Tech Junkie: PlayOn Streaming Software

Posted: May 10, 2010
Tech Junkie: PlayOn Streaming Software
Morgan Webb and Blair Herter give you all the details on PlayOn Streaming Software in this edition of Tech Junkie. Find out how to stream movies from you PC to HDTV.

• Krogoth117

Lol PC only?

Good... I know how to hook up my computer to my TV for less and I can play games, everything that POS can and I can use a keyboard instead of an Xbox controller.

Posted: May 13, 2010 6:07 AM
    Krogoth117
  • SirCitadel

im actually thinking about getting this while its a 20 spot. mostly for hulu. im surprised that theyre even allowing this, because where as netflix tries to get on every device possible, hulu has always restricted everyone from watching their programming on anything other than their site.

Posted: May 12, 2010 11:58 PM
    SirCitadel
  • Noosebound_Ned

Maybe it's just me, but this felt a little...commercial? I don't know, I was expecting more of a review for the actual product and less just airtime for it. Everything you went over is something I already know, where is the evaluation?

Posted: May 12, 2010 1:55 PM
  • lone0001

Tbh, I find the audio quality of playon isn't all that great, if you want something like this that works a lot better (imo) and is free, check out Orb (http://orb.com). It also has an app for the iphone too.

PS. Not the best place to advertise this but I just thought I'd mention it ;)

Posted: May 12, 2010 1:48 PM
    lone0001
  • mlyonsd

do you need your console to be on to watch on your tv? :/

Posted: May 12, 2010 1:21 PM
    mlyonsd
  • idtirba

Hey uh... why not just connect your computer to your television manually?.... I mean... unless you have close to an archaic television or older... it's really not that hard at all...

Posted: May 12, 2010 1:15 PM
    idtirba
  • crwatkins

Playon actually works on 360, PS3. and is currently beta on the Wii. They have added a bunch of features and have been talking about adding even more features as the year goes on. They had streaming March Madness content and added MLB.tv beta support in recent patches as well.

One thing they didn't mention on the video is that you can use this to stream local media (i.e. stuff you've ripped or downloaded) to the devices as well. So if you want to go digital, you can rip all your DVDs onto the computer's hard drive and watch them anywhere in the house that has a supported device.

It's a great app to have for people that want to run a media server and stream stuff all over their house.

Posted: May 11, 2010 10:22 PM
    crwatkins
  • tylerstravis

I told them to go F themselves when they said they had no plans to support this with a mac server.

Posted: May 11, 2010 11:16 AM
    tylerstravis
  • DarthHerter

don't the ps3 do this already wow 360 you are so late to the party. i have been watching shows on my ps3 online since i had one, movies, and everything and i have netflix . this is for the 360 alone ps3 owners don't need this at all/

Posted: May 10, 2010 5:59 PM
    DarthHerter
  • seeit360

Hey Tech Junkie! PlayOn is NOT just for the XBox. The same program feeds the PS3, Wii and todays generation of DLNA players (EVA 2000, WD Live,...), so you can get Netflix on devices that don't have a Netflix disc or a built-in interface. Also, it is currently $19.99, and a $5 for the first year subscription, if you get it before the May 20th cut off deadline. After that it is $40 and a $20 a year subscription.

The subscription allows you to get the next tier of channels beyond Hulu and will be released in July I've heard. Then there is the channel plugins and scripts. Really. It's a no brainer for a gaming console.

I've been using it for over a year, so I'm amazed it took the G4 team so long to expose this kewlest of programs.

It even had a write up in Popular Science as 100 best for 2009.

PlayOn rawks.