Red Dead Redemption Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 Comparison

Posted: May 24, 2010
Red Dead Redemption Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 Comparison
Utilizing the exact same capture hardware and default brightness settings, we play back game footage of Red Dead Redemption in a split-screen fashion to compare the two versions of Rockstar's stellar game.

• izual1

I vote PS3, the painting, tree branches, and smoke looked better.

Posted: June 4, 2010 3:16 PM
    izual1
  • feeishkane

Does anybody who is not a fan boy really give a hoot? (can't say s and then hit) It is a great game on both systems nuff said

Posted: June 1, 2010 6:39 PM
    feeishkane
  • iiFaze

360 Version is just lighter.. No Big Deal, Lol

Posted: May 31, 2010 7:33 AM
  • danielb8219

The ps3 is the winner. I hate the washed out look of xbox.

Posted: May 30, 2010 8:51 PM
    danielb8219
  • edmoney

i own both systems and run them on the same tv and it is obvious that the ps3 has better graphics all around. you could argue that point but you would be wrong so dont. everything else like dashbord and such are all preference.

Posted: May 30, 2010 7:23 PM
    edmoney
  • Broheimer

I compared this video to the 360 version when I played it and the colors on my tv didnt looks as washed out as it did in this video and also other sites that has done this like ign and gametrailers shows that the 360 version has better detail, But really it doesnt matter the game is still amazing no matter what console its on even though the ps3 version has another outfit and gang hideout.

Posted: May 29, 2010 8:40 PM
    Broheimer
  • alivealie

This posted video comparison doesn't quite view accurately to me. I have the game on both consoles (the ps3 copy is my girlfriend's--I wouldn't buy it twice--but the point is I've seen them both in person, on the same HDtv, and I own and love both consoles). There are qualities to both versions that make them balance out quite fairly. The contrast and color look better on the ps3, but the sharpness and anti-aliasing are noticeably better on the 360. Draw-distance has been argued for both sides, but I would say that there is no way to tell with real certainty. It simply varies too much. Plus, it should be noted that the ps3 will adjust game resolution to 720p whereas the 360 can bump it all the way to 1080p. Looking at it with the naked eye, the differences are so minor. I prefer the 360 version's sharpness, but I'll always favor the ps3's controller. Bottom line: if you have both systems, get it on the one you prefer to play by default.

Posted: May 29, 2010 12:04 AM
    alivealie
  • Komodo

Sure you don't have those labels backwards? :P

Posted: May 28, 2010 11:13 AM
    Komodo
  • xander420

im back for more haha watch the chicken at the end of the race walk across the screen its like the chicken walks from beauty to not so beauty but this video quality is horrific and the person who posted this on g4 should be ashamed maybe when they were playing the game for 360 they should have lowered the back light and gamma maybe even the white levels (brightness)

Posted: May 27, 2010 11:07 AM
    xander420
  • xander420

oh and i used to love and d ride the xbox 360 before i got a ps3 i think its just because i was a hater and didnt want to admit the ps3 "does everything" but i do agree with everyone i think both systems look the same and i always used to think the aliasing is pretty bad on ps3 cuz u know thar jagged look you get on ps3 "wet" for example never seen such a bad graphical game for the ps3 in my life but yea people who usally say one system is worse than the other are just flames who dont have both system so go get some money honey and buy both systems enough said and im not trying to contradict myself if it sound like i am red dead looks awesome i just love gun for xbox 1 so im sure im gonna love this

Posted: May 27, 2010 10:58 AM
    xander420
  • xander420

yea i most say myself i think it might be a little better for ps3 i do have both systems running on a sony bravia 46" 1080p BUT my ps3 is hooked up with a sony hdmi cable and my 360 is hooked up with the old school hd component cables like u know the ones thar came with the pro system i didnt even bother using the sd cables that came with the elite which brings me to a different subject (whats up with that what happened to the hd cables coming with the systems the newer ps3s come with sd cables to now thats why i had to go out and buy a fing 50 dollar sony hdmi gerrr) anyway that could be it the fact that i got my ps3 all hooked up for perfection and my 360 is with an older cable but not to mention i have seen 360 hooked up with hdmi and i think the grayscale is kinda to bright but i agree with the guy who said scifi and stuff like that looks better on 360 cuz i have dead space for 360 and thats like the best graphics i have ever seen for the xbox beautiful game i still havent coped red dead yet maybe someone can tell what system i should get it for maybe ps3 cuz i dont pay for live

Posted: May 27, 2010 10:51 AM
    xander420
  • supabul

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/ news/2010/05/read-dead-redempt ion-360-vs-ps3-our-thoughts.ar s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/ showpost.php?p=21355476&po stcount=704

Check these out, and the second one show's pictures. Yes the PS3 version is bad

Posted: May 27, 2010 7:11 AM
    supabul
  • supabul

The quality of that video make's both version's look horrible, I played both on my TV and switched between them, the 360 version is better.

The PS3 is softer and muddy texture's, while the 360 has pin sharp textures like a maxed out PC

Posted: May 27, 2010 7:01 AM
    supabul
  • andycadaver

There's absolutely no difference when you play it on an actual HDTV and you're not watching a pseudo-HD clip of gameplay footage. The 360 looks gray, which I honestly don't know why if you actually use the correct image settings on your TV. While the brightness or contrast seems low on the 360, on the PS3 it seems to be having the opposite effect. The PS3 version seems to have amped-up contrast and color saturation settings, making the scenery and character models look rigid and darkly-lined. But this is all conjecture over a simplified video.

Doesn't matter a goddamned bit. Play the damned game. They both look and play jaw-droppingly amazing.

Posted: May 27, 2010 6:49 AM
  • jleack

I prefer the PS3's shading. Also, the free online and additional content is a big bonus!

Posted: May 26, 2010 5:08 PM
    jleack
  • Scarygamer94

If this isn't a hoax, then it only proves what everyone knows, the PS3 can handle slightly better graphics. Everyone knew that going in. The 360, in my opinion, is still better. It's like having a computer with Windows 7 and a great graphics card and processor (360), and a computer with Windows XP and a slightly better graphics card and little faster processor (PS3). I think I've made my point. (Yes, I think windows 7 is better than XP!)

Posted: May 26, 2010 5:04 PM
  • scribbles13

lighting in the indoor scenes seems better on the 360 but once it got to the horse race lighting looked much better on the PS3 so they both got their plus and minus.

Posted: May 26, 2010 4:35 PM
    scribbles13
  • F1avaDave

I get the feeling people are claiming that PS3 looks better because Marston and the horse spend most of the time on the PS3 side allowing you to inspect the detail. On top of that, the outdoor scenes are at different times of day with different weather giving the PS3 version higher contrast. Regardless, the game looks amazing on both systems.

Posted: May 26, 2010 3:30 PM
    F1avaDave
  • F1avaDave

Posted: May 26, 2010 3:29 PM
    F1avaDave
  • ninjamatt52

I actually prefer the xbox graphics, personally. The graphics hardware was designed under vastly different philosophies, so the graphics end up looking different. But they look different because they use different special effects. PS3 uses alot of bloom and gloss, Xbox360 uses alot of anti-aliasing and pixel shading (it's used for more purposes than cartoonish graphics). Xbox has had alot of updates to its max resolution, it's close to or equal that of PS3. At this point, side-by-side comparison results vary game by game. It's dependent on how well the game code utilizes the hardware. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. PS3 color and res. looks more realistic, which is better for COD and Heavy Rain, for instance. But it struggles to perform 60fps (runs fairly short of 60) and suffers from a high rate of torn frames if you go above 30fps. It has bigger disc storage, but the disc drive runs slow (sometimes it results in mandatory hdd install). Xbox 360's color and res. are slightly less realistic, but it performs 60fps better so the animation is generally more fluid and natural. Between anti-aliasing, pixel shading, and quality 60fps it's better at fantasy and sci-fi. The discs are smaller, but the disc drive runs faster. In the end, in my opinion, it all comes down to personal preference. I like xbox, you like playstation, and that's perfectly fine.

Posted: May 26, 2010 2:56 PM