as you would expect, but a lot of the environmental detail that was finely tuned in the console versions seemed to have been either removed or forgotten. As well as the lack of tracking your accuracy, and seeing how your friends stats match up to yours, however, that may be up to the steam platform.
    With all that said, I know a lot of people who don't even play World of Warcraft anymore, however, still use their PC as their preferred gaming platform.
    Most people will say that gaming on a PC is too much of a hassle because you always have to make sure that the game you just bought will be able to run, and run well on your system. As well as, it is more expensive to have a PC for gaming than a console. This may be and may be further than the truth. Statistically, getting a 360 or a PS3 at the current time will run you about $300, give or take. An average PC in the current time will run you between 600 - 800 dollars. Depending on what you're getting. Almost all computers in this price range contain a plenty fast processor and more than enough RAM. The graphics department for the computers in this price range however, is usually extremely lacking (unless you build the system yourself). Now, on to the point I'm trying to make. Almost everyone has their own personal computer, which they use for just about everything. Usually, if the bought the system in the last 2 years to the present day. Their system will have plenty of processing power, and RAM. The only missing component would be the GPU/Graphics card. Now, if you already have a PC like this, and would like to get a gaming console, that will run you about $300 as stated previously. However, many of the games available on the consoles (except their rightly owned exclusives) are available on the PC. Now, to buy an adequate graphics card that would run all the games that are also available on the consoles, that would run you between $100 - $200. Oh, and the high $150 cards, on average, will run the games better on your PC than they would run on their console counter-parts. The perfect example being the current 9800GTX + graphics card available on newegg.ca (that's right CANADA) for approximately $140. This would set you up with a gaming rig capable of running anything you throw at it no problem. Some games will give you problems at high resolutions *cough* Crysis *cough*, but to be honest, no game needs to run any higher than at 1080p, and anti-aliasing, is really just extra eye-candy that really isn't necessary.
    Now, on to the control differences. Yes, I 100% agree that a controllers thumb-sticks and better for racing games, than the PC's WASD keyboard format. However, you can purchase certain peripherals such as a steering wheel add on to your computer. A decent wheel add-on can be available for less than $100. So that would total the gaming costs to around $240 dollars for your gaming setup. Not too shabby, huh.
    One thing I did forget to mention above would be that the $600 - 800 computer may not come with a monitor... but neither does a console now does it? Hmmm... Well, I guess I can just plug my computer into this TV here... Yup. Your PC can also be plugged into a modern home television. Since, that wasn't calculated into the console price, it's only fair to leave it out on the PC side as well... right?

So, basically what I'm setting out to do with this, well... rant. Is to show that PC gaming is a completely valid option, and that it is no worse than console gaming, and in the case describe above, where you already own a modern computer, can be less expensive.
    Now all that's left is for PC game developers to either, no longer fear torrenting and accept it, or find a way to prevent it, without inconveniencing the loyal and faithful consumer. I won't really get into that issue, but I would say that regardless of all the torrenting on PCs, there is still an active market available on the PC, is other words, for all you game developers, $$$$$!!!!!!!!!

Everything that I have said above is mostly my opinion and thoughts on the matter. No need to attack me of flame me just because you don't agree. All you have to do is say that you disagree, and why.

Posted: August 12, 2010 10:48 AM
    R34L-G4M3R
  • Absydion

Adam, Jude's a really good novel. You should go back to it.

Posted: August 12, 2010 9:56 AM
    Absydion
  • Absydion

Is it just me, or is the volume control of the online video thing really annoying? If I multi-task (and I inevitably do when watching these) I frequently accidentally reduce the volume to zero.

Posted: August 12, 2010 9:53 AM
    Absydion
  • anubis_182

Whats going on with patrick?

Posted: August 11, 2010 7:40 AM
    anubis_182
  • SplodingPanda

just heard the news about patrick and andrew... feels like ive lost a part of me.. two parts of me actually.. *tear*

im surprised it hasnt been mentioned by anyone on feedback, patrick being one of the mains of the show and all.

Posted: August 10, 2010 4:30 PM
    SplodingPanda
  • MasterSamChief

POST THE GD PODCAST ALREADY YOU LAZY A HOLES.

Posted: August 10, 2010 2:39 PM
    MasterSamChief
  • iiTheSiickii

I have never played StarCraft. I should try it out.

Posted: August 10, 2010 1:27 PM
    iiTheSiickii
  • reltoolman

it's taking longer and longer for podcast to be posted for my droid... any reason!?!

Posted: August 10, 2010 1:22 PM
    reltoolman
  • Peatore

I have been without an internet connection for a month now. I haven't been on G4 for that length of time.

I've missed it greatly.

Now I must be off to download as much stuff as possible, as I will be without internet again in a couple of days.

Posted: August 10, 2010 12:27 PM
    Peatore
  • RottenRyan

The Battle.net network and the Steam Engine linking all your games together in a massive community is the key to the future of PC gaming. The PC gamers are glued to their computers in the first place because of their link to the massive social network of the internet without actually having to have human interaction. The ability to communicate with your friends despite what game they are playing seems revolutionary by encouraging us to create a loyalty to a specific game publisher such as Blizzard Battle.net system.

There is not a doubt in my mind that at least a 1/3 of the consumers purchasing StarCraft 2 are only purchasing it because of the advertising done through their WoW launcher. Battle.net is securing Blizzard's longevity in the gaming industry and insuring that PC gaming shall never die.

Posted: August 10, 2010 1:23 AM
    RottenRyan
  • DovinVespa

I'd like to see the space genre brought back for sure, but it raises a question in my mind what ever happened to Star Wars battlefront 3 wasnt it in planned production? I mean battlefront 2 had some decent space battle sequences and battlefront 3 was supposed improve on that further. Also Star Wars: The Old Republic I know will be allowing us to take part in space battles in the their realms. So I quess what im saying is if the space battles genre is going to be revived it will be by Lucasarts so I say get a representative from them in there and grill them till they tell us what there going to do (other than the much anticipated SWTOR) about reviving this much loved and sorely missed genre.

Posted: August 9, 2010 8:10 PM
  • FaroDemon

BTW get some coverage on Blizz Con please

Posted: August 9, 2010 2:09 PM
    FaroDemon
  • FaroDemon

Hahaha I can lose my turtle beaches too

Posted: August 9, 2010 2:07 PM
    FaroDemon
  • FaroDemon

Best RTS game ever sold is Alien vs. Predator Extinction. After a few hours the second level of the Alien campaign yes is still impossible but its a good game.

Posted: August 9, 2010 1:59 PM
    FaroDemon
  • Thakker

Theyre missing the point why bliz is keeping an eye on GalaxyMap editor.. the things you can do on it.. User accounts readily available..

Posted: August 9, 2010 11:49 AM
    Thakker
  • MasterSamChief

PUT UP THE GD PODCASTS ALREADY YOU LAZY A HOLES!

Posted: August 9, 2010 5:40 AM
    MasterSamChief
  • colveraki

Why is this show not being put on the zune marketplace anymore. This is the only way I know how to view the show on my zuneHD. Is this going to be permanent?

Posted: August 9, 2010 12:41 AM
    colveraki
  • fkain23

wow overt reference overlowd ow way now more sound efects?

Posted: August 9, 2010 12:02 AM