Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Developer Diary

Posted: April 23, 2010
Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Developer Diary
BioWare developers provide a complex video documentary on the MMORPG combat within the world of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

• Sofix

That senior game designer looks like Timmy from south park.

Posted: May 1, 2010 10:55 PM
    Sofix
  • rgroverpdx

Man the animations in that video are horrible. Its blocky, about as smooth as gravel. Im a first year game design student and if i made animations like that for a school project id get an F. Disappointed big time, hope they can get better animations by launch.

Posted: April 30, 2010 7:33 AM
    rgroverpdx
  • Tylerbear

50% of the classes are Jedi and Sith combined. it is GOING to be a Jedi / Sith fest, yes the other classes will be played but i gurantee you the balance will be staggeringly in favor of jedi and sith characters. the should have called this game "The Force Online" because that's what it's going to be. i had high hopes for this game until the made melee force classes and caster force classes.
    oh and how they keep touting that each story will be different that may be so but they say they have 8 unique classes but they don't. they can't, one side cannot have a class that isn't on the other. the fans on the SWTOR boards don't seem to get that just because the same class or play style has a different name means it will be totally different than it's counter part.

it wouldn't bother me so much if BW would just admit they have four classes and stop trying to make it sound like they have more than they do. a class is a play style how the character fights it's way through the game. there are four classes and eight apparently different stories.

it's doubtful i'll play this game at first. but as i said in the forums this game won't have much staying power simply because of the way they've laid it out and how they've done the classes.

jedi knight > sith warrior
    jedi councellor > sith inquisitor
    imperial agent > smuggler
    republic trooper > bounty hunter

and finally they are calling it "Your Saga" which is BS because while i can choose how the story goes it's still a themepark game which does not cater at all to a story of my own. they marketed SWG as "your adventure" and it really was for a time until the NGE came along and ruined everything. Julio Torres should not be making games. the ol bait and switch really pissed me off. dangled Trials of Obi Wan in front of the players only to dramatically change how the game functioned...very seedy and underhanded business practice.

Posted: April 26, 2010 11:16 AM
    Tylerbear
  • d3stroyer427

Sry for the double post. Internet froze up =(

Posted: April 25, 2010 2:49 AM
    d3stroyer427
  • d3stroyer427

I will play anything that lets me be Mandalorian! Please put the Mandalorians in this game...please....

Posted: April 25, 2010 2:49 AM
    d3stroyer427
  • d3stroyer427

Posted: April 25, 2010 2:48 AM
    d3stroyer427
  • cikeo

instant gratification=weak mmo. Whatever happened to the games where you actually had to play your character to be good. PreCU, original ultima online....these are true mmos

Posted: April 24, 2010 6:46 PM
    cikeo
  • scorpian876

What!? Jedi and the Sith are the meat and potatoes of Star Wars! George Lucas needs to pull his head from his rich but hole and make more Star Wars movies !

Posted: April 23, 2010 4:38 PM
    scorpian876
  • mrpandaman27

Bounty hunter like Jango and Boba for me... I like ranged combat more and being more clever... not to say that Jedi/Sith can't be clever.

Posted: April 23, 2010 1:39 PM
    mrpandaman27
  • Wildcard273

I can't wait for this game. I think Bioware knows what they're doing and they aren't going to let the fans down at all. I'm sure the game will have it's hiccups or balance issues, all games do, but over all, they appear to have put together a very good game that fans of all skill/commitment levels will be able to enjoy.

I wish they would release the specs on the game so I can start saving my pennies for upgrading my computer.

Posted: April 23, 2010 12:29 PM
    Wildcard273
  • wootman69

I've never played an MMO for fear of getting hooked (not having a good computer doesn't help me either). This game looks beyond intriguing, though! Perhaps I'll finally break...

Posted: April 23, 2010 12:23 PM
    wootman69
  • Cancersigns

In all the mmo's I have played, the only reason I would do a quest was to receive the rewards upon completion of said quest. This is the only mmo that has got my excited for the journey itself unlike most games where I just skip all the text so I can kill X amount of enemy B, claim reward then rinse and repeat.

Lots of games allow you to create characters but very few allow you to develop them. That is why I <3 Bioware.

Posted: April 23, 2010 11:34 AM
    Cancersigns
  • oncetoomany

this combat looks like its suppose to be on the PS2..nothing outstanding about it. Blade&Soul, now that is an MMO full of originality, can't wait for it!

Posted: April 23, 2010 11:29 AM
    oncetoomany
  • XwingVmanX

I am worried that a Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior will be under powered. Since basically every class except them is a ranged class. So while everyone else is trying to keep their distance, your the only class trying to close the gab. You will probably have force jump, but I am sure there is a cool down to how many times u will be able to use it.

Posted: April 23, 2010 11:27 AM
    XwingVmanX
  • Justa x Hustle

I'll be honest, the combat is as "stunning" as is possible for a MMO. It doesn't look as "stand in one position" as many other MMO's. With that said, Its not really the combat that is a selling point to me for an MMO, its the story as well as the character development and engagement.

If I don't feel like I'm the character I'm playing...it slowly becomes any other game during the solo play, which in most MMO's consists of early missions and grinding. The thing about SWTOR that makes it appealing is their statement that anyone could play the "whole" game solo and have a very gratifying experience.

Other than that...game looks nice.

Posted: April 23, 2010 11:16 AM
    Justa+x+Hustle
  • bunnyglomp

Right.
    "This game isn't just geared towards people who are looking for a fun time with friends raiding etc. It's geared for people who want to play by themselves"

If i wanted a MMO where i played alone but the others that are online are simply there for taking up space and to make it seem like a real world, i would play .hack again. I pay to play with people. I dont pay a monthly fee to play by myself, thank you

Posted: April 23, 2010 11:15 AM
    bunnyglomp
  • ChrisHero22

The things they are talking about which you don't see in other MMO's is the combat that makes you feel like you are in control. No matter which way you look at it, the combat isn't going to be as impressive as a God of War or that type of feel. The game doesn't play that well. But on the same page it plays very different than a WoW or that type of MMO.

I have played various MMO's even though I am not a fan of them, I have tried them. The combat in those games is so simple. Move up to an enemy, click a button, watch the same animation play for the same attacks. Although TOR looks to be doing something similar, you can fight multiply enemies at a time, you see various animations for lightsaber combat. I think what you fail to understand Bunnyglomp that this isn't "other" MMO's. An excuse for grinding? This game isn't just geared towards people who are looking for a fun time with friends raiding etc. It's geared for people who want to play by themselves. If you want to play by yourself, single minded combat like that, is not engaging.

The last part, the biggest reason it is different than most MMO's? Each class has its own unique story. Although I imagine their will be some grinding, as its an RPG, I easily can see there being less grinding and more just quest related action. To say that it looks just like another MMO? Please. The graphical quality of the game isn't superb, and it could be because it is still in the early stages, but it also could be because as an MMO and only on PC it may be trying to be more accessible to various different players regardless of their PC specs.

Posted: April 23, 2010 11:12 AM
    ChrisHero22
  • bunnyglomp

I know this is still in alpha, or even beta, but honestly the combat they are so proud of doesn't look that impressive. Again, i know this is a early build, but shouldn't a video that is suppose to be wowing us with its combat at least look good?

Another issue im seeing is the mindset going into this game. "In other mmo's, you typicly see many 'hero's' fighting one boss. Thats not heroic. One man fighting impossible odds is heroic". To me, that seems like an excuse for grinding. In other MMO's, raids, instances, dungeons, even just standard quests are fun because there are a lot of friends working towards one goal.

Last bit...After hearing him say "you wont see things like this in other typical mmo's 5 mins in"
    Yes. We have. We will again. Its a standard into into the world and a small cluster of quests to help you along with the world. Just because you have skinned a model to have flashier guns doesn't mean its not something we havnt seen yet, Just means yours is the ones ADD kids want to see

Posted: April 23, 2010 10:55 AM
    bunnyglomp
  • Peatore

I still think that jedi/sith with make up most of the player base.

I'd like to be able to play as a HK droid,

HK-47 was my favorite KOTOR character.

Posted: April 23, 2010 10:38 AM