Transformers: War for Cybertron Hands On Preview

Posted: May 4, 2010
Transformers: War for Cybertron Hands On Preview
Matt Tieger from High Moon Studios talks to X-Play's Abbie Heppe about the upcoming game Transformers: War for Cybertron. See new gameplay footage, learn about the origin story that influences the game, learn about mechanics, combat and more.

• Cathartic Denoument

OhhhMyGAME!!

The more I see of this game, the more I WANT IT!!!

[BOO for the pre-order exclusives though..I want both Shockwave AND Jazz!]

Posted: May 11, 2010 9:17 PM
    Cathartic+Denoument
  • Bucx

all in all it looks like a good game, if the story line is messed up then lets prey that the game play is up to part other wise we will be looking at another Transformers flop

Posted: May 6, 2010 1:21 PM
  • heavenscloud001

I cannot wait for this game... preordering later this week

Posted: May 6, 2010 7:10 AM
    heavenscloud001
  • Intangible_Cog

@BoydofZINJ
    WOW... I didn't know all of that; shows how much I know. I just liked playing with the toys when I was a kid. I've also seen many of the original (Americanized) versions of the cartoons, so I only knew what info I got from those.

Posted: May 5, 2010 10:58 PM
    Intangible_Cog
  • DivineSam

i think its better because u can costumize your TRANSFORMER

Posted: May 5, 2010 7:15 PM
    DivineSam
  • BoydofZINJ

And that Jetfire was a Defector... not sure what a dector - Jetfire might have been a dector, though (what ever it is) (Sorry for typo).

Posted: May 5, 2010 5:44 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • BoydofZINJ

Ok I guess I am the only nerd who realized ... the history he described is not G1 Transformers 80s cartoon. The autobots really had no flying units in the 80s cartoon initally. Jetfire was a dector who was a Decepticons (Starscreams friend) and a scientist.

In the original U.S. cartoon line, Autobots were the descendants of a line of robots created as consumer goods by the Quintessons on the planet Cybertron. Their bodies were forged by the Plasma Energy Chamber and given intelligence by the mega-computer Vector Sigma in order for the work to be carried out. Eventually, they developed sentience and rebelled against their creators. However, A-3, the resistance leader was displaced from time by Quintessons from the future in order to stop the insurgency. The resistance had help from future Autobots.

With the Quintessons cast off and forgotten, Cybertron was at peace. The consumer goods and military hardware bots renamed themselves as Autobots and Decepticons. However, the Decepticons wanted war. No match for the superior firepower and battle prowess of the Decepticons , the Autobots developed transformation technology (possibly with the help of the Dark Guardians) to win the war, bringing about the Golden Age of Cybertron. Eventually, the Decepticons also developed transformation and began the third Cybertronian War.

Now let us talk about Optimus Prime... The original Optimus Prime transforms into a cab over truck. The truck's cab transforms into the robot mode of Prime himself, with vast strength and armed with a laser rifle. Contained within his chest is the mystic talisman known as the Autobot Matrix of Leadership (or Creation Matrix, depending on the continuity), carried by all Autobot leaders and passed down through the ages.

In the cartoon continuity, it is unknown from whom Optimus inherited the talisman, as Optimus is already named as a Prime when Alpha Trion rebuilds him from his former self which appears to indicate that Alpha Trion may have given Prime the Matrix at that point, just after the transformation of Orion Pax into Optimus Prime. This change is depicted in the G1 episode War Dawn. So Optimus Prime was Orion Pax before being called Optimus Prime, in the G1 cartoons.

For five million years, the Cybertronians warred over the remaining energy that was left. With this crisis, the Autobots, headed by Optimus Prime, made an expedition to find new energy sources. But the Decepticons intercepted them, causing the Autobot ship Ark to crash-land on Earth.(During the next four million years the Beast Wars Occur on Earth while the G1 transformers were in stasis or deactivated until the 80s.

The Michael Bay movies introduced the "history" of the word AUTOBOTS. The word "Autobot", according to live action movie Ratchet, is an abbreviation of the phrase Autonomous robotic organisms, making it seem like Autobot is likely the Transformers species name in this continuity (the irony being that the term robot is derived from the Czech word "robota" for 'work' and thus expresses the opposite of autonomy).

Posted: May 5, 2010 5:43 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • Intangible_Cog

@Followthisbeat
    Thanks for clearing up the confusion. My bad; I wondered why he said decepticon boss.

Posted: May 5, 2010 4:42 PM
    Intangible_Cog
  • ezeraeze

Wow, actually looks great. LOL! Wasn't really expecting it to look this good

Posted: May 5, 2010 2:50 PM
    ezeraeze

RE: Intangible_Cog

He didnt say Grimlock was in the game at all, what he said was that Trypticon, The Decepticon T-Rex/Space Station is in the game.(go here if you want to see a picture --> http://www.toybin.org/search.p hp?q=1986+Decepticon+Trypticon ). So no that was not a flaw. He was also talking about the giant boss charicters that were representing each faction (Omega Supreme for the Autobots and Trypticon for the Decepticons).

Posted: May 5, 2010 1:06 PM
  • mcthor

This game looks awesome I hope they have good controls.

Posted: May 5, 2010 1:02 PM
    mcthor
  • oldschool6239

Two days before my birthday "oh yea" my wife better get me this. LOL

Posted: May 5, 2010 12:52 PM
    oldschool6239
  • Intangible_Cog

^^About the T-Rex battle^^ The reason I broght that up is because He said the game is based sometime near the end of the war; so that boss battle wouldn't work in the actual lore. But still, this game sounds awesome, and I'd love to play it.

Posted: May 5, 2010 11:37 AM
    Intangible_Cog
  • nikolijobes

The environments look unsettlingly similar to "Too Human:" large, mundane hallways that are inevitably filled by *smeh* enemies.

They definitely seem knowledgeable (and hopefully committed) to the canon. Then again, that didn't save Star Wars: The Force Unleashed from being middling entertainment.

Posted: May 5, 2010 11:34 AM
    nikolijobes
  • Intangible_Cog

You're definately on to something there Cikeo. Before Earth they were hovercrafts and spaceships. It wasn't until they landed on Earth when they copied human vehicle tech. But I think we can forgive them for such a minor flaw. As for his mentioning of the boss fight with Grimlock the T-Rex, wellll... The dinobots actually came to Earth sometime during the begining of the war, so that's another flaw I noticed.

Posted: May 5, 2010 11:33 AM
    Intangible_Cog
  • XwingVmanX

One thing that is worrying me is the fact that when discribing the game he related it to Call Of Duty and God Of War, both good games, but it makes me wonder how good their game is if they are trying to recreate aspects from other games. I mean they could pull it off really well, but on the other hand they could completely fail.

Posted: May 5, 2010 10:55 AM
    XwingVmanX
  • BONERJAM

It looks good but I wouldn't mind a demo.

Posted: May 5, 2010 10:52 AM
    BONERJAM
  • XwingVmanX

The only thing that sucks is there wont be a sequal no matter how good the game is lol

Posted: May 5, 2010 10:47 AM
    XwingVmanX
  • The_US_Assassin

So a Transformer game that might actually be good? im stocked please keep us updated.

Posted: May 5, 2010 10:40 AM
    The_US_Assassin
  • cikeo

If this is pre-Earth why do they turn into cars? Not a big transformers fan so I probably missing something

Posted: May 5, 2010 10:20 AM