Sessler's Soapbox: Sony Makes a Casual Move

Posted: March 16, 2010
Sessler's Soapbox: Sony Makes a Casual Move
Adam sits down to talk about why he thinks the Playstation Move is an important development in the world of gaming.

• sirkidd2003

I'm excited for the Move and Kinect having motion controls. The 360 and PS3 have more potential for motion control specific hard-core games than the Wii out of processing power and developer support alone! It'd be really cool to see if they can make use of that :)

Posted: January 29, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Someday49

Did anyone else hear that "pop" sound near 5:16?
    Sorry that just threw me off. Ooooo, I just got a message...... Wait! I'm not on Facebook right now. ???

Posted: July 8, 2010 9:55 PM
    Someday49
  • SomethingClever27

Adam, I would love to talk with you some time about marketing for indie gaming. I'm an avid gamer with over 10 years of software marketing experience. I've been pondering a move into the games field, and providing marketing expertise for independants would be a dream job.

You mentioned that you are used to interacting with the gaming press through certain channels, and gaining an understanding about that would be incredibly useful.

Posted: April 19, 2010 12:14 PM
    SomethingClever27
  • Jbumi

I think SONY made a smart move ensuring that hardcore games can be played with either the dual shock or the new move controller. This was their way not to alienate hardcore gamers. If they'd switched 100% to the move, I'd have been heartbroken.

I'm outside everyone's demographic (female, 54, hardcore JRPG fan). I'm also ill. The last thing I want to do on the days I have the strength (yes, it totally sucks that you need to know if you're up for it) to play is stand up & swing some blasted stick around.

Convert everything to motion controls & they've lost a consumer who's spent thousands on the hobby. I can't believe I'm the only one.

Motion control is great for party & kids games. I'm sure some developers will also focus some hardcore game with this function in mind. Just don't get carried away.

Posted: March 29, 2010 6:53 AM
    Jbumi
  • randallmcginness

I never really wanted to sit/stand there and swing my arms to play video games. I play to relax and do little movement. Even Heavy Rain seemed like a lot at times. Yes, I'm lazy. Socom though looked good. If they have accurate controls that respond quickly, I might think differently in the future.

After seeing the midevil fight, there is no excuse why Demon's Souls 2 should not take advantage of this.

I do think though that this has more potential than Natal. I for one, would like to use buttons and do not want to make a gun with my hand. Sony is going to have to do something huge though to seperate themselves from the Wii. They're going to need more than the less than a frame response time too.

Posted: March 23, 2010 9:27 PM
    randallmcginness
  • wiggum

Count me among those who don't care about the Move(real creative name). At least it's optional, nobody's going to be forced to use it or anything.

But waving some goofy dildo-looking thing around would just make me feel awkward and kinda embarrassed, especially if I'm playing with myself(!). I mean by myself. Yet I don't begrudge (much) those who are into that kind of thing. Knock yourselves out.

Posted: March 22, 2010 11:07 AM
    wiggum
  • Snotlocker

I agree with Shadow_ben. The Wii has the motion control aspect covered. Let Nintendo have its niche success with this generation of consoles, they earned it. Remember the Gamecube? Besides ResEvil4 it was a flop.

Posted: March 22, 2010 10:59 AM
    Snotlocker
  • Doom300

Agreed. Steve Jobs was the first one to make a operation system. Richi is just saying that since he loves Microsoft and believes Microsoft is everything. MS is trying to control everything but they'll fail by that point. Linux will end up taking over. So far, I believe Ubuntu Gnome has the latest success out of all. Atleast, I don't get prompted by a stupid problem from windows or them trying to send me a virus so they can scan my privacy.

Posted: March 22, 2010 9:28 AM
    Doom300
  • Shadow_ben_jamin

Its funny how people make fun of the Wii because its casual... yet no one seems to care when those casual games come to the PS3. I own a PS3 and a Wii so there is no real point for me to get this. Now like Adam I don't hate this at all its just not something I would want...

Posted: March 21, 2010 6:20 PM
    Shadow_ben_jamin
  • cardinalsfan1122

I think making it an option on games like socom 4 is actually a good thing because their saying "hey hardcore gamers were not going to force u to learn and have to use the move" I think their really trying not to leave the hardcore gamers out in the cold. I also think it saying people who arent good with the controller can still play those kinds of games without a controller by simplifying with the move.

Posted: March 21, 2010 8:56 AM
    cardinalsfan1122
  • EdSabre

I dont know. Wouldn't you think that all the casuals who could possibly be bought over by motion controls already own a Wii? The Wii has been around for a few years now and I think the audience it was intended for has already made their decision. Maybe I'll be totally wrong, but it seems like Sony and Microsoft's new motion control strategies will be too little, too late.

Posted: March 21, 2010 7:58 AM
    EdSabre
  • heeroyuyz13

THE DUAL STICKS!!!

Posted: March 20, 2010 8:10 PM
    heeroyuyz13
  • Vendetagainst

what's that show in the background?

Posted: March 20, 2010 7:38 AM
    Vendetagainst
  • Doug Otto

Adam Sessler are face off my butt.

Posted: March 19, 2010 1:22 PM
    Doug+Otto
  • PretentiousName01

Casuals ruin everything.

Posted: March 19, 2010 9:22 AM
    PretentiousName01
  • blacka

this BORES me anybody want some grapes... (BITCHES)

Posted: March 19, 2010 9:18 AM
    blacka
  • hamilmac

Adam, I've been watching you for years and you've made a lot of comments in the last year about being old. The common wisdom is that "hardcore" gaming is for kids or young adults. I'm 43. I love playing video games. I own all three consoles and a PC and play games on all of them (though not so much on the Wii). And, yes, I'm old enough to have played Pong when it first came out. (For those who are wondering I have a wife, kids, house, cars, good-paying day job, etc.) How much of the current gaming market includes middle-aged gamers who've played since Pong or Intellivision or the Atari 2600 (and who could forget Loderunner on the Apple 2e) who still love playing modern games like Mass Effect 2 and God of War 3. And you are SO right: give me a (good) lightsaber motion control game and I'll be in gaming heaven.

Let's not discount the middle-aged gamer. True, motion capture games will probably have to take our older, slower, not-so-fluid movements into account, but I will play them until I can't move any more.

Posted: March 19, 2010 7:26 AM
    hamilmac
  • lonesome killer

What they need to do is make hardcore games that use Move functionality. I loved the Wii concept, but I want to play online and trash talk or build strategies with my teammates. You can't do that on Wii. Why is there some mindset that these new control methods are only for casual games?

Posted: March 19, 2010 7:15 AM
    lonesome+killer
  • Zomgnome

Tell you what, if this thing gives us ANYTHING like Zelda : TP or MP3 (for the WII, two true hardcore games that offer a very unique, fun and ADDICTING control scheme), ill be very happy with this. Tell you the truth I've been dying to play adventure games like these two on the PS3 anyway (graphics), but anything serious can be good, if this thing is more accurate then the WII they can do everything they want. The problem is what they want to do with it, seems to be, well, disappointing. Socom that can be played with the "MOVE" and with the normal controller... Well I don't think its a very good idea for now, besides, who cares about socom after what they did to me with Socom:C (lags rend it unplayable). Well, if it comes out good and get us some good and serious games, awesome. If not, Fable 3 with Natal looks very intriguing, It was hard enough not to see a Fable 2 box on my shelf.

Posted: March 19, 2010 5:47 AM
    Zomgnome
  • rikkuster

haha, the lightsaber game again, huh Adam?

Posted: March 18, 2010 7:58 PM