The MMO Report: Thursday, July 15th

Posted: July 15, 2010
The MMO Report: Thursday, July 15th
Casey drops some knowledge about Korea investing in TERA, Final Fantasy 14's beta test, and Uncle Casey's Mailbag.

• Irengard

Great Show. . only one left!

Posted: July 31, 2010 11:29 PM
    Irengard
  • hobomonk17

flipping awesome episode.... Very funny as always

Posted: July 24, 2010 9:39 PM
    hobomonk17
  • Nathiest

RealID = Real Sexual Harassment = Real problems for Blizzard. duh! Yes I was one of the main QQ'ers that put a stop to this stupid, stupid idea.

Posted: July 21, 2010 1:14 PM
    Nathiest
  • Deadalious

Regarding Real ID:
    The reason a majority of people play MMORPGs is due to the concept of escapism; It's a way for people to completely leave behind any real life issues, dramas or problems and take grasp of something amazing online. By adding REAL ID I guess It would feel odd being reminded every time you post that you're still yourself.

Another big problem like BSPrestonesq. said, alot of people play this game. Millions of people with literally every job I can think of, How would the famous people who have come clean about playing this game live? How would Mila Kunis be able to escape the rabid army of fanboys chasing her and writing fan-fictions about her?

People work in jobs where reputations mean quite a lot, I doubt a respectable lawyer, doctor, DJ etc. would like the world knowing they are a level 80 Warlock, It would be quite embarrassing... Sure I'm sure alot of people don't mind others knowing they play WoW but by implementing Real-ID they are really just locking out the minority who do care.

The Real ID Is just a step in the direction that nobody wants however I feel will inevitably be something that will happen down the road. Despite the criticism alot of ideas get, they still go ahead.
    DRM Is a shining example of this.

There are websites like ( www.pipl.com ) where finding people using first, last name or online alias is disgustingly easy. Identity theft, hackings and a plethora of other problems is merely a small facet of why Real ID is bad.

Posted: July 20, 2010 5:58 AM
  • HMBarop

hey there!.... one question: where the fudge did casey read about peter jackson being confirmed as "the hobbit" director?

Posted: July 19, 2010 2:19 PM
  • BSPrestonesq.

Regarding Real ID names on WoW Forums:
    I can not speak for others, but I personally have a career where reputation is important. A client may be less inclined to take my advice regarding very serious issues if they google my name and find me discussing min/max dps strategies or the ins and outs of warrior tank mechanics.
    Unfortunately there is a stigma associated with online gaming communities which could also damage my reputation and therefore my career. I'm not saying it's right but simply the reality of the situation. I play mmo's because they are fun and I participate on the forums to engage in intelligent conversation about the game (yes it does occur albeit sparingly) because that is fun too. What I don't wish to occur is have my game information alongside my actual career information. My life and livelihood are not games I play- WoW is.
    Do I reserve the right to berate someone for a grossly offensive or inaccurate statement? Maybe, not responding tacitly implies validation, but my academic and work credentials shouldn't be an issue in that discussion. Real ID would make it an issue every time I typed into forums. Some people have made WoW, or gaming in general their life, I have made it my hobby. Please respect that.

Posted: July 19, 2010 7:16 AM
    BSPrestonesq.
  • berador

APPLE APP???? Gief Android app pls f... appLE

Posted: July 19, 2010 6:02 AM
    berador
  • cizimizi

My reason for not implementing Real ID:
    Just because you could make fun of the trolls it doesn't mean the trolls can't use the same thing against you.
    Suppose you piss off a troll and he decides to get even with you, then he can perhaps find your phone number and post it on a website with a retarded community (like 4chan) and post a fake story about you to get people to harass you.
    So who do you think would win in this Real ID war, normal people? Or trolls who's sole pride is to harass other people?

Posted: July 19, 2010 4:32 AM
    cizimizi
  • Cypryss

As if Blizzard was going to do that.

There is a really simple reason why people don't want to be so personal when involving their personal identity when it comes to posting on forum boards of a video game site.

It's none of your f#$%^& business.

Posted: July 19, 2010 3:56 AM
    Cypryss
  • Petrushka

I have no problem with the Real ID system.

Posted: July 19, 2010 12:21 AM
    Petrushka
  • jmcc202

One thing I can't understand is how Guild Wars 2 flies so easily under the radar. They have steadily been releasing content and class announcements over the past few months that I think more than deserve a spot on The MMO Report. I hope you guys will be at gamescon this year, where Guild Wars 2 will have public demos and you will give us full coverage :D

Guild Wars 2 looks to be the most fresh and innovative game coming out before the end of the world in 2012 (hopefully), so we should all celebrate it and get the word out on the the MMO Report!

Posted: July 16, 2010 12:19 PM
    jmcc202
  • theJ7

FF14..really? - i guess i'll give it a go. RealID on forums is a good idea, mostly for the webmasters, and also it's a PR thing if a kid gets whailed on too hard and comes crying to the GMs. But I think it's more important for blogs and stuff like that.

Posted: July 16, 2010 10:44 AM
    theJ7
  • ZBrelsford

his nose is crooked

Posted: July 15, 2010 11:49 PM
    ZBrelsford
  • Revshawn

On the question of the Blizzard forums on why identity should be hidden instead of seeing your real name on every post.

"Um, to protect your identity? Duh!"

Posted: July 15, 2010 7:47 PM
    Revshawn
  • DamienHell

Casey you're upsetting Alfred!

Posted: July 15, 2010 7:34 PM
    DamienHell
  • Zoulz

The batman segment was pure genius. Thank you Casey. :)

Posted: July 15, 2010 6:49 PM
    Zoulz
  • Proxyfive

Finally you guys decided to cover a little bit of FF14. The show is called the MMO Report and FF14 is one of very few console MMORPGs it should be given more attention then what its getting now.

Posted: July 15, 2010 6:30 PM
    Proxyfive
  • littleb242

As always, good show fool

Posted: July 15, 2010 6:28 PM
    littleb242
  • Raisinbman

Real ID fiasco = People on Forums when they shouldn't be and WOW is wearing thin(probably until cata).

Hope that helps, Casey!