GDC 2010: Man Runs Inside Giant Rolling Sensor Ball

Posted: March 12, 2010
GDC 2010: Man Runs Inside Giant Rolling Sensor Ball
The future of immersive FPS gaming? Not sure, but watching an adult run inside of a large hamster-like sensor device at GDC 2010.

Tags:

GDC, GDC 2010

• dudewhatup123

this is awsome I cant wait 4 the awsome hampster arcade ball to come out in arcades...wear is this thing enney way

Posted: November 1, 2011 6:43 PM
  • christof_

whaaaaat?....

Posted: March 15, 2010 9:54 AM
    christof_
  • theY2Kbug

well thats intresting

Posted: March 14, 2010 2:07 PM
    theY2Kbug
  • Aburame

Great, ill take one. Ill just ship it out to my summer home in Prague. Put it next to my diamond-studded piano in my living room and my indoor swimming pool and suana.

Posted: March 13, 2010 8:31 PM
    Aburame
  • sonyboy_1

wow its a great idea for dave n buster's or game arcades but not for homeuse at alll

Posted: March 13, 2010 6:39 PM
    sonyboy_1
  • V_Translanka

Anything that brings us closer to holodecks is thumbs up in my book!

Posted: March 13, 2010 4:13 PM
    V_Translanka
  • The_Dude_13

They need to take a cue from the movie "Robot Jox" where the players were partially suspended at the waist so they could easily walk or run in place. Then they would just have to have 4 motion capture cameras, like the Eye Toy, placed on all 4 sides and a pad under the feet, like the Wii Balance Board. The whole rig would be a lot smaller then that huge ball and you could use any monitor you wanted.

"Robot Jox" fight scene:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Posted: March 13, 2010 10:03 AM
    The_Dude_13
  • LilGrim504

Nope I dont think so....
    Who haves the room for it??? lame !!!

Posted: March 13, 2010 9:20 AM
    LilGrim504
  • tragedy93

I think this is a great way to get core gamers in shape. It kind of reminds me of those gamers who hooked exersise bikes or treadmills or whatever to their computers a couple of years back so that every time they to a step or turned the crank one revoluton it would make the keyboard think that the "W" key was pressed. They used it for doing exactly what was suggested above- traveling long distances in WoW. I think that if the players also had to be atletes, it might make competitive gaming be seem more legitamate as a sport in some peoples eyes. Thank you so much, I bow to you, my Hamster Lords.

Posted: March 13, 2010 6:39 AM
    tragedy93
  • GhoulSlayeR

Yeah, this is so going to fit in my tiny apartment.

Sorry about the noice neighrbor, I'm playing on my Hamster Sphere 360 (tm).

Posted: March 13, 2010 3:07 AM
  • YoungMadas

Were gonna make gamers fit again, one ball at a time! =P

Posted: March 12, 2010 5:59 PM
  • jkafo

dude this could bring back arcades back to the states

Posted: March 12, 2010 5:15 PM
    jkafo
  • Mr_Paisley

At first I thought they were serious, and then they added that short little text underneath the video *phew*.

Posted: March 12, 2010 4:45 PM
    Mr_Paisley
  • Asnoochie1

that just looks silly

Posted: March 12, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Infinius

You have no idea what you're talking about. I so want one of those. It's make crossing long distances in WoW and Brutal Legend good for something - Keeping be fit and distracted from the ridiculously long travel times.

Posted: March 12, 2010 3:43 PM
    Infinius
  • Jeespot

ya i don't know about the practicality of this device. Plus having to where those screen goggles is just like having a monitor point blank at your eyes, which leads to a bad headache from over stressing your eyes. It'd be better to get rid of that. Ideally if i was in charge of this project I'd look to change the balls material to something more opaque so you can see through it easily, place it the middle of a room surrounded by four white projector screens, a projector apparatus in the middle top of the room shooting 4 to 6 different lenses rendering a full 360 view of a video game setting around you, and that way as you run around in the ball it renders the movement all around you, like you're in the world get it? If they steal my idea they owe me money!

Posted: March 12, 2010 3:02 PM
    Jeespot
  • Colty Byrd

what an underwhelming video........

Posted: March 12, 2010 2:19 PM
    Colty+Byrd
  • SteveKB

when I run I don't walk after D:< lol

Posted: March 12, 2010 1:07 PM
    SteveKB
  • TheSauceMan

You're looking at the Playstation 6 (or any other console in 20 years)

Posted: March 12, 2010 1:01 PM
    TheSauceMan
  • JustTheBeginning

I would so pay to watch him trip going full speed in there.

Posted: March 12, 2010 12:43 PM