Sessler's Soapbox: Will Nintendo Do 3D the Right Way?

Posted: April 6, 2010
Sessler's Soapbox: Will Nintendo Do 3D the Right Way?

• Sabien

I am new to the site because it moves slowly on my cpu, but I don't know where I can send a question to Mr. Sessler. So my question is this. Do gamers really know what they want? I noticed that of late when Donkey Kong Country Returns was playable at E3 people came out saying "eeh it's ok ..." I shook my head and asked what the hell?! Isn't that what gamers want was a return to the old game with up dated graphics? Then I realized I had a similar feeling with Super Mario Galaxy 2. When I played the first game I felt that I wasn't in a galaxy but a solar system and not enough planets to jump to, but when I played SMG 2 the planets were too small and too many inbetween. I then understood, then I didn't know what I wanted, since my tastes change all the time. Seems to me that Gamers have become that spoiled child that feels they deserve more but when it's time for christmas game time, it's not good enough.
    There is nothing wrong for asking for the best, but to a point where we are asking all time for the next step is pushing it. I mean, wouldn't it be smart to slow down and enjoy what we have? We're only pleased it seems when some one does some thing new and even then that's a huge gamble. I mean look at Sonic the Hedgehog, The SonicTeam listend to the fans and look what happend! I'm not saying not to listen to the gamers but stand up to the Gamers when they may have no idea what they are talking about. So really the question is again, Do Gamers really know what they want?

Posted: June 19, 2010 5:27 PM
  • advent-seph@hotmail.com

While Adam Sessler does make some pretty good points as to how 3D isn't beneficial to the Gaming industry I just have to add that I find it wonderful because it truly does enhance the viewing experience. Avatar, for instance, was horrible. The script was a rip-off of Pocahontas in nearly every way. Why, then, did I watch it? Because of the 3D. The 3D made that horrible movie worthwhile. I actually felt like I got what I payed for. It may be a minor change to the way we game but so was Motion-Sensing and that was pretty successful.

We play games to be immersed into a world of wonder and beauty or of death and mayhem. Either way the idea is for the game to be a portal to escape into. it's like drugs but healthy... in a way. 3D would definitely enhance our ability to get immersed into alternate realities. Heck, we could be paving the way for Virtual Reality.

P.S. The penis analogy was a great way of communicating your reasons, Sessler. Consider this a compliment, well done with conveying your message.

Posted: May 18, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Portugeek

Anyone know the name of the shooter playing in the background?

Posted: May 12, 2010 2:46 PM
    Portugeek
  • BR4CR

When it comes to gaming, 3D isn't even out yet. Adam, I normally agree with you but dude, the tech is still at the factory. You have spent a LOT of time these past few months ting on something that doesn't even exist. Yes, we understand your fears of corporations mis-handling things, that's been seen before. Look, I'm smart enough to be agnostic because the jury is still out on monotheism. Be smart enough to say "Gee, 3D gaming isn't out yet. I sure hope they don't screw it up like they did with such-and-such in the past." You're smarter and more well-read than that, Adam.

Posted: April 12, 2010 6:41 PM
    BR4CR
  • GiantN64

I wholeheartedly agree that 3D gaming is akin to a phallic piercing. If 3D does take off and become the way of things I will just sit and wait for the Holodeck from Star Trek. There is no need for it now. Virtual Boy anyone?

Posted: April 12, 2010 12:33 PM
    GiantN64
  • Digital-Fishy

Pfft 3D? who cares i say SCREW 3D Gimmie my SNES BACK REVOLT AGAINST THE 3D VIDEO GAMES!!!

Posted: April 12, 2010 10:42 AM
    Digital-Fishy
  • Robin_Goose

totaly agree. 3D is a NWO conspiracy. Best soapbox Ever. Kojima needs to make a MGS about the 3D conspiracy.

Posted: April 11, 2010 10:01 AM
    Robin_Goose
  • Peragulator

Exactly how many television sets do I need to purchase?

Posted: April 10, 2010 9:31 PM
    Peragulator
  • firestorm713

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to use that head tracking system Johnny Lee made. (http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Jd3-eiid-Uw)

Posted: April 9, 2010 8:07 PM
  • phantomzxro

we will see i will keep an open mind about this 3D as long as gaming companies don't try to milk it to death with crappy port of games into 3d or shovel ware in 3d.

Posted: April 8, 2010 2:57 PM
    phantomzxro
  • JimMD102

Could you do me a favor Adam? Next time you're complaining about 3-D, could you say something along the lines of "These damn kids and their 3D!"; considering how often you joke about your age, that would make me crack up though not as much as the penis piercing analogy.

I completely agree with what you said about 3D. It doesn't make it worse for me, but it certainly doesn't make it better.

Posted: April 8, 2010 12:39 PM
    JimMD102
  • venom546

well i actually wear glasses allready and i actually dont like watching movies in 3d because i have to have another pair of glasses on glasses i allways wear so i dont think i would play games in 3d but i do think people would buy this 3d affect thing. but just saying i personally dont like 3d movies and now i wont try 3d games

Posted: April 8, 2010 12:22 PM
  • DudelRok

Motion controls, meet 3d.. 3d, met motion controls.

I, personally, see both of the above (motion controls and 3d) as nothing more than a cheap/crapy gimmick to sell to people who "don't know any better".

The movie industry did 3d before, remember?

What people/developers/whatever/etc NEED to do is bring things onto a single system/format. Start making things smaller and/or more compact with higher memory while lowering cost. That'll save their "industries".

Posted: April 8, 2010 3:18 AM
    DudelRok
  • GlaciusXL

I see what you re saying about 3d, Adam. If someone asked if I wanted 3d in gaming I d probably give a whatever shrug. But maybe we should consider a different viewpoint. I m neither for nor against 3d. So hear me out before writing it off as an argument. It's just a discussion.

3d is just tech. Like color TV, HD, Stereo, 5.1 etc. I don t think any of those things changed game-play. I mean, your 360 games play exactly the same in standard def black & white mono. Sure the color helps but it still plays the same. Sure the stereo sound helps but it still plays the same. Sure the 3d depth helps but it still plays the same.

I don t think 3d will ruin games. I understand that you have fears that somehow developers will make 3d JUST to make 3d, and I m sure some will at first. Just like sixaxis moments in games just to be there. But I would compare 3d most directly to stereo or 5.1 surround. After all, that s what it is, stereo for your eyes. Ask yourself, did games suddenly change when stereo was introduced? I don t know, but seeing as I didn t notice, I doubt it. But if they did add elements JUST for the stereo effect, it obviously died out really quick and the focus was back on the game experience.

Does surround sound enhance game-play? No more than 3d. It just adds a sense of space like 3d adds a sense of depth. And I m sure some people tried to be fancy with their audio at first. Oh listen, it s like it s RIGHT behind you!! But now you see where that has lead. The focus is on the game experience instead of making deliberate RIGHT BEHIND YOU noises for kicks. It s merely an assistance and extra enhancement. Is it necessary? No. Did it revolutionize gaming? Not really. Is it mandatory? No. 3d will be the same. Perhaps some games will be 3d only, but I would imagine those would number even less than online only games. But those would be games that wouldn t exist without the tech anyway.

So maybe the idea of 3d is fine, but it s those damn glasses. I seriously doubt that design is the final 3d experience. Remember corded phones? Remember fat monitors? Some geniuses found ways to free us from those things. I think the same will happen for 3d.

Back to visuals. Take HDTV for example. Did that do anything for game-play? No. Did standard def work fine? Sure. But HD adds an extra level of clarity. That sniper you probably couldn t make out unless it was HD might be that sniper you only spotted because of 3d. Would that be unfair in multiplayer for a 3d gamer to play a standard? No more than you playing on a 50 HD against a 19 standard on games today. Adam, you being a fan of platforming games I thought you might actually appreciate some 3d tech. I know there have been times in 3d platformers when you misjudged a jump because the platform in front of you wasn t the distance you thought. And then every time you have to make a jump you hesitate stop, rotate the camera left and right to get a sense of the platforms place in space, then jump. 3d would completely remove that issue just like surround lets you know where a sound came from without having to spin in circles to tell when it s louder. That s all the 3d should be seen as, just an extra layer. Like stereo. Like surround sound. Like rumble. Like HD. All new tech has a gimmick phase. But they always wear off quick. And when they do, that new tech is used in a very positive way.

Posted: April 7, 2010 11:56 PM
    GlaciusXL
  • Patriculus1989

I am currently sick, Adam. Hopefully I get better soon. Although it gave me an excuse to play some of my older games which I have cracked open for months. I have yet to buy a DS because I am not a handheld console fan (I currently have a dusty PSP on my desk). If I were to decide to get a DS, it would be the 3DS. I sadly get sucked into all this 3D nonsense when something comes out like Avatar. I think the 3DS seems kinda cool in concept, but I want to see what it actually looks like. Companies hype everything up to make people excited, but then it doesn't turn out the way people thought and they end up returning it or selling it on a site like eBay. So, I gotta see it to believe when it comes to things like this.

Posted: April 7, 2010 7:11 PM
  • kenady16

lol i thought gimmick was a wrestling term

Posted: April 7, 2010 6:05 PM
    kenady16
  • dgray1978

I'm with Adam I think that 3D gaming will be more of a curse to the industry than a blessing or rebirth, because I think that some devlopers will focus more on the 3D elements of the game than actually producing a good story. Now does Nintendo need to create a 3D handheld game console (3DS) I guess they do, they need a reason for the hardcore crowd to continue to buy their products. To pick on Nintendo one more time, instead of 3D gaming they could really focus on developers with good story driven games for their Wii and DS consoles and overhaul their online multiplayer service (an oxymoron I know). Then focus on 3D if need be.

Posted: April 7, 2010 5:06 PM
    dgray1978
  • madhatter81

Heh, I guess It's time for the return of the B game eh? At least we'll have some funny reviews again, like the old days : p

Posted: April 7, 2010 5:04 PM
    madhatter81
  • TheyTarget

I think current 3D in games is stupid. Simple as that. But if I have depth, it could make shooters a lot more interesting at the least. I see it adding a little bit more of that sense of scale to God of War type games. And maybe war scenarios in RPGs wont look as stupid anymore. Seeing as I only play the occasional shooter. I'll skip this tech until its widely accepted and cheaper. I mean I'd a thousand times rather play and old school like flat top down rpg, or a Zelda game rather then a 3D shooter. Stop just rapidly advancing tech and throwing away GOOD GAMES. I mean this will ruin the DS probably. I play DS cause I cant get that old school pixelated feel in modern games. We got rid of the platform genre to now, that was my favorite. I dont want to play ratchet and clank anymore, it was my least favorite platformer... end rant... start cry...

Posted: April 7, 2010 4:18 PM