Sessler's Soapbox: Not So Fast, Obama

Posted: May 11, 2010
Sessler's Soapbox: Not So Fast, Obama
Adam takes President Obama to task over his recent comments about video games.

• Capxeno

I grew up on video games and computers, is my intelligence stifled because of that? I will leave that up to my friends and family to decide to remain without bias. The thing is that just like it is common to assume cartoons and comic books are for children, the same goes for video games. Now once you get into that mindset, anything that is not studying, sports, or normal social diversion the conventional view point is that you are ostracizing yourself from normal society. Video games for a number of adults I know means you are a no life nerdy kid, or a fat failure of an adult who couldn t let go of his childhood.

Here s the thing, that is a limited outside perspective that is not only a form of ignorance but a display of not doing research into the very topic you are discussing. Obama was probably did not write this speech, who ever did might want to turn in their two weeks notice. As far as my own opinion on the president, the jury is sleeping on that one.

Posted: August 18, 2010 11:16 AM
    Capxeno
  • 3dEN

Some people exaggerate the extent of damage video games can cause you need to have conversations with people that dosen't involve a keyboard or headset however depending on what game your playing you can really learn intresting things but not everything in games is true and it can really make you look stupid if you say something you learned in a game that isn't true the key to video games is moderation and try to expand your game library to more than just mindless hack & slash games

Posted: August 6, 2010 6:16 PM
    3dEN
  • JestCXVII

Games are an escape for me, but not from thinking. For instance, in Halo online, i use higher thinking to defeat other humans using probability and prior knowledge and common sense.

( recognize this happens in other games as well fanboys) For this reason, i have chosen to make a career out of creating things i love.

Adam- I am short on time but, i admire you as a human being.

Posted: July 6, 2010 9:46 PM
    JestCXVII
  • jedi151988

Right now I am an English major and I will be graduating in December. I enjoy gaming for the story element and game game play. If it does not have a good story, I won't be that interested but I may continue playing just because I've started. Moving forward, I have learned a few things from playing games. I learned historical information by playing Assassins Creed 2 and how to score tennis by playing Mario Tennis just to name a few things. With them and other games, I can apply what I learn to everyday use or look more into a subject to fully understand it. For me, games are helpful. its because of them (one of many reasons) that I'm in school to get my education to be ready for the world. Games take us to places that some of us can only dream of going or even doing like searching for treasure (looking at you Drake) or fighting criminals like Batman. They motivate us by showing things people deal with and overcome to become the person they want to be. I know that I want to get into the video game industry and review games like Adam, but in order for me to do that, I know that I need to get my education. Without it, I can't do what I want to do.

Posted: June 1, 2010 2:30 PM
  • ASS-ASS-IN

Assassin's Creed is very educational.

Posted: May 30, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Laenaria

For me, I enjoy gaming for the story and the experience. I get to enter worlds that don't really exist and I also get to meet people, when playing MMOs, that I normally would never have the chance to meet. I tend to think of a number of games as stories like what you'd experience reading a book; however, playing a game involves different skill sets and parts of the brain than reading a book does.

Posted: May 25, 2010 3:07 AM
    Laenaria
  • RedRum425

I would just like to make a comment one the zombie part of the speech (even though the rest of the speech was just as good) the point that when they heard that zombies are real and they where preparing to go to that part of the world and take them on is what i call the highest point of gaming. the fact that no one in there right mind would do such a thing, the ones that havent seen any form of battle would be to scared to do anything about it, however through video games it can give the confedense needed to take on in that case a zombie hoard. sometimes we look at video game characters as something to aspire to, to become that cool collective person, or the cold as ice bad guy.

Posted: May 19, 2010 1:17 PM
    RedRum425
  • advent-seph@hotmail.com

I highly doubt the idea that games lack accidental learning. Even in mindlessly violent games such as God of War a player tends to learn about not only the Greek Gods and their respective mythology but also Hand-Eye coordination and quick responsiveness. Gaming literally heightens our senses where we need it most.

Games such as Brain Age take it a step further and just revolve around learning. Now these may not go mainstream but they are still excellent games to get for first time gamers as it sets a mindset in the child of what type of game they play from then on.

Even Car racing games which lack a plot most of the time still help gamers better understand how to control a car, especially with Gran Turismo. In a summary, anything with or without a plot is a learning experience, whether minor or major. I say this because at the ending Adam Sessler states it would be good if Gaming took the next step into accidental learning, I believe it already has.

Posted: May 18, 2010 10:15 PM
  • reaganomics83

I think the real problem has to do with most of the general public still regarding videogames and consoles as toys. They still think Mario, DigDug, etc. The videogame industry is so much more than that now. The industry is over 30+ years now. This means that the industry has grown to serve those more mature interest. The word videogame is really obsolete in today's climate anyway. It's really video entertainment, just like movies. Today's game are more complex than they have ever been and not just graphically. Games like the Mass Effect series and Heavy Rain require players to think critically about decisions made becuase they can drastically affect the outcome of the experience. Titles like the Metal Gear Solid series and the Uncharted series have ties to historical and scientific facts. The Metal Gear series uses events like the Cold War, the Manhattan Project, and the Cuban Missle Crisis in its plot points. Metal Gear also references chemical substances like sodium pentothal and scientific topics like gene therapy as well. Uncharted uses real historical references like Sir Francis Drake and Marco Polo. So there is alot that can be learned from video games, or should i say video entertainment. Education is paramount and should be taking seriously, but gaming isn't just this brain dead action. Just like anything else, most of this starts with parents. If parents instill the importance of education in their children at an early age, the thirst for education and learning new things will be there. If that's there, then it will be difficult for gaming to ruin it. I believe Obama's statements were more political than his true feelings. We all know he has to watch everything he says because it will be heavily scrutinized on CNN, MSNBC, etc.

Posted: May 17, 2010 2:39 PM
    reaganomics83
  • CloveZombie

First I'd like to say that I am a huge fan of gaming and education; if we could teach real world skills in world of warcraft 12 million people would be all the better for it, some of us could pass doctorates.

Looking at what I like about gaming i have to say there are 2 things that stand out, first is the artificial sense of accomplishment (have 9 level 80s) and truthfully I enjoy the problem solving. It takes some thinking to try and get a group of blue geared alts thru content you just did with mains in t9 and better gear.

10 and 25 content with people who have a 5k plus gear score is not a challange, a 3k gear score is.

Posted: May 17, 2010 9:09 AM
  • EnderG715

Am I the only one that is taking the stance that any time information is removed, changed, or not as easily accessible that it is a bad thing?

Now I am not one of those deranged people on the far right since I actually think rationally. But I am a firm believer that knowledge is power. You remove the ability to acquire knowledge or make it more difficult to achieve, will send everything we have ever known into caos.

Posted: May 17, 2010 8:35 AM
    EnderG715
  • comicforhire

Dear Adam,
    I am going to say something many others have been saying. Why has G4/Tech/TV changed so much. I think if G4 is going to keep there name they should live up to it. TV for gamers or else the name might as well be called E! lite. I'm not trying to be rude in anyway. I just want to know, why not bring back shows like Arena, Filter and Reviews on the Run/Judgment Day(Which still shows in Canada. Most new episodes on their website). Plus some shows could only improve! Imagine a show like Portal. Now that we have WOW, Guild Wars and the upcoming APB. Also Cinematech show gameplay of the new releases that week. It would be a dirt cheap show to make. Cheat as more than just a segment. Filter? That would be great. I currently settle for the top seven at games radar. However, I would love to see a whole show. Also G4tv.com, that's just Feedback on TV. You already do it! Why not put it on television? Also not going to completely leave out TechTV. Why not bring back call for help? Adam I bring all this up because I have been watching TechTV and G4 since I was 10 and twelve. I remember watching all these shows and knowing that if it was past 8 AM I could always rely on one of the networks to entertain me. However as the years go on and shows like cops and cheaters are put on the network I find it harder to get game info on TV. Making me turn online for it. So Adam, my question is. Do you like the way G4tv is going? Do you like any of these suggestions? Do you have any fond memories of G4tv? I would understand if you don't seeing as how until 2004 it was a competitor.
    From your humble fan,
    Keaton Dean

P.S.
    It really hurt you to give Killzone 2 a five huh? Just kidding own a PS3 and 360 and I love them both equally.

Posted: May 17, 2010 7:40 AM
    comicforhire
  • moviedude33

I agree Adam. Games give certain audiences a great experience, weather its a first, person shooter, a third person game, an MMO, or RPG. For example, I hate mw2, but i love God of war

Posted: May 17, 2010 12:23 AM
    moviedude33
  • pequin23

Mr. Sessler I really hope you read these, I just saw a really interesting video from ted.com a lady named Jane McGinigal talked about gaming and wondered if you had any thoughts, maybe do an episode about it?

http://www.facebook.com/l.ph p?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ted.com%2 Ftalks%2Fjane_mcgonigal_gaming _can_make_a_better_world.html& amp;h=2a270

Posted: May 16, 2010 10:34 PM
    pequin23
  • MaceMan2091

Big Brother wants to be your Big Daddy! xp

Posted: May 16, 2010 9:58 PM
    MaceMan2091
  • mattwalker

Adam Sessler is just the man, yo.

Posted: May 16, 2010 7:22 PM
    mattwalker
  • Miloshock

@jmare I don't think saying everyone should get a college education is ludicrous, in fact that's not the point being made. The opportunity for someone to receive said education is what is important. I went to a nice small private high school on 3rd street in L.A., it was my junior year and the archdiocese decided to close it down. That absolutely shut my systems down for a long while, not just because it was MY school, but the fact that all other private schools were either in a distant city requiring hour long drives in the mornings or resorting to public school, no offense intended.

The budget crises is making it damn near impossible for equal opportunity for entrance to the higher education system. It went from being academically competitive to financially demanding and restraining. If you don't have the thousands of dollars to not only pay tuition, but pay for books and all other expenditures your pretty much SOL if you don't have financial aid or scholarships.

____________________________ ______________________________ ___________

Now talking about games and their contribution to the tiny ones. Its like the comment cjtiger300 left. I started playing games before i started kindergarten, i would play my games, in moderation of course, before and after school and I believe that doing that helped me out a lot with my spelling, grammar and thinking critically. Playing games is deeply underrated, my academic success is intertwined with playing games through my life, though keep in mind I was playing things like Tiny Toons on NES, Pokemon and Banjo Kazooie. Oh banjo and your funny talking noises, those were good times.

Posted: May 16, 2010 1:02 PM
    Miloshock
  • Lov3ly

i finished my last semester of high school at el sereno haha

Posted: May 16, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Lov3ly

i went to el sereno for my last semester of high school haha amazing.

Posted: May 16, 2010 4:35 AM
  • hihi100202

I agree with Adam, games can be for experiences we might never have. Like being a green super solder or a guy in a red hat. I don't own any red hats with Ms on them.

Posted: May 15, 2010 10:40 PM