Fresh Ink Online: More Graphic Novels!

Posted: June 18, 2010
Fresh Ink Online: More Graphic Novels!
Fresh Ink Online's Blair Butler reviews graphic novels Scalped: The Gnawing, A God Somewhere, Incorruptable Vol. 1, I Kill Giants, Wednesday Comics, Afrodisiac, Stuck Rubber baby and Jonah Hex: No Way Back.

• indyjoel

Blair,
    Love the show. You do a great job. I have been watching for about two years even though I haven't been into comics for almost 20 years. Got back in earlier this year with Old Man Logan. Recently picked up Irredeemable and loved it. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted: June 22, 2010 5:46 AM
    indyjoel
  • Pizawle

Blair, you are too awesome.

I Kill Giants sounds amazing. Definitely on my list now.

I am waiting for Scalped to be released in HC. 'Tis really annoying how long it takes Vertigo to do that.

Posted: June 20, 2010 11:06 PM
    Pizawle
  • Fan4G4

Looking at the reviews for the Jonah Hex movie, No Way Back should've been the basis for it. I'm not sure if I want to watch it as a guilty pleasure. Let's hope the Hex featurette on the next DC dvd is better.

Glad that somebody else thought the Superman story in Wednesday Comics was 'meh'. Supergirl and Flash were my favourites.

Posted: June 20, 2010 8:22 AM
    Fan4G4
  • Keyboardczar

Blair, you are just a delight. Love watching your show and even when you do graphic novel week, you make it so much fun and nostalgic. keep it up.
    Also do you have any good recommendations for those who have read Scott Pilgrim? Ive read the books and I need more.

Posted: June 19, 2010 9:22 PM
    Keyboardczar
  • TxComicFan

Hi. Blair. Long-time viewer. Thought I'd comment for a change.

I started reading comics in ~1960 when I could pick up Archies, Gold Keys and Disneys. Read through the Superman family and Silver Age, the Marvel Lee/Kirby/Ditko era, undergrounds, the direct sale evolution, indies, the industry explosion, the industry implosion, etc. Still reading.

What is common across those eras ? That feeling when the words and pictures truly come together. It has to start with writing. Although I like pretty pictures, of course, they ring hollow after a while. But when a creator(s) uses the medium to its potential, and the combination of words and pictures has that multiplier effect, I just drop that comic for a second and go "wow - this is why I read comics."

Then I reread those pages, to regain that emotional effect. Then study the layouts, the panel construction, to see how did they build you to that point ? It could be superhero or not, the genre doesn't matter.

I continue to look for this. I can follow some writers and artists but that is not enough. What is out there that I am not reading ? I can't buy and read it all. Especially the big house superhero comics. And admittedly I don't gravitate to the cross-overs and events, and that wall of new comics looks somewhat indistinguishable at times.

But, to the point, you help sort it out. You help me find material that is very good and I would not be reading it unless I heard you talk about it. Walking Dead is one good example.

So thank you (and your production team) very much for adding value in a way that is very personally meaningful to me.

Posted: June 19, 2010 8:11 AM
    TxComicFan
  • longbowhunter

I'd like to checkout I Kill Giants. I've been curious about this comic for a while. Maybe I should give Scalped a second chance too. Something about the first trade didnt really do it for me.

Posted: June 18, 2010 5:28 PM
    longbowhunter
  • the_JediDragon

Hey Blair! Speaking of Graphic Novels, one of my favorite graphic novels has been re-released: Blacksad. Apparently, Dark Horse acquired the rights and they have released the three Blacksad stories in one volume. Picked it up, and I don't regret buying it again. Thank You for recommending it to me.

Posted: June 18, 2010 3:50 PM
    the_JediDragon
  • HG9282

I thought I might alert you on a problem with the RSS feed: since the merger of all webshows into one feed, some Fresh Ink episodes don't get inserted.

Some examples are:
    http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/b log/post/705383/Fresh-Ink-Onli ne-Nemesis-Echo-Secret-Six.htm l
    http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/b log/post/704376/-Fresh-Ink-Onl ine-Locke--Key-Ultimate-Avenge rs-Northlanders.html

At least for me this is quite frustrating, because I'm watching the show in Miro.

Posted: June 18, 2010 3:49 PM