Halo: Reach Generator Defense Map - Overlook Gameplay

Posted: May 17, 2010
Halo: Reach Generator Defense Map - Overlook Gameplay
It's Elites vs. Spartans in an all out brawl over the safety/destruction of strategically placed generators in the Generator Defense Map - Overlook in the Halo: Reach multiplayer beta.

• Alex Deckard

get rid of armor lock... plain and simple.

Posted: December 10, 2010 5:04 PM
    Alex+Deckard
  • ARTIZZLE

Holy crap, how many elites r there at 2:35! Fail at 1:47. How the hell can u die when the guy didnt even know where u were! By looking at this vid, i just saw how easy it is to play as an elite. At 1:58 the f*%#!ing grenade bounced off! Also at 4:45 that was luck and funny! THUMBS UP IF U AGRRED! Any ways, he game rocks and i love the new modes in LIVE.

Posted: October 18, 2010 2:11 PM
    ARTIZZLE
  • Troy5117

I really wish I could have played the beta but my xbox got the red rings like a week before it came out and then getting it back 2 days after it closed but the game seems really cool to me it looks like you can dodge now and then the rechargeable armor upgrades just look amazing to me

Posted: August 8, 2010 2:51 AM
    Troy5117
  • Troy5117

Posted: August 8, 2010 2:50 AM
    Troy5117
  • Fantasy Heart63

nice map but the players in that video are noobs

Posted: June 14, 2010 6:41 AM
    Fantasy+Heart63
  • Cathartic Denoument

As for whoever the player was on the vid..

OMG..
    ..No offense, but you're a total NEWB.

[Spartans]

[Charlie Generator]
    1.] You picked the Armor Lock loadout - WHY AREN'T YOU USING ARMOR LOCK?!? ITS YOUR FRIEND!!! [This goes for the 2nd Spartan segment too.]
    2.] Take the Sniper Rifle from the weapon drop & GO; no dilly-dallying.
    Go to the turret & DETACH it, then climb up the roof near the Charlie Generator & CAMP there.
    3.] Why'd you just let your partner die?! You could've double-teamed that Elite!
    4.] Why didn't you lock Charlie? You just let the Elite blast it with a rocket launcher!

[Bravo Generator]
    1.] You should've picked up the Needle Rifle on the ground, next to the dead Elite.
    You don't know how fast, powerful, & overall USEFUL that weapon is: it does a supercombine explosion that can damage whatever Elite is next to him.
    2.] Ever heard of CROUCHING?? Could've done that & just stayed near the door - keeping an eye on the radar, and shottying the Elite just as he enters the door.
    3.] Could've waited for the timer to reach past 1 minute before locking down the generator, that would've totally LOCKED the match for a victory too.

[Elites]
    1.] (Alpha Generator) - Who uses an ENERGY SWORD on a Generator!? Thats plain SUICIDE.
    Should've picked either the Active Camo-Needler loadout or the Evade-Needle Rifle loadout.
    2.] (Bravo Generator) - You totally could've taken BOTH Spartans with your grenades, Energy Sword & your Evade ability; why didn't you RUSH the fools?!?

[Spartans - Alpha Generator]
    1.] Why were you holding a shotty AND an Energy Sword?? You don't need TWO Close-Quarter Weapons. You need to balance out close range & long range!
    Pick up the NEEDLE RIFLE!!! ITS YOUR FRIEND!!!
    2.] Shouldn't have locked Alpha Gen so quickly; should've waited it out - thats why you lost it.
    3.] Pay attention to your radar; you just let the Jet-Packed Elite fly by you.
    4.] Should've activated your ARMOR LOCK between the plasma 'nade & Alpha Gen - that would've TOTALLY SAVED Alpha Gen.

Posted: June 1, 2010 3:34 PM
    Cathartic+Denoument
  • Cathartic Denoument

For my own experience with G-Def..

[On Defense]
    + Everyone should've been separately spawned at different spawn points for the initial match spawn, each one spawning at the spawn point closest to a generator.
    + The spawn point on the left of B-Gen., near the hole in the wall is a TERRIBLE spawn point; whereas, you don't spawn enough at the spawn point near it, just outside (closer to A-Gen), or any of the spawn points on the lower level of the building.
    + There are no spawn points (that I'm aware of) that are close enough to Charlie to be able to get there in time to save it (after getting killed trying to defend it).
    + The heavy machine gun turret near C-Gen. should've been placed on the roof of the shack right next to C-Gen. instead of being at the opening along the fence-line.
    + There could've been a better cover provided for Alpha (like the shacks near C-Gen. & Bravo), other than the boulders surrounding it..or at least another heavy machine gun turret for added defense (like the one near Charlie).
    + The C-Gen could've been placed INSIDE the shack that it was just right next to, instead of being out in the open.

[On Offense]
    + Most of the spawn point selections should've been placed well past the river, instead of them being very near the river, either before or after crossing the bridge.
    + The Needler should be switched with the Energy Sword for the Active Camo Armor Ability, and have the Needler with the Evade Armor Ability.

[For either side]
    + The ordnance drop-points should be clearly marked so there would be adequate warning for any unsuspecting player, before the ordnance drops.

Posted: June 1, 2010 3:27 PM
    Cathartic+Denoument
  • leon0202

ok this beta map thing is to see what we like and dont like. 1.they need to let all the flying thing be used by hand and the sky has no limit.

Posted: May 18, 2010 7:04 AM
    leon0202
  • miahdavis

3v3 was small. Plus it wasn't really that much fun. I experienced lag in this game type as well as all the other game types but, that's to be expected. It wasn't even a challenge when the weapon drop is at your spawn and all you have to do is grab a long range weapon and everyone just sit back at spawn and fire on 1 generator at a time. If the spartans just sit back and camp at the generators eventually they cant keep up. Pretty boring. Elite's weapons are trash and I can't count how many times I've melee'd over someone's head. IDK, still it's a good game. Lot's of fun to play and I'm really looking forward to the final release. There's still quite a few bugs to work out but, that's what betas are for!

Posted: May 18, 2010 5:29 AM
    miahdavis
  • Evimaki

This was a good gametype, it just needs to be balanced a bit. They should make it like invasion, where the teams unlock weapon loadouts as generators are destroyed, and make them harder to destroy. Either give them more health or add something that makes it a challenge to destroy even the ungaurded ones. Maybe a turret on the generators? Doesn't even have to be a powerful turret, maybe like a plasma rifle turret or assault rifle turret. That would be fairly interesting to see. Also, the elites do seem a bit over-powered, but seeing that their weapons do kinda suck, it balances them until they grab a human weapon. That is my biggest gripe with the beta ATM. Make it so you want and don't want to be the elites, like take away the elite's ability to use human weapons, so they don't rape everyone on the map. Or make it harder to aim for them, seeing as the weapons were designed for humans. I can't really think of anything else that I would add to the game right now, but a very good job Bungie.

Posted: May 18, 2010 4:58 AM
    Evimaki
  • EQUAL8317

Overlook looks to be a very visually appealing map and I'm almost sure that it would end up being a great map for another game type. That said, Generator defense itself, was a fun game type, albeit somewhat two dimensional. Generators A and C seem to be really easy targets, while generator B is easily defended. I know it's a beta test and therefore free and complaining just seems silly. All I am saying is that I hope that the fine folk at Bungie, decide to either change the placement of the generators or use this game on a different map. Thinking about it, Gen defense would probably be pretty good on Boneyard.

Posted: May 17, 2010 11:52 PM
  • thizzianabob

this the best the 360 has to offer..???hahaha...ps3 player in the house!!!there had to be one ps3 player up in this..

Posted: May 17, 2010 11:49 PM
    thizzianabob
  • Socrates'sMind

I thought it was a decent game type. All that is needed is good teammates. A group I joined up with pretty much rolled over our competition. The thing I noticed is that melee damage does more damage to the generators than actually shooting, blowing up, laser- ing, etc does.

Posted: May 17, 2010 9:27 PM
    Socrates'sMind
  • jungleman67

does anyone know about natal costing $200 dollars? If it is, I'm just getting a ps3

Posted: May 17, 2010 7:32 PM
    jungleman67
  • Your_Local_Ninja

he/she is good but why don't they use their armor abilities?

Posted: May 17, 2010 7:12 PM
    Your_Local_Ninja
  • Scalfer1

3v3 is kinda small, and there needs to be a longer cooldown between generator locks. the generators should also get more health cuz they go down rly easily. and the starting weapon loadouts are kinda cheap with each team getting like everything

Posted: May 17, 2010 6:58 PM
    Scalfer1
  • V_Translanka

Spartans get either Shotguns or Grenade Launchers...Where's the Elite alternative? Because Sword gets wiped out by either almost always...maybe I'm not using Roll well enough though. *shrugs*

Posted: May 17, 2010 6:30 PM
    V_Translanka
  • ZeroPlasmaPulse

Yeah. I agree. I felt a little bit of a Lag every now and then. Very fun by the way, after awhile it may be kinda boring from what I think. Also agreeing with Kevin. The Spartans should need a bit more strategy. It's going to be great to see more maps when the game comes out.

Posted: May 17, 2010 6:18 PM
    ZeroPlasmaPulse
  • KevinG4

I just wish the shield generators had a longer "recharge" before the Spartans can lock them up again. This would add some strategy, instead of just Spartans camping and relocking them (especially Generator B) every time it opens up.

Posted: May 17, 2010 4:57 PM
    KevinG4
  • illadelph

Yo THE GMAN you are right there I didn't play that game type with friends only because none of my friends wanted to play it they all said it was stupid but I wanted to try it and I had I hopes for it so I hope Bungie makes it better because like I said I think it has a lot of potential. But what you were saying about generator A being just as hard to take down as any other I strongly disagree! Every game I played as an Elite I walked up grabbed the rockets right after spawning and proceeded to blow up generator A b4 the other team or my teammate even knew what happened...but maybe thats just me or maybe I was also playing other unorganized players. Seriously though every single game I played win or lose (only lost once) was pretty much the whole game fighter over generator B.

Posted: May 17, 2010 4:46 PM